Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: NFS Woes!

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 22, 2008
      Charles Lindsey wrote:
      > And I now find that it needs the idmapd daemon to be running before it will
      > mount files using NFS Version 4.
      >
      > Is this daemon available anywhere on this site (I can't find it), and if not
      > could someone with the necessary compiling facilities please put it up?
      >
      > And that looks like another missing dependency :-( .

      NFS v4 is not supported, so it's no surprise that there are missing
      dependencies. I took a look at it around the SlugOS 4.8 release
      timeframe (December of last year), and it didn't look like it was yet
      ported to OE -- and doing so was non-trivial.

      In the spirit of open-source, what that usually means is that those with
      the need should do the work :) Things might be different in OE by now
      (i.e. somebody may have put the necessary stuff to support the full NFS
      v4 stuff in OE for one project or another, if so we just need for
      someone to build it and test it. Otherwise, someone will have to figure
      out what's involved and build the initial support (i.e. bitbake recipes)
      to get it working.

      Mike (mwester)

      P.S. -- a bit of digging on some of the other stuff you've reported
      shows that NFS exporting of JFFS2 is simply not a supported thing to do.
      Kernel patches exist, but it seems that either nobody has sent the
      requisite patches to the maintainers, or perhaps the patches have been
      rejected for one reason or another. If you feel strongly that NFS
      exporting tmpfs or jffs2 partitions is important, you might try to
      contact the authors of the patches to see what ever happened to some of
      those.
    • Charles Lindsey
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 23, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

        > Charles Lindsey wrote:
        > > And I now find that it needs the idmapd daemon to be running before it will
        > > mount files using NFS Version 4.
        > >
        > > Is this daemon available anywhere on this site (I can't find it), and if not
        > > could someone with the necessary compiling facilities please put it up?
        > >
        > > And that looks like another missing dependency :-( .
        >
        > NFS v4 is not supported, so it's no surprise that there are missing
        > dependencies. I took a look at it around the SlugOS 4.8 release
        > timeframe (December of last year), and it didn't look like it was yet
        > ported to OE -- and doing so was non-trivial.

        Slugos and the NFSD that comes with it purport to support NFS Version 4
        (incoming requests, that is) because it correctly accepts the NULL4
        command when it arrives (which causes the client to continue with
        Version 4 instead of dropping down to Version 3). Indeed, it works
        with Version 4 so long as you are trying to mount '/', but for mounting
        anything else it gives you
        Jul 22 19:01:27 (none) user.warn kernel: nfsd: nfsv4 idmapping
        failing: has idmapd not been started?
        in the syslog.

        > In the spirit of open-source, what that usually means is that those with
        > the need should do the work :)

        Indeed, but until I have fixed myself an ARM cross-compiler, I am not in
        a position to fix it.

        I can force my system to use V3 in the meantime, but as a matter of principle
        it ought to be put right. Though I do get the impression that NFS V4 is a
        fairly recent addition to Linux and there are other reports of its flakiness.

        > Things might be different in OE by now

        OE == Outlook Express??? I don't allow any Microsoft products anywhere
        near my system :-) .

        > P.S. -- a bit of digging on some of the other stuff you've reported
        > shows that NFS exporting of JFFS2 is simply not a supported thing to do.

        Sure, I can manage without that, but it needs documenting in the relevant Wiki,
        which I shall do.
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 23, 2008
          Charles Lindsey wrote:
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:
          >> Charles Lindsey wrote:
          >>> And I now find that it needs the idmapd daemon to be running before it will
          >>> mount files using NFS Version 4.
          >>>
          >>> Is this daemon available anywhere on this site (I can't find it), and if not
          >>> could someone with the necessary compiling facilities please put it up?
          >>>
          >>> And that looks like another missing dependency :-( .
          >> NFS v4 is not supported, so it's no surprise that there are missing
          >> dependencies. I took a look at it around the SlugOS 4.8 release
          >> timeframe (December of last year), and it didn't look like it was yet
          >> ported to OE -- and doing so was non-trivial.
          >
          > Slugos and the NFSD that comes with it purport to support NFS Version 4
          > (incoming requests, that is) because it correctly accepts the NULL4
          > command when it arrives (which causes the client to continue with
          > Version 4 instead of dropping down to Version 3). Indeed, it works
          > with Version 4 so long as you are trying to mount '/', but for mounting
          > anything else it gives you
          > Jul 22 19:01:27 (none) user.warn kernel: nfsd: nfsv4 idmapping
          > failing: has idmapd not been started?
          > in the syslog.

          No, that does not indicate that it "purports to support NFS Version 4";
          that only indicates that I didn't go through the sources and remove that
          stuff!

          >> In the spirit of open-source, what that usually means is that those with
          >> the need should do the work :)
          >
          > Indeed, but until I have fixed myself an ARM cross-compiler, I am not in
          > a position to fix it.

          See the wiki section on the Master Makefile -- it works pretty well.

          > I can force my system to use V3 in the meantime, but as a matter of principle
          > it ought to be put right. Though I do get the impression that NFS V4 is a
          > fairly recent addition to Linux and there are other reports of its flakiness.
          >
          >> Things might be different in OE by now
          >
          > OE == Outlook Express??? I don't allow any Microsoft products anywhere
          > near my system :-) .

          See http://www.openembedded.org/ ; this is the environment used to build
          SlugOS (and Unslung).

          >> P.S. -- a bit of digging on some of the other stuff you've reported
          >> shows that NFS exporting of JFFS2 is simply not a supported thing to do.
          >
          > Sure, I can manage without that, but it needs documenting in the relevant Wiki,
          > which I shall do.

          Certainly you can put a note in the wiki on this. However, the general
          case for SlugOS is that it is a standard Linux distro, and in that
          regard the other places on the web that note the limitations of NFS
          apply to SlugOS just as well.

          Since the NFS v4 is a difference at this point (although it is still
          considered "not ready for prime time", it is commonly available for
          other distros), *that* point should definitely appear in the wiki.

          Mike (mwester)
        • Charles Lindsey
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2008
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@...> wrote:

            > Charles Lindsey wrote:
            > > Slugos and the NFSD that comes with it purport to support NFS Version 4
            > > (incoming requests, that is) because it correctly accepts the NULL4
            > > command when it arrives (which causes the client to continue with
            > > Version 4 instead of dropping down to Version 3)....

            > No, that does not indicate that it "purports to support NFS Version 4";
            > that only indicates that I didn't go through the sources and remove that
            > stuff!

            Ah! So it's
            "Do What I Mean"
            as opposed to
            "Do What I Say" :-)

            Though I do find it rather odd that Slugos 4.8, which is based on
            Linux 2.6.21.7 (Aug 2007) still recommends the use of nfs-utils version
            1.0.6, which dates from Sept 2004 - at which time Linux 2.6.8 was all
            we had. A lot of new stuff went into version 1.0.7 (much of it, such as
            idmapd, related to NFS4). I am quite sure that the people who put
            Linux 2.6.21.7 together were working on the assumtion that it would
            be used in conjunction with at least version 1.0.7 of nfs-utils,
            if not version 1.0.8.

            > > Indeed, but until I have fixed myself an ARM cross-compiler, I am not in
            > > a position to fix it.
            >
            > See the wiki section on the Master Makefile -- it works pretty well.

            Sure, I have seen that, but it is rather low on my list of "things to do"
            at the moment.

            > Certainly you can put a note in the wiki on this. However, the general
            > case for SlugOS is that it is a standard Linux distro, and in that
            > regard the other places on the web that note the limitations of NFS
            > apply to SlugOS just as well.

            Sure, but it seems that Linux 2.6.21.7 claims to be good enough to
            welcome NFS4 clients now (letting it act as an an NFS client to
            external servers is a different matter, or course). In which case, it noone
            exposes it to such clients (and they are becoming increasingly common)
            then we shall never learn what final bugs remain.

            > Since the NFS v4 is a difference at this point (although it is still
            > considered "not ready for prime time", it is commonly available for
            > other distros), *that* point should definitely appear in the wiki.

            Sure, I shall try to cover all those angles. At least that IS my next job.
          • Charles Lindsey
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 19 7:12 AM
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Lindsey" <clerew5@...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@> wrote:

              > > Certainly you can put a note in the wiki on this. However, the general
              > > case for SlugOS is that it is a standard Linux distro, and in that
              > > regard the other places on the web that note the limitations of NFS
              > > apply to SlugOS just as well.
              >
              > Sure, but it seems that Linux 2.6.21.7 claims to be good enough to
              > welcome NFS4 clients now (letting it act as an an NFS client to
              > external servers is a different matter, or course). In which case, it noone
              > exposes it to such clients (and they are becoming increasingly common)
              > then we shall never learn what final bugs remain.
              > >
              > > Since the NFS v4 is a difference at this point (although it is still
              > > considered "not ready for prime time", it is commonly available for
              > > other distros), *that* point should definitely appear in the wiki.
              >
              > Sure, I shall try to cover all those angles. At least that IS my next job.

              OK, in the course or preparing my wiki, I observed another problem.

              It seems (see exportfs man page) that export can function in either 'legacy'
              or 'new_cache' mode; Slugos seems to default to 'legacy' mode but,
              if SlugOS is trying to be a "standard Linux distro" as you said above, then
              'new_cache' mode ought to become the norm. So I tried it, and it worked
              fine, except for one thing: it did not keep /var/lib/nfs/rmtab up to date.
              I have just had some correspondence with Neil Brown, who looks after
              that corner of Linux, and he admits that:

              Well, rmtab is a bit of a 'crock'. The NFS/MOUNT protocols do not
              make it possible to keep it up-to-date accurately. Best advice is to
              ignore it, but that isn't always an option I guess.

              And indeed, rmtab is only used in order to re-export stuff that was mounted
              at the time of a crash, and the worst that can happen is that it exports stuff
              that it needn't have (though still consistent with /etc/exports). He has no
              immediate plan to fix the problem (and it may well get worse in NFSv4), but
              he did say that nfs-utils version 1.1.1 had fixed some problems in that area,
              and might be better (and the latest is actually 1.1.3). Moreover, a later
              version of nfs-utils might well make clients trying to use NFSv4 behave
              (and make SlugOS more of a "standard Linux distro"). I grant you that
              letting SlugOS behave as an NFSv4 client would be an entirely different
              matter.
            • Charles Lindsey
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 20 10:15 AM
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Lindsey" <clerew5@...> wrote:

                > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Lindsey" <clerew5@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mike (mwester)" <mwester@> wrote:
                >

                > > > Since the NFS v4 is a difference at this point (although it is still
                > > > considered "not ready for prime time", it is commonly available for
                > > > other distros), *that* point should definitely appear in the wiki.
                > >
                > > Sure, I shall try to cover all those angles. At least that IS my next job.
                > >
                > OK, in the course or preparing my wiki, I observed another problem.

                OK, I have now added the result of my various researches to the existing
                "InstallNFS" page <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallNFS>

                Also did a bit of tidying up on that page to make a clear distinction between
                the 'nfs' and 'nfsd' modules.

                Share and Enjoy!