Re: [nslu2-linux] FTP

  • Aristotle Allen
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
      FTP would be great, i kind of gave up on the idea, but I would love to
      have it. NFS and CIFS are simply too chatty to be used over long
      distances, FTP would definately solve that problem. Then I could set
      up an external route that will actually be useful.

      -

      Ari

      On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:35:53 -0600 (MDT), Jim Buzbee <jbuzbee@...> wrote:
      > On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Reggie Suplido wrote:
      >
      > > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
      >
      > I havn't built an ftp server, but I think it would be fairly easy. If
      > you want to try it, look for the link to cross-compiler tools on my
      > site, find ftp server source and give it a try...
      >
      > www.batbox.org/nslu2-linux.html
      >
      > Jim
      >

      > > Thanks.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      -
      Aristotle B. Allen
    • joule360
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Aristotle Allen
        <aristotle.allen@g...> wrote:
        > FTP would be great, i kind of gave up on the idea, but I would love
        > have it. NFS and CIFS are simply too chatty to be used over long
        > distances, FTP would definately solve that problem. Then I could
        set
        > up an external route that will actually be useful.
        >
        > -

        NFS is certainly insecure outside of a secured LAN - one can easily
        spoof NFS provided one can connect to the LAN with a machine to which
        one has root access.

        I'm not so certain about FTP either - ftp does transmit data in clear
        format, and if I understand it correctly, FTP sends username/password
        data via cleartext as well.

        CIFS is actually not all that bad since you can, *I think*, encrypt
        password transmission.

        For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
        using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
        for the nslu2.

        nl
      • Jim Buzbee
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
          On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, joule360 wrote:

          > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
          > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
          > for the nslu2.
          >
          > nl

          Check out dropbear. It's an embedded version of ssh

          http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html

          Jim

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Jim Buzbee "I was gratified to be able to
          jbuzbee@... answer promptly, and I did. I
          http://batbox.org said I didn't know." Mark Twain
        • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
            > Check out dropbear. It's an embedded version of ssh
            >
            > http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html
            >
            > Jim

            I know that is the one used with the WRT54G sveasoft firmware...but I tried
            looking for documentation for that sshd, so I could add user/id and port
            forwarding to my WRT54G (similar to the cygwin ssh client)...but I was
            unable to find more than the most rudimentary of documentation on dropbear.

            Did I just miss it, or does someone else know where I can find more info on
            the subject?

            David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
            Powerpro Yahoogroup - Come, talk and learn. http://tinyurl.com/2sf7d
            Funstuff: Yoda of Borg are we. Futile is resistance. Assimilate you, we
            will.
          • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
              > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what about
              > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
              > for the nslu2.

              Wouldn't the addition of a ssh v2 server, give you sftp capabilities? Sounds
              like something nice.... =)

              David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
              So you think file sharing kills innovation? http://tinyurl.com/ywqq2
              Funstuff: In mathematics or physics, simplifying can be complicated.
            • joule360
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
                Surely...if we are going to make the files on the NSLU2 available
                outside of a firewalled lan, security needs to be addressed. Speaking
                of which, btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped with
                the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc, putting
                your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security hole once
                someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not extending any
                effort in that direction having easily created my own account with
                root access separate from the linksys accounts, but I assume SOMEONE
                is or will be soon enough).

                Presumably none of the web access files and utilities have a password
                hard coded into them that will get broken if you change these default
                passwords; I haven't had a chance to scan all of them to see what
                might break, and some of the .cgi scripts are binary so that's a bit
                more difficult. Of course, you can use the web access to change the
                admin password, but not root or mytelnetrescueuser.

                Just a word of warning on security.

                nl

                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, WRT54G.yg@d... wrote:
                > > For totally secure transmission over an external network, what
                about
                > > using ssh tunnelling - which means getting scp, sftp, etc compiled
                > > for the nslu2.
                >
                > Wouldn't the addition of a ssh v2 server, give you sftp
                capabilities? Sounds
                > like something nice.... =)
                >
                > David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                > So you think file sharing kills innovation? http://tinyurl.com/ywqq2
                > Funstuff: In mathematics or physics, simplifying can be complicated.
              • Eugene
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 10, 2004
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "joule360" <joule360@y...> wrote:
                  > btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped with
                  > the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc, putting
                  > your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security hole once
                  > someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not extending any
                  > effort in that direction having easily created my own account with
                  > root access separate from the linksys accounts, but I assume SOMEONE
                  > is or will be soon enough).

                  It won't be a problem unless TelNet is on, and if someone has turned
                  it on I'm sure they'll reset the passwords first thing.
                • Brian
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 10, 2004
                    --- On Mon 08/09, joule360 < joule360@... > wrote:

                    > Surely...if we are going to make the files on the NSLU2 available
                    > outside of a firewalled lan, security needs to be addressed.
                    > Speaking
                    > of which, btw: since presumably ALL of these units are shipped
                    > with the same passwords for root, the telnet rescue account, etc,
                    > putting your NSLU2 on the network is goign to create a security
                    > hole once someone out there cracks the default passwords (I'm not
                    > extending any effort in that direction having easily created my
                    > own account with root access separate from the linksys accounts,
                    > but I assume SOMEONE is or will be soon enough).

                    > Just a word of warning on security.

                    Good point!

                    As it is, there is a SIMPLE way to replace the root password, that is, mounting the drive on another machine, and changing it to something (like the one for the 'admin' user), telnetting in, and changing it using 'passwd'.

                    As for mounting it, using a 'live' Linux disk/CD, you can easily mount it, even on a dedicated Windows computer. I used my XP laptop, as it was just easier to do it on there.

                    Brian

                    No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
                  • phew_uk2001
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido" <rsuplido@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
                      >
                      > Thanks.

                      With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                      forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                      (unslung 1.7).

                      I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                      that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.

                      ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.

                      phew.
                    • joule360
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                        Just as an aside, I am fairly certain that ftpd was on the stock
                        linksys install as well. I don't know much re the differences between
                        various ftp daemons.

                        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...> wrote:
                        > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido"
                        <rsuplido@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?
                        > >
                        > > Thanks.
                        >
                        > With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                        > forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                        > (unslung 1.7).
                        >
                        > I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                        > that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.
                        >
                        > ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.
                        >
                        > phew.
                      • Dave Bixler
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                          If it wasn't, it was in that romfs file.

                          wrote:

                          Is there a way I can FTP to the NSLU2 rather than by SMB?

                          Thanks.

                          With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                          forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                          (unslung 1.7).

                          I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but assume
                          that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.

                          ..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.

                          phew.

                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • joule360
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                            Yes, now that you mention it, I think that's where I got it.

                            nl

                            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Dave Bixler <dbixler@w...> wrote:
                            > If it wasn't, it was in that romfs file.
                            >
                            > joule360 wrote:
                            >
                            > >Just as an aside, I am fairly certain that ftpd was on the stock
                            > >linksys install as well. I don't know much re the differences
                            between
                            > >various ftp daemons.
                            > >
                            > >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "phew_uk2001" <phew@m...>
                            wrote:

                            > >>--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Reggie Suplido"
                            > >>

                            > ><rsuplido@y...>

                            > >>With thanks to the much needed help that I got from peeps in this
                            > >>forum; I have managed to get wu-ftpd-2.6.2 running on my nslu2
                            > >>(unslung 1.7).
                            > >>
                            > >>I can (for now) only access it via an anonymous account, but
                            assume
                            > >>that is down to my inability to set up the configuration properly.
                            > >>
                            > >>..and thanks again for the effort and patience of all those here.
                            > >>
                            > >>phew.
                            > >>

                            > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • phew_uk2001
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                              The 'thanks' was for me being able to compile at all!

                              This seemed as good a thread to close as any.

                              I was unaware of any ftpd in the original; could this maybe have been
                              mentioned earlier (maybe i missed it)..and the thread closed out then?