Re: [nslu2-linux] USB ports gradually failed on nslu2 (slugos)

  • eliask
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5 3:13 AM
      David Given wrote:

      > Elias Konstadinidis wrote:
      > The NSLU2 has notoriously bad USB power circuitry, and the power
      > supplies themselves are a bit dodgy. I had similar problems which
      > eventually turned out to be the power supply not providing enough power
      > to reliably drive USB devices.
      >
      > You might have luck connecting your devices to the NSLU2 via a powered
      > USB hub, but it's probably worth getting hold of a new power supply and
      > seeing whether that helps any.
      >
      > --
      > David Given
      > dg@...

      After doing a "turnup flash" the nslu did not boot up again. And without any
      usb device at all. Then I tried reverting to the original linksys firmware
      but the situation did not change. The Power/Status led always blinking
      (green with the linksys firmware and yellow with slugos firmware). I tried
      doing ResetSysConf with redboot but the same problem persists. Finally I
      tried EraseAll with the same results. My slug when booting it beeps once and
      then the Power/Status led blinks forever. I think it's definitely broken. I
      have a useless nslu now.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5 3:24 AM
        eliask wrote:
        > David Given wrote:
        >> Elias Konstadinidis wrote:
        >> The NSLU2 has notoriously bad USB power circuitry, and the power
        >> supplies themselves are a bit dodgy. I had similar problems which
        >> eventually turned out to be the power supply not providing enough power
        >> to reliably drive USB devices.
        >>
        >> You might have luck connecting your devices to the NSLU2 via a powered
        >> USB hub, but it's probably worth getting hold of a new power supply and
        >> seeing whether that helps any.
        >>
        > After doing a "turnup flash" the nslu did not boot up again. And without any
        > usb device at all. Then I tried reverting to the original linksys firmware
        > but the situation did not change. The Power/Status led always blinking
        > (green with the linksys firmware and yellow with slugos firmware). I tried
        > doing ResetSysConf with redboot but the same problem persists. Finally I
        > tried EraseAll with the same results. My slug when booting it beeps once and
        > then the Power/Status led blinks forever. I think it's definitely broken. I
        > have a useless nslu now.

        But did you change the power supply before doing all that?

        Have you tried since with a new power supply?

        -- Rod
      • eliask
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5 3:42 AM
          Rod Whitby-2 wrote:

          > But did you change the power supply before doing all that?
          >
          > Have you tried since with a new power supply?
          >
          > -- Rod

          Actually, no because I don't have another power supply available. But I
          didn't plugged any usb device on it. It's like when I bought it and it
          should work as I have flashed the original firmware. But it does not.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5 4:51 AM
            eliask wrote:
            > Rod Whitby-2 wrote:
            >> But did you change the power supply before doing all that?
            >>
            >> Have you tried since with a new power supply?
            >>
            > Actually, no because I don't have another power supply available. But I
            > didn't plugged any usb device on it. It's like when I bought it and it
            > should work as I have flashed the original firmware. But it does not.

            And the reason it does not is most likely because the power supply is
            not providing 5V to the internal circuitry. Presence of USB is probably
            irrelevant at this stage of the power supply's demise.

            Buy a new 5V power supply and test it out. It's over 90% likely you
            will be able to reflash it and it will be like new. It's worked for
            most other people who've reported the same symptoms you have.

            -- Rod
          • David Given
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5 4:59 AM
              eliask wrote:
              [...]
              > Actually, no because I don't have another power supply available. But I
              > didn't plugged any usb device on it. It's like when I bought it and it
              > should work as I have flashed the original firmware. But it does not.

              One thing that's worth doing is connecting up a powered USB hub,
              *disconnecting* the NSLU2's power supply, and seeing if it boots. Yes,
              really! The USB power lines are tied directly to the NSLU2's power lines
              so that it's possible to power the NSLU2 from the hub. (I wasn't kidding
              when I said the power supply circuitry was dodgy.)

              │ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
              │ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
              │ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup
            • Elias Konstadinidis
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7 3:55 AM
                > And the reason it does not is most likely because the power supply is
                > not providing 5V to the internal circuitry. Presence of USB is
                probably
                > irrelevant at this stage of the power supply's demise.
                >
                > Buy a new 5V power supply and test it out. It's over 90% likely you
                > will be able to reflash it and it will be like new. It's worked for
                > most other people who've reported the same symptoms you have.
                >
                > -- Rod

                I bought a new power supply (5V, 3A) but the situation stays the same.
                Ready light is blinking and nothing happens. I will try doing
                ResetSysConf again and reflash. If it does not work I will replace it.