Re: [nslu2-linux] USB ports gradually failed on nslu2 (slugos)

  • David Given
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2008
      Elias Konstadinidis wrote:
      > I got a NSLU2 an upgraded it with SlugOS 4.8 Beta. I used a flash disk
      > (2GB)
      > as main drive and it was working fine. Sometimes while turning it on it
      > didn't recognize the external flash disk and booted from the internal.
      > Gradually, this became permanent situation and now it only boots from the
      > internal flash disk. It seems not to recognize any usb flash disk I use or
      > even any usb device at all.
      > Here is the dmesg log:

      The NSLU2 has notoriously bad USB power circuitry, and the power
      supplies themselves are a bit dodgy. I had similar problems which
      eventually turned out to be the power supply not providing enough power
      to reliably drive USB devices.

      You might have luck connecting your devices to the NSLU2 via a powered
      USB hub, but it's probably worth getting hold of a new power supply and
      seeing whether that helps any.

      --
      David Given
      dg@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
        David Given wrote:

        > Elias Konstadinidis wrote:
        > The NSLU2 has notoriously bad USB power circuitry, and the power
        > supplies themselves are a bit dodgy. I had similar problems which
        > eventually turned out to be the power supply not providing enough power
        > to reliably drive USB devices.
        >
        > You might have luck connecting your devices to the NSLU2 via a powered
        > USB hub, but it's probably worth getting hold of a new power supply and
        > seeing whether that helps any.
        >
        > --
        > David Given
        > dg@...

        After doing a "turnup flash" the nslu did not boot up again. And without any
        usb device at all. Then I tried reverting to the original linksys firmware
        but the situation did not change. The Power/Status led always blinking
        (green with the linksys firmware and yellow with slugos firmware). I tried
        doing ResetSysConf with redboot but the same problem persists. Finally I
        tried EraseAll with the same results. My slug when booting it beeps once and
        then the Power/Status led blinks forever. I think it's definitely broken. I
        have a useless nslu now.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
          eliask wrote:
          > David Given wrote:
          >> Elias Konstadinidis wrote:
          >> The NSLU2 has notoriously bad USB power circuitry, and the power
          >> supplies themselves are a bit dodgy. I had similar problems which
          >> eventually turned out to be the power supply not providing enough power
          >> to reliably drive USB devices.
          >>
          >> You might have luck connecting your devices to the NSLU2 via a powered
          >> USB hub, but it's probably worth getting hold of a new power supply and
          >> seeing whether that helps any.
          >>
          > After doing a "turnup flash" the nslu did not boot up again. And without any
          > usb device at all. Then I tried reverting to the original linksys firmware
          > but the situation did not change. The Power/Status led always blinking
          > (green with the linksys firmware and yellow with slugos firmware). I tried
          > doing ResetSysConf with redboot but the same problem persists. Finally I
          > tried EraseAll with the same results. My slug when booting it beeps once and
          > then the Power/Status led blinks forever. I think it's definitely broken. I
          > have a useless nslu now.

          But did you change the power supply before doing all that?

          Have you tried since with a new power supply?

          -- Rod
        • eliask
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
            Rod Whitby-2 wrote:

            > But did you change the power supply before doing all that?
            >
            > Have you tried since with a new power supply?
            >
            > -- Rod

            Actually, no because I don't have another power supply available. But I
            didn't plugged any usb device on it. It's like when I bought it and it
            should work as I have flashed the original firmware. But it does not.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
              eliask wrote:
              > Rod Whitby-2 wrote:
              >> But did you change the power supply before doing all that?
              >>
              >> Have you tried since with a new power supply?
              >>
              > Actually, no because I don't have another power supply available. But I
              > didn't plugged any usb device on it. It's like when I bought it and it
              > should work as I have flashed the original firmware. But it does not.

              And the reason it does not is most likely because the power supply is
              not providing 5V to the internal circuitry. Presence of USB is probably
              irrelevant at this stage of the power supply's demise.

              Buy a new 5V power supply and test it out. It's over 90% likely you
              will be able to reflash it and it will be like new. It's worked for
              most other people who've reported the same symptoms you have.

              -- Rod
            • David Given
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2008
                eliask wrote:
                [...]
                > Actually, no because I don't have another power supply available. But I
                > didn't plugged any usb device on it. It's like when I bought it and it
                > should work as I have flashed the original firmware. But it does not.

                One thing that's worth doing is connecting up a powered USB hub,
                *disconnecting* the NSLU2's power supply, and seeing if it boots. Yes,
                really! The USB power lines are tied directly to the NSLU2's power lines
                so that it's possible to power the NSLU2 from the hub. (I wasn't kidding
                when I said the power supply circuitry was dodgy.)

                │ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
                │ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
                │ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup
              • Elias Konstadinidis
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7, 2008
                  > And the reason it does not is most likely because the power supply is
                  > not providing 5V to the internal circuitry. Presence of USB is
                  probably
                  > irrelevant at this stage of the power supply's demise.
                  >
                  > Buy a new 5V power supply and test it out. It's over 90% likely you
                  > will be able to reflash it and it will be like new. It's worked for
                  > most other people who've reported the same symptoms you have.
                  >
                  > -- Rod

                  I bought a new power supply (5V, 3A) but the situation stays the same.
                  Ready light is blinking and nothing happens. I will try doing
                  ResetSysConf again and reflash. If it does not work I will replace it.