Re: [nslu2-linux] Debian installer is too slow for NSLU2

  • Kevin Price
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hi!

      John Reiser schrieb:
      > [nslu2-linux] Debian installer is too slow for NSLU2

      Too slow would be if it didn't work at all. It does work, so it is
      admittedly very slow, but not too slow.

      > How can we encourage debian-installer to achieve cross-architecture installs?

      I personally don't think this is the right way to go, but I suggest
      posting your observations and ideas, which still might be very helpful,
      to the debian-arm mailing list:

      <mailto:debian-arm-request@...?subject=subscribe>

      jm2c.
      --
      Kevin
      http://www.kevin-price.de/
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
        * John Reiser <vendor@...> [2008-07-03 08:19]:
        > Observation and experience with other systems suggests that debian-installer
        > is poorly suited to the task of installing to system with low RAM and
        > removable media. Instead, the system should be cross-installed to the
        > removable media on a resource-rich system such as a x86 desktop PC. Then
        > the media should be attached to the NSLU2, and the boot-up flash image
        > should locate the proper filesystem (using dialogs), then re-flash the
        > internal storage.

        This doesn't do exactly what you want, but you could simply unpack a
        Debian bar tall manually:
        http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html

        > How can we encourage debian-installer to achieve cross-architecture installs?

        You can raise this issue on the debian-boot mailing list, but without
        actually putting in some effort yourself I doubt this is going to
        happen. An alternative would be to see whether the SLIND installer
        (where the installer itself runs on the host system) could be adapted
        to install Debian.
        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
          The cause of all that disk flashing and time wasted is selinux applying policies to all the files in the filesystem.
          BTW, no-one on nslu2-linux lists can help change the debian installer - please report this to the debian-arm or debian-boot (I think) mailing list.
          -- Rod