image with packages included *before* burning?

  • Graham
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2008
      Sorry - new user questions.

      1)
      I have built an OpenWRT image for my Slug - it works - and I have
      installed various ipackages later.

      I believe that you can install the extra packages into the .bin image
      file *before* loading it into the slug and so make a custom image for
      your own needs.
      But I do not see anywhere in "make menuconfig" where I can add
      packages like "Samba" "i2c tools" etc.

      Could someone please say how to do this (an example would be helpful)
      - or say where I can find a simple explanation?

      2)
      Even if all the packages can be loaded in a single install file I
      still need to add my own configs etc. So when it comes to loading a
      new slug you have to do it all over again. Is there any way to take
      the contents of a working Slug and create a single .bin install file
      that can be used as a full backup and then used to load a virgin Slug
      with all my customised tweaks?
      Or perhaps I should boot from an external drive and keep a copy of
      that plus a minimal .bin file for the Slug internal Flash?