Don't understand Unslung Syslog-ng setup

  • indusmunz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2008
      I am trying to set up Syslog-ng under Unslung according to
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Syslog-ng.

      There are things I donot understand and I am unsure if my Syslog-ng
      works properly. There don't seem to be any Kernel messages.

      There is a sample config file given, with this this "source" line:

      source src { file("/proc/kmsg" log_prefix("kernel: "));
      unix-dgram("/var/tmp/log");
      internal();
      file("/var/log/watchnet.log" follow_freq(1)); };

      The two files "/var/tmp/log" and "/var/log/watchnet.log" did not
      exist after I installed Syslog-ng. I assume

      ln -sf /var/tmp/log /dev/log

      created "/var/tmp/log" the way it should be, but I'm not sure. And I
      don't know how to set up "/var/log/watchnet.log".

      The sample config file somehow seems to mix up "new" Syslog-ng
      and "old" Syslogd messages. This is sure well meant, but confusing.
      Maybe "/var/log/watchnet.log" is not needed at all if I don't want
      any "old" logs?

      Any help? Thanks

      Paul