Re: NSLU2 Help - no IP address

  • teemu.nikkila
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2008
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Scaria" <joelscaria@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      >
      > I used the installation guide for the NSLU2 at
      > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html to install Debian on my
      > NSLU2.

      Sorry, can't help you here, but my suggestion is that you follow the
      instructions here:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/UsingTheBinary says:

      If you flash a machine which has not been used before the network
      setup will be as follows:

      1. The network will be configured via DHCP if a DHCP server is present
      2. otherwise it will have a static IP address which will be
      192.168.1.77

      If you have a DHCP server running, for instance a router, you can
      determine the assigned IP address from its DHCP clients table.

      If you can not figure out the IP address, maybe putting it in Upgrade
      Mode and using Sercomm's Win32 Update Utility or UpSlug2 for Linux can
      help. If you can find it in Upgrade Mode but not otherwise, try to
      re-flash.

      -Teemu
    • jscaria1
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 15, 2008
        Hello all,

        I used the installation guide for the NSLU2 at
        http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html to install Debian on
        my NSLU2. I tried installing the Debian/NSLU2 Stable 4.0r3 from
        http://www.slug-firmware.net/d-dls.php on my NSLU2 using the web
        interface provided by Linksys. However, after several minutes the
        Ready/Status LED remains an amber color while the ethernet LED remains
        a solid (and sometimes blinking) green. On my router's list of
        attached devices, I do not see my NSLU2. I was wondering whether if
        any of you have any idea of what could be going wrong. I know at some
        point I should be able to SSH in using Putty and run the normal
        installation, but I don't have an IP address to SSH into.

        I have emailed Martin (of cyrius.com) and he could not figure out what
        was wrong and recommended me to email this listserv.
        Here are some of the questions he asked me:

        Q: What kind of network setting did you have with your original NSLU2
        firmware? My guess is that the network configuration was not complete
        and hence Debian installer fails to bring up the network. Can you
        unplug the network cable when you boot, then when the NSLU2 beeps
        connect the cable again and connect to 192.168.1.77?

        A: When I unplug the network cable and turn on the NSLU2, I don't hear
        a beep. (I just get the amber light.)

        Q: And which firmware did you flash? The 4.0r3 one from
        slug-firmware.net?
        A: Yes

        Q: How did you flash the installer? You didn't use EraseAll, right?
        A: I used the Linksys web utility (where you can upload a new copy of
        the firmware). I didn't use EraseAll.

        One suggestion he had is that sometimes the RTC clock gets stuck and
        removing the RTC battery could help.

        If you have any insight or have encountered something similar, please
        let me know what you did to fix it. I appreciate any ideas you may have.

        Thank you,
        Joel
      • Klaus Ruebsam
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 15, 2008
          Try reflashing the original firmware as of Linksys. Then restore the slug to
          it´s factory default network!!! settings (using the LinkSys firmware). Now
          get the slug again into update-mode and then try again flashing the
          debian-installer image.

          That did the job already twice for me (as I normally do not use the default
          IP-addresses).

          Bare in mind to NEVER EVER use the EraseAll tool as it will permanently
          break the slug!!!

          Good luck!
        • Joel Scaria

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 25, 2008
              Joel Scaria wrote:
              > How would I go about reflashing the original firmware? The Linksys web
              > interface is unavailable because well...I can't access it via my network
              > since it's not getting an IP address.

              Follow the instructions on the wiki to enter upgrade mode using the
              reset-button method.

              No firmware other than the original Linksys firmware has a web-based
              upgrade mechanism, so you need to use the reset-button technique in all
              standard cases anyway.

              > On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Klaus Ruebsam <k.ruebsam@...
              > <mailto:k.ruebsam@...>> wrote:
              >
              > Try reflashing the original firmware as of Linksys. Then restore the
              > slug to
              > it´s factory default network!!! settings (using the LinkSys
              > firmware). Now
              > get the slug again into update-mode and then try again flashing the
              > debian-installer image.
              >
              > That did the job already twice for me (as I normally do not use the
              > default
              > IP-addresses).
              >
              > Bare in mind to NEVER EVER use the EraseAll tool as it will permanently
              > break the slug!!!
              >
              > Good luck!

              Mike (mwester)