Suggestion about a new "Debianized" NAS

  • pizzulicchio1981
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
      Hi to all
      and, before start writing, thank you to all members of this community
      for the support and the supply.

      I'm considering to buy a new NAS with a strong hardware. An home NAS
      not a professional high-end NAS...

      I'm using a linksys NSLU 2 at the moment, and i'm very proud of it! :-
      )
      but the rosources of this item are limited..
      Can you suggest to my some products?
      My point of reference is the Thecus 2100 that has upgradable ram and
      a 600 mhz proc, even if the omap architecture is an old typology..
      I'm considering the new qnap TS 109 that is a good NAS ( SoC 500MHz
      128 mb ram )or qnap Ts 109 V2 ( Marvell 5182 500MHz and 256 mb ram )
      but i think that the last one isn't an hardware compatible with
      debian OS )

      any suggest is regarded

      Samuele Bianchi,
      Florence.
      Italy
    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
        * pizzulicchio1981 <pizzulicchio@...> [2008-06-10 08:37]:
        > My point of reference is the Thecus 2100 that has upgradable ram and
        > a 600 mhz proc, even if the omap architecture is an old typology..

        The Thecus N2100 uses the Intel IOP32x chip, not an OMAP chip.

        > I'm considering the new qnap TS 109 that is a good NAS ( SoC 500MHz
        > 128 mb ram )or qnap Ts 109 V2 ( Marvell 5182 500MHz and 256 mb ram
        > ) but i think that the last one isn't an hardware compatible with
        > debian OS )

        You're lucky. I'm currently porting Debian to the QNAP TS-109, TS-209
        and TS-409. There should be a test release within a few weeks.
        See http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/orion/qnap to follow my
        progress.
        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

          > * pizzulicchio1981 <pizzulicchio@...> [2008-06-10 08:37]:
          > > My point of reference is the Thecus 2100 that has upgradable ram
          and
          > > a 600 mhz proc, even if the omap architecture is an old typology..
          >
          > The Thecus N2100 uses the Intel IOP32x chip, not an OMAP chip.
          >
          > > I'm considering the new qnap TS 109 that is a good NAS ( SoC
          500MHz
          > > 128 mb ram )or qnap Ts 109 V2 ( Marvell 5182 500MHz and 256 mb
          ram
          > > ) but i think that the last one isn't an hardware compatible with
          > > debian OS )
          >
          > You're lucky. I'm currently porting Debian to the QNAP TS-109, TS-
          209
          > and TS-409. There should be a test release within a few weeks.
          > See http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/orion/qnap to follow my
          > progress.
          > --
          > Martin Michlmayr
          > http://www.cyrius.com/

          Hi Martyn,
          your installer is compatible with TS-109 V2 or only with ts-109 ?
          What do you suggest between Thecus 2100 and Qnap Ts 109 ( V2 or not )?
        • Martin Michlmayr
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
            * pizzulicchio1981 <pizzulicchio@...> [2008-06-10 10:03]:
            > your installer is compatible with TS-109 V2 or only with ts-109 ?

            It should work on both. I only have a normal TS-209, but I know
            someone with a TS-109 II who can test the installer... but I don't
            expect any problems.

            > What do you suggest between Thecus 2100 and Qnap Ts 109 ( V2 or not )?

            The TS-109 doesn't have a fan, which is nice, especially since the
            Thecus N2100 is quite noisy. On the other hand, the Thecus N2100 has
            a mini-PCI slot and expandable memory (up to 512 MB). The QNAP
            devices will have better kernel support in the long run since Marvell
            is actively working on Orion support.

            --
            Martin Michlmayr
            http://www.cyrius.com/
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

              > * pizzulicchio1981 <pizzulicchio@...> [2008-06-10 10:03]:
              > > your installer is compatible with TS-109 V2 or only with ts-109 ?
              >
              > It should work on both. I only have a normal TS-209, but I know
              > someone with a TS-109 II who can test the installer... but I don't
              > expect any problems.
              >
              > > What do you suggest between Thecus 2100 and Qnap Ts 109 ( V2 or
              not )?

              > The TS-109 doesn't have a fan, which is nice, especially since the
              > Thecus N2100 is quite noisy. On the other hand, the Thecus N2100
              has
              > a mini-PCI slot and expandable memory (up to 512 MB). The QNAP
              > devices will have better kernel support in the long run since
              Marvell
              > is actively working on Orion support.
              >
              > --
              > Martin Michlmayr
              > http://www.cyrius.com/

              Except for ram, the TS-109 and TS-109 V2 have the same hardware?
              For the vendor the CPU description isn't the same.

              TS-109
              http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=78
              TS-109 V2
              http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=91

              I'm very interesting to TS-109 V2 ( fanless and price is better than
              2100 for me ... 256 mb ram is good and minipci for me isn't useful )
            • Martin Michlmayr
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
                * pizzulicchio1981 <pizzulicchio@...> [2008-06-10 11:04]:
                > Except for ram, the TS-109 and TS-109 V2 have the same hardware?
                > For the vendor the CPU description isn't the same.

                I'm not sure, but I would expect it's the same.

                --
                Martin Michlmayr
                http://www.cyrius.com/
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                  > * pizzulicchio1981 <pizzulicchio@...> [2008-06-10 11:04]:
                  > > Except for ram, the TS-109 and TS-109 V2 have the same hardware?
                  > > For the vendor the CPU description isn't the same.
                  >
                  > I'm not sure, but I would expect it's the same.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Martin Michlmayr
                  > http://www.cyrius.com/

                  Ok, Martyn
                  let me know as soon as possible so i can buy my TS-109 V2 and use
                  debian easily
                • Martin Michlmayr
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
                    * pizzulicchio1981 <pizzulicchio@...> [2008-06-10 12:40]:
                    > let me know as soon as possible so i can buy my TS-109 V2 and use
                    > debian easily

                    I just got a reply from my contact at QNAP who said that from a
                    software perspective the only difference between the TS-109 and TS-109
                    II is the amount of RAM. They have the same CPU.

                    --
                    Martin Michlmayr
                    http://www.cyrius.com/
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:

                      > * pizzulicchio1981 <pizzulicchio@...> [2008-06-10 11:04]:
                      > > Except for ram, the TS-109 and TS-109 V2 have the same hardware?
                      > > For the vendor the CPU description isn't the same.
                      >
                      > I'm not sure, but I would expect it's the same.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Martin Michlmayr
                      > http://www.cyrius.com/

                      In the comparison chart page the ts-109 and ts-109 v2 have the same
                      hardware as you have affirmed.

                      http://www.qnap.com/images/products/comparison/Comparison_TS109II.html

                      thankyou for all
                      :-)
                    • mr_markas
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 10, 2008
                        First, I like my 3 slugs. They're great to tinkering with and can run
                        off of a battery. They aren't the fastest - they're embedded. But they
                        are great for mobile (auto/boat) or silent purposes.

                        Here's another consideration for a Home NAS - build a low power one on
                        the cheap. There's pro & cons to this approach - time, hardware,
                        processor (arm, mips, x86) distro, noise, etc. Thing is, the more
                        powerful the Home NAS, the more likely they'll have fans & will
                        probably use a x86/Via/Geode processor. You could even buy a used PC
                        tower for $100 US - but drinks electrons galore.

                        Or I could assemble one better for $100 US.

                        I've been looking at freeing up & re-purposing one of my endearing
                        slugs with a new Intel board base on their Atom chip. Mini-box.com has
                        them for $80 US which is the one their cheapest and most powerful
                        boards for sale.

                        http://www.mini-box.com/Intel-D945GCLF-Mini-ITX-Motherboard
                        http://resources.mini-box.com/online/MBD-I-D945GCLF/MBD-I-D945GCLF-specs.pdf
                        http://resources.mini-box.com/online/MBD-I-D945GCLF/MBD-I-D945GCLF-manual.pdf

                        * They are small(er) dimensions than a Linksys NAS200 = 6.75"^2
                        * (relatively) low power & can use the mini-box embedded DC-DC adapter
                        * x86 based with all the standard ports
                        * fast 1.6Ghz (soft over-clockable to 1.9Ghz, also under-clockable)
                        * 1 DIMM, 1 IDE, 2 3.0Gb SATA, 4 USB, Video, LAN, Sound, 1 PCI, etc
                        * The only fan is a support chip
                        * etc, etc.

                        A couple of downsides, it requires a case with 10-11 cm height and
                        will use more wattage than a Slug (between a 25 - 40 watt light bulb).

                        Aside from that, I figure I can have an awesome home NAS for less than
                        $100+ that's more expandable, powerful & flexible than most commercial
                        Home NAS. I can then stream media without hiccups.

                        * the board ($80),
                        * a CF-IDE adapter ($10)
                        * a power supply ($0 - $50)
                        * a CF card $0 (yet another part lying around) or $10
                        * a Case ? who needs a real case - case-mod something for free. Get
                        out that Dremel router.

                        If I really want to go all out, I can throw my RocketRaid card in the
                        PCI slot and put it in a real case lying around. Again $0 for me cause
                        I have the parts. But that's not it's purpose or point of the device.

                        Thing is, if you go with my minimal specs above, you can have a really
                        lean NAS for the same price or cheaper than a commercial one.

                        Last, you'll have to do is argue with your friends on the best disto
                        for it. Smells like Debian :-) As for software packages, use the
                        OpenSlug & OpenWRT packages & Howtos to guide you one what to install
                        to avoid bloat. Don't forget about the Debian netboot install CD to
                        avoid lots of cruft.

                        Good luck, Mark S.

                        PS. These could also be used as a home hobbyist's "blades" for
                        distributed compiler farm for the Slug project. ;-)