Re: how much space do I need for unslug+ fuppes?

  • janne5011
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
      Tomek if you use nfs it works playing HD movies,smb not.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tomasz" <tomekf@...> wrote:

      > A little bit of topics.
      > Debian can run without any hard drive. I installed Debian on 1GB
      > flash with 256 MB SWAP and 750 MB root partition. Debian with CUPS,
      > SAMBA, ftp and web server with PHP and few another aplication takes
      > 540MB.
      > Anyway I doubt the throughput from slug (in my case ca. 3.5MB/s) is
      > enought to play HD movies, but I can be wrong....
      >
      > Tomek F.
      >
      > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
      > <pfmonet@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Christian,
      > >
      > > I'd something similar with Unslung to run Fuppes except I'd a
      hard
      > disk instead of a flash stick .
      > > My 80GB disk was almost empty (less than 512MB) but when I
      created
      > the fuppes database it went bigger because I've approx 2000 videos
      > on a NAS on the GigE network.
      > >
      > > The purpose of this setup was to stream video's on my network
      from
      > two HD Divx players, one H&B DNX8620 and one KISS Tecnologies DP600.
      > >
      > > Now I decided to try to do the same with OpenWRT instead of
      > Unslung because OpenWRT looks like more a true Linux. I 'm not fan
      > to switch to Debian because I want to run without any hard disk
      > drive, and I believe Debian cannot.
      > >

      > > I hope this help.
      > >
      > > pf

    • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
        I don't understand, using Unslung + Fuppes + Smb with a NAS mounted I can play HD video over the network from the HD player.
        It works!

        pf

        Tomek if you use nfs it works playing HD movies,smb not.

        --- In nslu2-linux@ yahoogroups. com, "Tomasz" <tomekf@...> wrote:

        > A little bit of topics.
        > Debian can run without any hard drive. I installed Debian on 1GB
        > flash with 256 MB SWAP and 750 MB root partition. Debian with CUPS,
        > SAMBA, ftp and web server with PHP and few another aplication takes
        > 540MB.
        > Anyway I doubt the throughput from slug (in my case ca. 3.5MB/s) is
        > enought to play HD movies, but I can be wrong....
        >
        > Tomek F.
        >
        > --- In nslu2-linux@ yahoogroups. com, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
        > <pfmonet@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Christian,
        > >
        > > I'd something similar with Unslung to run Fuppes except I'd a
        hard
        > disk instead of a flash stick .
        > > My 80GB disk was almost empty (less than 512MB) but when I
        created
        > the fuppes database it went bigger because I've approx 2000 videos
        > on a NAS on the GigE network.
        > >
        > > The purpose of this setup was to stream video's on my network
        from
        > two HD Divx players, one H&B DNX8620 and one KISS Tecnologies DP600.
        > >
        > > Now I decided to try to do the same with OpenWRT instead of
        > Unslung because OpenWRT looks like more a true Linux. I 'm not fan
        > to switch to Debian because I want to run without any hard disk
        > drive, and I believe Debian cannot.
        > >

        > > I hope this help.
        > >
        > > pf

      • Christian Loza
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 7, 2008
          Thank you everybody for your questions.

          From what they wrote, I think it fits on my flash, but I have a lot of music in my hdd, so is possible I would need more space to save this playlist. Just to clarify, if anybody has the experience, can I store my fuppes playlist in the regular hd? so, unslug + fuppes will go in the flash, and the songs and playlist in the hd ?

          Thank you again for your time replying.

          Best regards,

          Chris

          On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm) <pfmonet@...> wrote:

          I don't understand, using Unslung + Fuppes + Smb with a NAS mounted I can play HD video over the network from the HD player.
          It works!

          pf

          Tomek if you use nfs it works playing HD movies,smb not.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tomasz" <tomekf@...> wrote:

          > A little bit of topics.
          > Debian can run without any hard drive. I installed Debian on 1GB
          > flash with 256 MB SWAP and 750 MB root partition. Debian with CUPS,
          > SAMBA, ftp and web server with PHP and few another aplication takes
          > 540MB.
          > Anyway I doubt the throughput from slug (in my case ca. 3.5MB/s) is
          > enought to play HD movies, but I can be wrong....
          >
          > Tomek F.
          >
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
          > <pfmonet@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Christian,
          > >
          > > I'd something similar with Unslung to run Fuppes except I'd a
          hard
          > disk instead of a flash stick .
          > > My 80GB disk was almost empty (less than 512MB) but when I
          created
          > the fuppes database it went bigger because I've approx 2000 videos
          > on a NAS on the GigE network.
          > >
          > > The purpose of this setup was to stream video's on my network
          from
          > two HD Divx players, one H&B DNX8620 and one KISS Tecnologies DP600.
          > >
          > > Now I decided to try to do the same with OpenWRT instead of
          > Unslung because OpenWRT looks like more a true Linux. I 'm not fan
          > to switch to Debian because I want to run without any hard disk
          > drive, and I believe Debian cannot.
          > >

          > > I hope this help.
          > >
          > > pf

        • Tomasz
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8, 2008
            I do it exactly so with my NSLUG. System is on Flash, data for
            servers and Samba shares are on HDD. To spin-down the disk after 3
            min unactivity I use sg_start from sg_utils package.

            Tomek F.
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Christian Loza"
            <christian.loza@...> wrote:

            > Thank you everybody for your questions.
            >
            > From what they wrote, I think it fits on my flash, but I have a
            lot of music
            > in my hdd, so is possible I would need more space to save this
            playlist.
            > Just to clarify, if anybody has the experience, can I store my
            fuppes
            > playlist in the regular hd? so, unslug + fuppes will go in the
            flash, and
            > the songs and playlist in the hd ?
            >
            > Thank you again for your time replying.
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Chris
            >
            > On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm) <
            > pfmonet@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I don't understand, using Unslung + Fuppes + Smb with a NAS
            mounted
            > > I can play HD video over the network from the HD player.
            > > It works!
            > >
            > > pf

          • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8, 2008
              Hi Chris,

              For my particular case the video are stored on an external NAS mounted into the filesystem with smb (Samba) and the database created by fuppes on the local Slug USB disc .

              pf

              __________ Information NOD32 3165 (20080606) __________

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2008
                Thank you very much everybody!