Re: how much space do I need for unslug+ fuppes?

  • janne5011
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
      Hi I got a 1 Gb usb stick with some applications on it:
      HD USB port2: Ready, 717MB (57% Free)
      so a 512 usb stick will do.

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
      <pfmonet@...> wrote:

      > Hi Christian,
      >
      > I'd something similar with Unslung to run Fuppes except I'd a hard
      disk instead of a flash stick .
      > My 80GB disk was almost empty (less than 512MB) but when I created
      the fuppes database it went bigger because I've approx 2000 videos on
      a NAS on the GigE network.

      > The purpose of this setup was to stream video's on my network from
      two HD Divx players, one H&B DNX8620 and one KISS Tecnologies DP600.

      > Now I decided to try to do the same with OpenWRT instead of Unslung
      because OpenWRT looks like more a true Linux. I 'm not fan to switch
      to Debian because I want to run without any hard disk drive, and I
      believe Debian cannot.

      > I hope this help.
      >
      > pf

      flash it soon. I was wondering, how much space do I need
      > for a unslug installation + fuppes. I want my slug to stream
      music and share photos to a remote xbox 360, but that is
      > basically everything I want to do with it. The reason why I'm
      asking is because I have several 512 Mb flash memories, but
      > I'd have to buy a 2Gb flash stick if the requirements are greater
      than that. I hope somebody have a similar setup.

      > Thx in advance,
      >
      > Chris.
      >
      > --
      > Christian E Loza
      >

      > __________ Information NOD32 3162 (20080605) __________
      >
      > Ce message a ete verifie par NOD32 Antivirus System.
      > http://www.nod32.com

    • Tomasz
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
        A little bit of topics.
        Debian can run without any hard drive. I installed Debian on 1GB
        flash with 256 MB SWAP and 750 MB root partition. Debian with CUPS,
        SAMBA, ftp and web server with PHP and few another aplication takes
        540MB.
        Anyway I doubt the throughput from slug (in my case ca. 3.5MB/s) is
        enought to play HD movies, but I can be wrong....

        Tomek F.

        <pfmonet@...> wrote:

        > Hi Christian,
        >
        > I'd something similar with Unslung to run Fuppes except I'd a hard
        disk instead of a flash stick .
        > My 80GB disk was almost empty (less than 512MB) but when I created
        the fuppes database it went bigger because I've approx 2000 videos
        on a NAS on the GigE network.

        > The purpose of this setup was to stream video's on my network from
        two HD Divx players, one H&B DNX8620 and one KISS Tecnologies DP600.

        > Now I decided to try to do the same with OpenWRT instead of
        Unslung because OpenWRT looks like more a true Linux. I 'm not fan
        to switch to Debian because I want to run without any hard disk
        drive, and I believe Debian cannot.

        > I hope this help.
        >
        > pf

      • janne5011
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
          Tomek if you use nfs it works playing HD movies,smb not.

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Tomasz" <tomekf@...> wrote:

          > A little bit of topics.
          > Debian can run without any hard drive. I installed Debian on 1GB
          > flash with 256 MB SWAP and 750 MB root partition. Debian with CUPS,
          > SAMBA, ftp and web server with PHP and few another aplication takes
          > 540MB.
          > Anyway I doubt the throughput from slug (in my case ca. 3.5MB/s) is
          > enought to play HD movies, but I can be wrong....
          >
          > Tomek F.
          >
          > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
          > <pfmonet@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Christian,
          > >
          > > I'd something similar with Unslung to run Fuppes except I'd a
          hard
          > disk instead of a flash stick .
          > > My 80GB disk was almost empty (less than 512MB) but when I
          created
          > the fuppes database it went bigger because I've approx 2000 videos
          > on a NAS on the GigE network.
          > >
          > > The purpose of this setup was to stream video's on my network
          from
          > two HD Divx players, one H&B DNX8620 and one KISS Tecnologies DP600.
          > >
          > > Now I decided to try to do the same with OpenWRT instead of
          > Unslung because OpenWRT looks like more a true Linux. I 'm not fan
          > to switch to Debian because I want to run without any hard disk
          > drive, and I believe Debian cannot.
          > >

          > > I hope this help.
          > >
          > > pf

        • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2008
            I don't understand, using Unslung + Fuppes + Smb with a NAS mounted I can play HD video over the network from the HD player.
            It works!

            pf

            Tomek if you use nfs it works playing HD movies,smb not.

            --- In nslu2-linux@ yahoogroups. com, "Tomasz" <tomekf@...> wrote:

            > A little bit of topics.
            > Debian can run without any hard drive. I installed Debian on 1GB
            > flash with 256 MB SWAP and 750 MB root partition. Debian with CUPS,
            > SAMBA, ftp and web server with PHP and few another aplication takes
            > 540MB.
            > Anyway I doubt the throughput from slug (in my case ca. 3.5MB/s) is
            > enought to play HD movies, but I can be wrong....
            >
            > Tomek F.
            >
            > --- In nslu2-linux@ yahoogroups. com, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
            > <pfmonet@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Christian,
            > >
            > > I'd something similar with Unslung to run Fuppes except I'd a
            hard
            > disk instead of a flash stick .
            > > My 80GB disk was almost empty (less than 512MB) but when I
            created
            > the fuppes database it went bigger because I've approx 2000 videos
            > on a NAS on the GigE network.
            > >
            > > The purpose of this setup was to stream video's on my network
            from
            > two HD Divx players, one H&B DNX8620 and one KISS Tecnologies DP600.
            > >
            > > Now I decided to try to do the same with OpenWRT instead of
            > Unslung because OpenWRT looks like more a true Linux. I 'm not fan
            > to switch to Debian because I want to run without any hard disk
            > drive, and I believe Debian cannot.
            > >

            > > I hope this help.
            > >
            > > pf

          • Christian Loza
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 7, 2008
              Thank you everybody for your questions.

              From what they wrote, I think it fits on my flash, but I have a lot of music in my hdd, so is possible I would need more space to save this playlist. Just to clarify, if anybody has the experience, can I store my fuppes playlist in the regular hd? so, unslug + fuppes will go in the flash, and the songs and playlist in the hd ?

              Thank you again for your time replying.

              Best regards,

              Chris

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2008
                I do it exactly so with my NSLUG. System is on Flash, data for
                servers and Samba shares are on HDD. To spin-down the disk after 3
                min unactivity I use sg_start from sg_utils package.

                Tomek F.
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Christian Loza"
                <christian.loza@...> wrote:

                > Thank you everybody for your questions.
                >
                > From what they wrote, I think it fits on my flash, but I have a
                lot of music
                > in my hdd, so is possible I would need more space to save this
                playlist.
                > Just to clarify, if anybody has the experience, can I store my
                fuppes
                > playlist in the regular hd? so, unslug + fuppes will go in the
                flash, and
                > the songs and playlist in the hd ?
                >
                > Thank you again for your time replying.
                >
                > Best regards,
                >
                > Chris
                >
                > On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:16 AM, Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm) <
                > pfmonet@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I don't understand, using Unslung + Fuppes + Smb with a NAS
                mounted
                > > I can play HD video over the network from the HD player.
                > > It works!
                > >
                > > pf

              • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2008
                  Hi Chris,

                  For my particular case the video are stored on an external NAS mounted into the filesystem with smb (Samba) and the database created by fuppes on the local Slug USB disc .

                  pf

                  __________ Information NOD32 3165 (20080606) __________

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 8, 2008
                    Thank you very much everybody!