debugging ideas? login problems...

  • Rudy Moore
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hey,

      I'm just looking for debugging ideas for a problem I'm having logging into my
      nslu2. I've got two drives - a 1 GB usb flash drive that is unslung to on port
      two (top most USB port), and a 750GB HD that actually is the file server. I'm
      running a second thttpd (renamed to my_thttpd) on another port. Other than
      that, it's mostly stock.

      I can use the samba shares and the extra thttpd without any problems. And I've
      been using putty to ssh in over the last few days to work on the web page that
      it serves. But a few days ago, I noticed I couldn't ssh in. I tried to telnet
      in, and the connection would accept my password, then immediately close. I
      powered down, rebooted with only the flash drive in port 2 and could telnet in
      (after enabling it, of course). I looked around and everything seemed normal.
      I noticed I hadn't put .ext3flash in /, so I added that, then rebooted with
      both drives.

      The system came up and worked fine for a couple days. But this morning, I
      noticed I can't ssh in any more.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Rudy
    • Rudy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2008
        I realized I forgot a detail: Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta

        copied from the telnet motd screen. after telneting in, the machine
        prints the motd, then just hangs like it can't start the shell...
      • Ragnar Edholm
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
          Sounds like one of your disk has a corrupted file
          system. I had similar symptoms.

          How to check and fix
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/RepairingDiskErrors
        • Rudy Moore
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
            Possible solution: swap space.

            I was unable to login to my slug after a short while of running, despite other
            programs being functional.

            At a guess, I figured that turning off the swap space might have been
            responsible. If no new applications could be made, then the login would work,
            but a shell could never be spawned.

            So I created a swap file on my harddrive (the one I would like to mostly stay
            spun down). So far, a few days have passed and I haven't had any problems. So
            I think this might have fixed it.

            One question: what's the best way to tell how much memory is free on the slug
            (and how much swap space it's using)? I worry that using top is too large...

            Thanks!
            Rudy
          • John
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2008
              On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 06:06:45AM -0700, Rudy Moore wrote:
              > One question: what's the best way to tell how much memory is free on the slug
              > (and how much swap space it's using)?

              At the command line, type 'free'