Re: Can't cpan> install Bundle::CPAN

  • indusmunz
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2008
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
      wrote:
      > (...)

      Hello Robert,
      I did as I was told and it helped. I'm proud to even have managed
      some more broken links myself. This took us a little further. The
      cpan prompt now comes up without any warnung about missing stuff. And
      about one third of Bundle::CPAN seems to have installed fine.

      But I once more need your help. There are lots of such errors:

      --------------
      # Failed test (t/03zlib-v1.t at line 36)
      # Tried to use 'IO::Compress::Gzip::Constants'.
      # Error: Can't locate IO/Compress/Gzip/Constants.pm in @INC
      (@INC contains: t t/compress /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
      2.011/blib/lib /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
      2.011/blib/arch /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/armv5b-
      linux /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/armv5b-
      linux /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at
      (eval 11) line 2.
      # BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/03zlib-v1.t line 36.
      ---------------

      I know @INC is sort of Perl's internal PATH variable, but I coudn't
      figure how to expand it. Also I wonder how to handle such many
      Modules that Perl can't find. Literally hundreds, and they are in
      many different places like "IO/Compross/Raw/", "IO/Compross/Base/"
      etc. What do you think?

      Thanks, Paul
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2008
        In message <g1scsu+6m3b@...>, indusmunz <pbatt@...> writes
        >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
        >wrote:
        >> (...)
        >
        >Hello Robert,
        >I did as I was told and it helped. I'm proud to even have managed
        >some more broken links myself. This took us a little further. The
        >cpan prompt now comes up without any warnung about missing stuff. And
        >about one third of Bundle::CPAN seems to have installed fine.
        >
        >But I once more need your help. There are lots of such errors:
        >
        >--------------
        ># Failed test (t/03zlib-v1.t at line 36)
        ># Tried to use 'IO::Compress::Gzip::Constants'.
        ># Error: Can't locate IO/Compress/Gzip/Constants.pm in @INC
        >(@INC contains: t t/compress /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
        >2.011/blib/lib /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
        >2.011/blib/arch /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/armv5b-
        >linux /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/armv5b-
        >linux /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at
        >(eval 11) line 2.
        ># BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/03zlib-v1.t line 36.
        >---------------
        >
        >I know @INC is sort of Perl's internal PATH variable, but I coudn't
        >figure how to expand it. Also I wonder how to handle such many
        >Modules that Perl can't find. Literally hundreds, and they are in
        >many different places like "IO/Compross/Raw/", "IO/Compross/Base/"
        >etc. What do you think?

        Not too sure what this is. You could try installing a couple of the pre
        built perl modules from the Optware feeds, there is a good chance that
        installing these will fix your problem.

        ipkg install perl-compress-zlib
        ipkg install perl-io-zlib

        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2008
          In message <tRG0$TC2VERIFw2P@...>, Robert Hammond
          <rob.hammond@...> writes
          >In message <g1scsu+6m3b@...>, indusmunz <pbatt@...> writes
          >>--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
          >>wrote:
          >>> (...)
          >>
          >>Hello Robert,
          >>I did as I was told and it helped. I'm proud to even have managed
          >>some more broken links myself. This took us a little further. The
          >>cpan prompt now comes up without any warnung about missing stuff. And
          >>about one third of Bundle::CPAN seems to have installed fine.
          >>
          >>But I once more need your help. There are lots of such errors:
          >>
          >>--------------
          >># Failed test (t/03zlib-v1.t at line 36)
          >># Tried to use 'IO::Compress::Gzip::Constants'.
          >># Error: Can't locate IO/Compress/Gzip/Constants.pm in @INC
          >>(@INC contains: t t/compress /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
          >>2.011/blib/lib /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
          >>2.011/blib/arch /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/armv5b-
          >>linux /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/armv5b-
          >>linux /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at
          >>(eval 11) line 2.
          >># BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/03zlib-v1.t line 36.
          >>---------------
          >>
          >>I know @INC is sort of Perl's internal PATH variable, but I coudn't
          >>figure how to expand it. Also I wonder how to handle such many
          >>Modules that Perl can't find. Literally hundreds, and they are in
          >>many different places like "IO/Compross/Raw/", "IO/Compross/Base/"
          >>etc. What do you think?
          >>
          >Not too sure what this is. You could try installing a couple of the pre
          >built perl modules from the Optware feeds, there is a good chance that
          >installing these will fix your problem.
          >
          >ipkg install perl-compress-zlib
          >ipkg install perl-io-zlib

          Second thoughts here, I think that installing these modules will not
          fix this.
          I do have this module compiled - version 2.011, unsure if I had any
          problems with it.

          There are three prerequisite modules that need to be installed first so
          suggest using the install option in a CPAN console shell for each and
          monitor any errors.
          Compress::Raw::Zlib
          IO::Compress::Base
          IO::Uncompress::Base

          Then IO::Compress::Gzip::Constants is part of module
          IO-Compress-Zlib

          If you desperately need this module then perhaps one of the package
          developers may built it for the Optware feed using the cross compile
          method.

          --
          Robert Hammond
          PGP:0x154144DA
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
            wrote:

            > Second thoughts here, I think that installing these modules will
            not
            > fix this.
            > I do have this module compiled - version 2.011, unsure if I had
            any
            > problems with it.
            >
            > There are three prerequisite modules that need to be installed
            first so
            > suggest using the install option in a CPAN console shell for each
            and
            > monitor any errors.
            > Compress::Raw::Zlib
            > IO::Compress::Base
            > IO::Uncompress::Base
            >
            > Then IO::Compress::Gzip::Constants is part of module
            > IO-Compress-Zlib
            >
            > If you desperately need this module then perhaps one of the package
            > developers may built it for the Optware feed using the cross
            compile
            > method.

            I should express myself more clearly. I actually have all those
            modules. When I do a find file command they all come up. The problem
            is, they are not listed in @INC. I checked the putty log file a
            little bit more thoroughly and found that the problem reduces to
            these:

            Compress/Raw/Zlib.pm
            Compress/Zlib.pm
            IO/Compress/Base.pm
            IO/Compress/Base/Common.pm
            IO/Compress/Gzip.pm
            IO/Compress/Gzip/Constants.pm
            IO/Uncompress/AnyUncompress.pm
            IO/Uncompress/Base.pm
            IO/Uncompress/Gunzip.pm

            All the .pm files are actually somewhere in the .cpan directory in
            different directories. Only not where @INC has them listed.

            Can I not simply add them to @INC somehow? Or symlink them so that
            Perl can find them?

            Thanks, Paul
          • indusmunz
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
              Finally it's done!

              Please disregard my last two messages about fixing an issue with
              @INC. That was not the problem.

              I was not able to install Perl 5 complete with CPAN under Unslung
              unless I had done all these:

              # ipkg update
              # ipkg install unslung-feeds
              # ipkg install perl
              # ipkg install gzip
              # ipkg install tar
              # ipkg install unslung-devel
              # ipkg install which
              # ipkg install expat
              # ipkg install zlib
              # ipkg install wget
              # ipkg install libgcc

              There were some packages like gzip that needed to be installed even
              though they appeared to be there already. Also I had to install some
              packages twice, don't aks me why, before they would function
              properly. I checked this by

              # ipkg list_installed <something>

              until there were no more error messages. After that I was able to

              cpan> install Bundle::CPAN

              which took several hours but works fine now. Unfortunately I can't
              tell, to which degree the things I've done before installing and re-
              installing all the necessary packages, added to this outcome (like
              symlinking some targets, etc). I have the impression, that I should
              have installed everything in the first place.

              Thanks a lot to Robert Hammond who's comments were enormously helpful!

              Paul