Can't cpan> install Bundle::CPAN

  • indusmunz
    Message 1 of 15 , May 22, 2008
      I've installed perl in Unslung and it works. But cpan does not. When
      I try 'cpan> install Bundle::CPAN' I get this:

      CPAN: Storable loaded ok
      LWP not available
      CPAN: Net::FTP loaded ok
      Fetching with Net::FTP:
      ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
      Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
      /bin/gzip: unrecognized option `--decompress'
      BusyBox v1.3.1 (2007-12-29 03:38:35 UTC) multi-call binary

      Usage: gzip [OPTION]... [FILE]...

      Compress FILE(s) with maximum compression.
      When FILE is '-' or unspecified, reads standard input. Implies -c.

      -c Write output to standard output instead of FILE.gz
      -d Decompress
      -f Force write when destination is a terminal

      LWP not available
      Fetching with Net::FTP:
      ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
      Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
      /bin/gzip: unrecognized option `--decompress'
      BusyBox v1.3.1 (2007-12-29 03:38:35 UTC) multi-call binary

      Usage: gzip [OPTION]... [FILE]...

      Compress FILE(s) with maximum compression.
      When FILE is '-' or unspecified, reads standard input. Implies -c.

      -c Write output to standard output instead of FILE.gz
      -d Decompress
      -f Force write when destination is a terminal

      Warning: Your /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
      does not contain a Line-Count header.
      Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more
      than one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to
      happen.
      Warning: Your /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
      does not contain a Last-Updated header.
      Please check the validity of the index file by comparing it to more
      than one CPAN mirror. I'll continue but problems seem likely to
      happen.
      LWP not available
      Fetching with Net::FTP:
      ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz
      Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
      /bin/gzip: unrecognized option `--decompress'
      BusyBox v1.3.1 (2007-12-29 03:38:35 UTC) multi-call binary

      Usage: gzip [OPTION]... [FILE]...

      Compress FILE(s) with maximum compression.
      When FILE is '-' or unspecified, reads standard input. Implies -c.

      -c Write output to standard output instead of FILE.gz
      -d Decompress
      -f Force write when destination is a terminal

      Can't locate object method "data" via package "CPAN::Modulelist"
      (perhaps you forgot to load "CPAN::Modulelist"?) at (eval 31) line 1.
      at /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 3405
      CPAN::Index::rd_modlist
      ('CPAN::Index', '/root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz')
      called at /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 3128
      CPAN::Index::reload('CPAN::Index') called
      at /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 675
      CPAN::exists('CPAN=HASH
      (0x533ae0)', 'CPAN::Bundle', 'Bundle::CPAN') called
      at /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 1925
      CPAN::Shell::expand('CPAN::Shell', 'Bundle', 'Bundle::CPAN')
      called at /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 1839
      CPAN::Shell::expandany('CPAN::Shell', 'Bundle::CPAN') called
      at /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 2077
      CPAN::Shell::rematein
      ('CPAN::Shell', 'install', 'Bundle::CPAN') called
      at /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 2164
      CPAN::Shell::install('CPAN::Shell', 'Bundle::CPAN') called
      at /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 201
      eval {...} called at /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 201
      CPAN::shell() called at /opt/bin/cpan line 193

      cpan>

      I searched the web and found a number of questions in forums about
      this sort of thing, but none was ever answered. Any help here?

      Paul
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 15 , May 22, 2008
        In message <g14d8l+kq6g@...>, indusmunz <pbatt@...> writes
        >I've installed perl in Unslung and it works. But cpan does not. When
        >I try 'cpan> install Bundle::CPAN' I get this:

        >CPAN: Storable loaded ok
        >LWP not available
        >CPAN: Net::FTP loaded ok
        >Fetching with Net::FTP:
        > ftp://ftp.perl.org/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
        >Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
        >/bin/gzip: unrecognized option `--decompress'
        >BusyBox v1.3.1 (2007-12-29 03:38:35 UTC) multi-call binary
        >
        >Usage: gzip [OPTION]... [FILE]...
        >
        >Compress FILE(s) with maximum compression.
        >When FILE is '-' or unspecified, reads standard input. Implies -c.

        > -c Write output to standard output instead of FILE.gz
        > -d Decompress
        > -f Force write when destination is a terminal

        <Snip>

        To fix this try

        ipkg install gzip

        This will install a gzip version that supports the --decompress option.
        Installs into /opt/bin which should be first in your path. To test this
        type :-

        gzip --help

        It should show gzip 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93) plus a list of options.

        Cpan does work with Unslung, it does needs other Optware packages to
        work, program build tools such as cpp and the linker plus others etc.
        Your next attempt at installing Bundle::CPAN will probably error out
        with a different error, it's a matter of fixing the error mainly by
        installing the missing Optware packages as they crop up.

        Also you need to be very patient compiling with Cpan. The build tools
        such as cpp and ld run very slowly on the NSLU2 because they need to use
        the ram swap space which slows things down to crawl speed.

        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 15 , May 24, 2008
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
          wrote:

          > <Snip>
          >
          > To fix this try
          >
          > ipkg install gzip
          >
          > This will install a gzip version that supports the --decompress
          option.

          Hello Robert,
          yes, that got me a little bit further. But while installing
          Bundle::CPAN the process seems to hang infinitely after this:

          ---------------------------------
          CPAN: Storable loaded ok
          Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
          Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
          Database was generated on Fri, 23 May 2008 02:29:49 GMT
          HTTP::Date not available

          There's a new CPAN.pm version (v1.9205) available!
          [Current version is v1.7602]
          You might want to try
          install Bundle::CPAN
          reload cpan
          without quitting the current session. It should be a seamless
          upgrade
          while we are running...
          -----------------------------------

          I don't understand what the above means and what I am actually
          supposed to do. But I waited more than one hour bevor I opened
          another ssh-Session to the NSLU. When I entered 'cpan' there I was
          told that there was still another cpan process running which did not
          respond.

          Any advice?

          Thanks a lot.
          Paul
        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 15 , May 24, 2008
            In message <g18t74+9fjh@...>, indusmunz <pbatt@...> writes
            >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
            >wrote:
            >>
            >> <Snip>
            >>
            >> To fix this try
            >>
            >> ipkg install gzip
            >>
            >> This will install a gzip version that supports the --decompress
            >option.
            >
            >Hello Robert,
            >yes, that got me a little bit further. But while installing
            >Bundle::CPAN the process seems to hang infinitely after this:
            >
            >---------------------------------
            >CPAN: Storable loaded ok
            >Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
            >Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
            > Database was generated on Fri, 23 May 2008 02:29:49 GMT
            > HTTP::Date not available
            >
            > There's a new CPAN.pm version (v1.9205) available!
            > [Current version is v1.7602]
            > You might want to try
            > install Bundle::CPAN
            > reload cpan
            > without quitting the current session. It should be a seamless
            >upgrade
            > while we are running...
            >-----------------------------------
            >
            >I don't understand what the above means and what I am actually
            >supposed to do. But I waited more than one hour bevor I opened
            >another ssh-Session to the NSLU. When I entered 'cpan' there I was
            >told that there was still another cpan process running which did not
            >respond.

            I think that CPAN is updating the database of modules, this normally
            takes about 2 hours with the NSLU2 (takes only 2 minutes on my Linux P3
            Intel box but this has 512mb ram).

            If you see a prompt similar to

            cpan[1]>

            then CPAN is ready for a command.

            If you do not see the prompt then CPAN is still busy doing something.
            Suggest that you log in as root with another console screen and type the
            console command

            ps

            It should list '/opt/bin/perl /opt/bin/cpan' with the amount of memory
            being used. In the dormant state on my machine is about 12,000 but can
            grow to be much higher than this, perhaps 60,000. The NSLU2 has only
            32,000 plus about 60,000 of swap space so you may run out of memory.
            I have increased the swap on my machine by 256,000 - an easy task with
            details somewhere in the Wiki and also on many web pages.

            CPAN will load modules as it needs them, depending on task and these
            modules stay loaded until you exit CPAN. So a tip with the NSLU2 is to
            exit CPAN after a task (such as updating the database or installing a
            module) and then re-load CPAN, this reduces the memory footprint for
            the next task.

            If you think that a task is going wrong, you can press ' CTRL C', CPAN
            will after a short delay go back to the CPAN prompt with no damage. You
            may have to then exit CPAN and re-load before attempting another task.
            You can also press 'CTRL C', this seems to abort and exit CPAN, again
            seems to be no damage.

            Also at a console prompt type

            free

            will display how much memory is being used.
            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA
            Message 5 of 15 , May 26, 2008
              Phew! This time I let the NSLU alone over night after I startet the
              CPAN installation, and it was not before 16 hours that the cpan prompt
              finally came up again. The process left a plethora of error messages
              and warnings and other stuff I don't want to bother anyoune with. I'll
              rather take a break here to learn some more about Perl and CPAN before
              I give it another try.

              Btw, just out of curiosity I did the same 'install Bundle::CPAN' thing
              on an Ubuntu 7.10 Pentium III machine. It was much faster, but it
              caused the same mess of errors. Last time I worked with Perl was about
              ten years ago. Installing the language and its modules was a very
              simple and easy thing back then, but this seem's to have changed
              fundamentally. Anyway thanks al lot of helping me with this.

              Paul
            • Robert Hammond
              Message 6 of 15 , May 26, 2008
                In message <g1etak+v23u@...>, indusmunz <pbatt@...> writes
                >Phew! This time I let the NSLU alone over night after I startet the
                >CPAN installation, and it was not before 16 hours that the cpan prompt
                >finally came up again. The process left a plethora of error messages
                >and warnings and other stuff I don't want to bother anyoune with. I'll
                >rather take a break here to learn some more about Perl and CPAN before
                >I give it another try.
                >
                >Btw, just out of curiosity I did the same 'install Bundle::CPAN' thing
                >on an Ubuntu 7.10 Pentium III machine. It was much faster, but it
                >caused the same mess of errors. Last time I worked with Perl was about
                >ten years ago. Installing the language and its modules was a very
                >simple and easy thing back then, but this seem's to have changed
                >fundamentally. Anyway thanks al lot of helping me with this.

                Bundle::CPAN installs or updates a huge number of modules, many will
                have installed with no errors. So if you run this again it will take a
                much shorter time.

                A tip is to turn on the logging function with your console program (I
                use Putty). Then run the install again and watch for the first set of
                errors. Then use CTRL C to exit. Examining the errors will probably
                show missing dependencies.

                Note the you will defiantly need to install the following build tools :-
                make
                crosstool-native

                --
                Robert Hammond
                PGP:0x154144DA
                Message 7 of 15 , May 27, 2008
                  Hello Robert,

                  > Bundle::CPAN installs or updates a huge number of modules, many
                  will
                  > have installed with no errors. So if you run this again it will
                  take a
                  > much shorter time.
                  >
                  > A tip is to turn on the logging function with your console program
                  (I
                  > use Putty). Then run the install again and watch for the first set
                  of
                  > errors. Then use CTRL C to exit. Examining the errors will
                  probably
                  > show missing dependencies.
                  >
                  > Note the you will defiantly need to install the following build
                  tools :-
                  > make
                  > crosstool-native

                  I made another attempt and got lots of these:

                  -----------------
                  /bin/sh: armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc: not found
                  make: *** [Cwd.o] Error 127
                  /opt/bin/make -- NOT OK
                  Running make test
                  Can't test without successful make
                  Running make install
                  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
                  -----------------

                  Does this tell you something? Thanks,
                  Paul
                • inet2xtreme
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 27, 2008
                    Looks like you need to install these packages: make, gcc, binutils.
                    might help.

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "indusmunz" <pbatt@...> wrote:

                    > Hello Robert,
                    >

                    > > Bundle::CPAN installs or updates a huge number of modules, many
                    > will
                    > > have installed with no errors. So if you run this again it will
                    > take a
                    > > much shorter time.
                    > >
                    > > A tip is to turn on the logging function with your console
                    program
                    > (I
                    > > use Putty). Then run the install again and watch for the first
                    set
                    > of
                    > > errors. Then use CTRL C to exit. Examining the errors will
                    > probably
                    > > show missing dependencies.
                    > >
                    > > Note the you will defiantly need to install the following build
                    > tools :-
                    > > make
                    > > crosstool-native
                    >
                    > I made another attempt and got lots of these:
                    >
                    > -----------------
                    > /bin/sh: armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc: not found
                    > make: *** [Cwd.o] Error 127
                    > /opt/bin/make -- NOT OK
                    > Running make test
                    > Can't test without successful make
                    > Running make install
                    > make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
                    > -----------------
                    >
                    > Does this tell you something? Thanks,
                    > Paul

                  • indusmunz
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 28, 2008
                      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "inet2xtreme" <yahoobcm@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Looks like you need to install these packages: make, gcc,
                      binutils.
                      > might help.

                      These seem to be installed. Here's what I have:

                      Package: autoconf
                      Package: automake
                      Package: bash
                      Package: bzip2
                      Package: coreutils
                      Package: cron
                      Package: crosstool-native
                      Package: crosstool-native-arch-bin
                      Package: crosstool-native-arch-inc
                      Package: crosstool-native-arch-lib
                      Package: crosstool-native-bin
                      Package: crosstool-native-inc
                      Package: crosstool-native-lib
                      Package: cyrus-imapd
                      Package: cyrus-imapd-doc
                      Package: cyrus-sasl
                      Package: cyrus-sasl-libs
                      Package: dnsmasq
                      Package: e2fslibs
                      Package: e2fsprogs
                      Package: emacs-lisp
                      Package: emacs22
                      Package: fetchmail
                      Package: findutils
                      Package: gawk
                      Package: gdbm
                      Package: glib
                      Package: groff
                      Package: gzip
                      Package: ipkg
                      Package: kernel
                      Package: kernel-2.4.22-xfs
                      Package: kernel-image-2.4.22-xfs
                      Package: kernel-module-netconsole
                      Package: less
                      Package: libc6-unslung
                      Package: libdb
                      Package: libgcc
                      Package: libidn
                      Package: libipkg
                      Package: libnsl
                      Package: libstdc++
                      Package: m4
                      Package: make
                      Package: man
                      Package: mc
                      Package: mutt
                      Package: nail
                      Package: ncftp
                      Package: ncurses
                      Package: ncursesw
                      Package: nslu2-linksys-libs
                      Package: openssh
                      Package: openssl
                      Package: pcre
                      Package: perl
                      Package: postfix
                      Package: postfix-doc
                      Package: readline
                      Package: sed
                      Package: slang
                      Package: slingbox
                      Package: tar
                      Package: unslung-feeds
                      Package: unslung-rootfs
                      Package: update-modules
                      Package: update-rc.d
                      Package: xmail
                      Package: zlib

                      I addes lynx recently.

                      Paul
                    • Robert Hammond
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 28, 2008
                        In message <g1im7q+u3pp@...>, indusmunz <pbatt@...> writes

                        >I made another attempt and got lots of these:
                        >
                        >-----------------
                        >/bin/sh: armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc: not found
                        >make: *** [Cwd.o] Error 127
                        > /opt/bin/make -- NOT OK
                        >Running make test
                        > Can't test without successful make
                        >Running make install
                        > make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
                        >-----------------
                        >
                        >Does this tell you something? Thanks,
                        >Paul

                        armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc installs as part of crosstool-native so you
                        should have it somewhere.

                        So either armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc is missing on your machine or
                        perhaps a sim link is needed.

                        Firstly I suggest typing at a console prompt :-

                        gcc -v

                        It should give quite a large output ended by 'gcc version 3.3.5'.

                        Also try

                        armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc -v

                        This should also give the same output.

                        Probably one or both of these will be broken and need a sim link added
                        into /opt/bin.

                        On my machine there is a sim link called :-
                        /opt/bin/gcc
                        which points to
                        /opt/armeb/bin/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc

                        also another sim link called :-
                        /opt/bin/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc
                        which also points to
                        /opt/armeb/bin/armv5b-softfloat-linux-gcc

                        It may be slightly different on your machine because I may well have
                        re-configured my setup some time back.

                        --
                        Robert Hammond
                        PGP:0x154144DA
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 31, 2008
                          wrote:
                          > (...)

                          Hello Robert,
                          I did as I was told and it helped. I'm proud to even have managed
                          some more broken links myself. This took us a little further. The
                          cpan prompt now comes up without any warnung about missing stuff. And
                          about one third of Bundle::CPAN seems to have installed fine.

                          But I once more need your help. There are lots of such errors:

                          --------------
                          # Failed test (t/03zlib-v1.t at line 36)
                          # Tried to use 'IO::Compress::Gzip::Constants'.
                          # Error: Can't locate IO/Compress/Gzip/Constants.pm in @INC
                          (@INC contains: t t/compress /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
                          2.011/blib/lib /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
                          2.011/blib/arch /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/armv5b-
                          linux /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/armv5b-
                          linux /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at
                          (eval 11) line 2.
                          # BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/03zlib-v1.t line 36.
                          ---------------

                          I know @INC is sort of Perl's internal PATH variable, but I coudn't
                          figure how to expand it. Also I wonder how to handle such many
                          Modules that Perl can't find. Literally hundreds, and they are in
                          many different places like "IO/Compross/Raw/", "IO/Compross/Base/"
                          etc. What do you think?

                          Thanks, Paul
                        • Robert Hammond
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 2, 2008
                            In message <g1scsu+6m3b@...>, indusmunz <pbatt@...> writes
                            >--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
                            >wrote:
                            >> (...)
                            >
                            >Hello Robert,
                            >I did as I was told and it helped. I'm proud to even have managed
                            >some more broken links myself. This took us a little further. The
                            >cpan prompt now comes up without any warnung about missing stuff. And
                            >about one third of Bundle::CPAN seems to have installed fine.
                            >
                            >But I once more need your help. There are lots of such errors:
                            >
                            >--------------
                            ># Failed test (t/03zlib-v1.t at line 36)
                            ># Tried to use 'IO::Compress::Gzip::Constants'.
                            ># Error: Can't locate IO/Compress/Gzip/Constants.pm in @INC
                            >(@INC contains: t t/compress /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
                            >2.011/blib/lib /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
                            >2.011/blib/arch /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/armv5b-
                            >linux /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/armv5b-
                            >linux /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at
                            >(eval 11) line 2.
                            ># BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/03zlib-v1.t line 36.
                            >---------------
                            >
                            >I know @INC is sort of Perl's internal PATH variable, but I coudn't
                            >figure how to expand it. Also I wonder how to handle such many
                            >Modules that Perl can't find. Literally hundreds, and they are in
                            >many different places like "IO/Compross/Raw/", "IO/Compross/Base/"
                            >etc. What do you think?

                            Not too sure what this is. You could try installing a couple of the pre
                            built perl modules from the Optware feeds, there is a good chance that
                            installing these will fix your problem.

                            ipkg install perl-compress-zlib
                            ipkg install perl-io-zlib

                            --
                            Robert Hammond
                            PGP:0x154144DA
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 2, 2008
                              In message <tRG0$TC2VERIFw2P@...>, Robert Hammond
                              <rob.hammond@...> writes
                              >In message <g1scsu+6m3b@...>, indusmunz <pbatt@...> writes
                              >>--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
                              >>wrote:
                              >>> (...)
                              >>
                              >>Hello Robert,
                              >>I did as I was told and it helped. I'm proud to even have managed
                              >>some more broken links myself. This took us a little further. The
                              >>cpan prompt now comes up without any warnung about missing stuff. And
                              >>about one third of Bundle::CPAN seems to have installed fine.
                              >>
                              >>But I once more need your help. There are lots of such errors:
                              >>
                              >>--------------
                              >># Failed test (t/03zlib-v1.t at line 36)
                              >># Tried to use 'IO::Compress::Gzip::Constants'.
                              >># Error: Can't locate IO/Compress/Gzip/Constants.pm in @INC
                              >>(@INC contains: t t/compress /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
                              >>2.011/blib/lib /root/.cpan/build/Compress-Zlib-
                              >>2.011/blib/arch /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8/armv5b-
                              >>linux /opt/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/armv5b-
                              >>linux /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /opt/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at
                              >>(eval 11) line 2.
                              >># BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t/03zlib-v1.t line 36.
                              >>---------------
                              >>
                              >>I know @INC is sort of Perl's internal PATH variable, but I coudn't
                              >>figure how to expand it. Also I wonder how to handle such many
                              >>Modules that Perl can't find. Literally hundreds, and they are in
                              >>many different places like "IO/Compross/Raw/", "IO/Compross/Base/"
                              >>etc. What do you think?
                              >>
                              >Not too sure what this is. You could try installing a couple of the pre
                              >built perl modules from the Optware feeds, there is a good chance that
                              >installing these will fix your problem.
                              >
                              >ipkg install perl-compress-zlib
                              >ipkg install perl-io-zlib

                              Second thoughts here, I think that installing these modules will not
                              fix this.
                              I do have this module compiled - version 2.011, unsure if I had any
                              problems with it.

                              There are three prerequisite modules that need to be installed first so
                              suggest using the install option in a CPAN console shell for each and
                              monitor any errors.
                              Compress::Raw::Zlib
                              IO::Compress::Base
                              IO::Uncompress::Base

                              Then IO::Compress::Gzip::Constants is part of module
                              IO-Compress-Zlib

                              If you desperately need this module then perhaps one of the package
                              developers may built it for the Optware feed using the cross compile
                              method.

                              --
                              Robert Hammond
                              PGP:0x154144DA
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
                                wrote:

                                > Second thoughts here, I think that installing these modules will
                                not
                                > fix this.
                                > I do have this module compiled - version 2.011, unsure if I had
                                any
                                > problems with it.
                                >
                                > There are three prerequisite modules that need to be installed
                                first so
                                > suggest using the install option in a CPAN console shell for each
                                and
                                > monitor any errors.
                                > Compress::Raw::Zlib
                                > IO::Compress::Base
                                > IO::Uncompress::Base
                                >
                                > Then IO::Compress::Gzip::Constants is part of module
                                > IO-Compress-Zlib
                                >
                                > If you desperately need this module then perhaps one of the package
                                > developers may built it for the Optware feed using the cross
                                compile
                                > method.

                                I should express myself more clearly. I actually have all those
                                modules. When I do a find file command they all come up. The problem
                                is, they are not listed in @INC. I checked the putty log file a
                                little bit more thoroughly and found that the problem reduces to
                                these:

                                Compress/Raw/Zlib.pm
                                Compress/Zlib.pm
                                IO/Compress/Base.pm
                                IO/Compress/Base/Common.pm
                                IO/Compress/Gzip.pm
                                IO/Compress/Gzip/Constants.pm
                                IO/Uncompress/AnyUncompress.pm
                                IO/Uncompress/Base.pm
                                IO/Uncompress/Gunzip.pm

                                All the .pm files are actually somewhere in the .cpan directory in
                                different directories. Only not where @INC has them listed.

                                Can I not simply add them to @INC somehow? Or symlink them so that
                                Perl can find them?

                                Thanks, Paul
                              • indusmunz
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                                  Finally it's done!

                                  Please disregard my last two messages about fixing an issue with
                                  @INC. That was not the problem.

                                  I was not able to install Perl 5 complete with CPAN under Unslung
                                  unless I had done all these:

                                  # ipkg update
                                  # ipkg install unslung-feeds
                                  # ipkg install perl
                                  # ipkg install gzip
                                  # ipkg install tar
                                  # ipkg install unslung-devel
                                  # ipkg install which
                                  # ipkg install expat
                                  # ipkg install zlib
                                  # ipkg install wget
                                  # ipkg install libgcc

                                  There were some packages like gzip that needed to be installed even
                                  though they appeared to be there already. Also I had to install some
                                  packages twice, don't aks me why, before they would function
                                  properly. I checked this by

                                  # ipkg list_installed <something>

                                  until there were no more error messages. After that I was able to

                                  cpan> install Bundle::CPAN

                                  which took several hours but works fine now. Unfortunately I can't
                                  tell, to which degree the things I've done before installing and re-
                                  installing all the necessary packages, added to this outcome (like
                                  symlinking some targets, etc). I have the impression, that I should
                                  have installed everything in the first place.

                                  Thanks a lot to Robert Hammond who's comments were enormously helpful!

                                  Paul