Re: [nslu2-linux] Auto-power-on hack (itwerx3 - need your help!)

  • rwhitby
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2004
      On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 01:03:22 -0000, itwerx3 <yahoo@...> wrote:
      > So I stuck a 22k resistor (probably anything between 5k and 40k would work)
      > between the +5v line and pin 5 of the flip-flop... Et voila', auto power on!

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ForcePowerAlwaysOn

      Well, I just tried this (I was the one who previously copied that
      email to the wiki, and I finally decided to perform the procedure on
      my production slug, after having a short blackout at home this
      morning).

      It didn't work. No change to operation of power button, and no
      auto-power-on when external power is first applied.

      Has anyone else performed this procedure? What's the secret?

      I'd like to know if this was a one-off (in which case there might have
      been other steps which were missed out in itwerx3's original email),
      or whether others have got it to work (in which case it is something
      strange about my production slug, which has only ever had the serial
      header added to it).

      [ And yes, I know I did it correctly, as per the email and wiki.
      You can see pictures of other examples my hardware skills here:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddAThirtyFourPinUniversalConnector
      Note that that work was done on my other slug. ]

      -- Rod
    • kaijuupie
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2004
        After checking out the modification, I concluded that the picture
        showing the modification contain a slight error. The resistor appears
        to be soldered to the top (Near the 74HC74) of the 4.7k surface mount
        resistor (The one that has 472 written on top of it) This will have
        no effect as the D-FF will effectively shorted the resistor to ground.
        To make the modification works, it should be soldered to the bottom
        of that resistor (Away from the 74HC74)

        BTW. resistance more than 10k is unlikely to work and resistance less
        than 1K will probally damage the circuit.

        P.S. In the picture, the resister that is used looks like a 220ohm
        one, not a 2.2k one. With a resistance that low, it will force the
        D-FF high and the circuit will work, however, it will also cause the
        74HC74 to overheat.

        If you want a SLUG that will turn on when you plug it in, not a SLUG
        that stuck on (Making the power button is useless and you can't
        control the power trhough software) you probally want to try this
        instead: Connect a capacitor around 0.1uF (0.01 to 1uF probally will
        work too) from pin 4 of the 74HC74 (The pin that connect to a 10k
        resistor marked with 103 on top) to the power. This will turn the
        SLUG on when you plug it in, but the power button will still works.

        Kaijuu