Re: [nslu2-linux] Hello and a small question concerning Unslung

    Message 1 of 16 , May 5, 2008
      jean jacques goesens wrote:
      > The memory may be limited by two things:
      >
      > 1) It depends if APEX was compiled with 2 banks support or not, if compiled for only one bank,
      > the second (piggy pack) will be ignored.

      I believe that 1.5.13 can detect both cases.

      > 2) It depends also of the memscan command in the environment, it limits the memory
      > scan so extra memory is not detected.

      Yes, this is the way you can intentionally limit it to 64MB.

      > If it works, you can type the rest of the sequence manually to boot linux
      > and check if you get the whole intended memory.

      Then use use the setenv command on the apex console command line to
      change that command. No need to reflash.

      > I wrote a small batch in order to create the image.bin file, i need to find it on my slug:
      >
      > *#! /bin/sh
      > echo recuperation des blocks
      >
      > dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=block0.bin
      > dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 of=block1.bin
      > dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 of=block2.bin
      > dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 of=block3.bin
      > dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 of=block4.bin
      > dd if=/dev/mtdblock5 of=block5.bin
      >
      > echo creation de l image
      >
      > cat block0.bin block1.bin block2.bin block3.bin block4.bin block5.bin > image.bin

      You can simplify this to:

      cat /dev/mtdblock* > image.bin

      > Personally, i created as this two images, one with the 64M memory,
      > another with 256M-2 banks limitation.

      There is also an apex-env command which allows you to make this change
      from the linux userland command line. No need to reflash, just edit the
      apex environment and reboot.