Re: [nslu2-linux] Hello and a small question concerning Unslung

  • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
    Message 1 of 16 , May 4, 2008
      Hi Rod,

      I installed Openwrt, openwrt-kamikaze-nslu2.bin (Kernel Linux 2.6.21.6)
      and when I boot with a ctrlC after the + I go into Redboot, I don't see APEX
      as you said it's included.
      Probably I miss something?

      pf

      From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Pierre-Fran=E7ois_=28f5bqp=5Fpfm=29?=
      <pfmonet@...>
      Date: Sunday, May 4, 2008 5:42 pm
      To: <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>Reply-To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com

      Hi,

      __________ Information NOD32 3072 (20080503) __________

      Ce message a ete verifie par NOD32 Antivirus System.
      http://www.nod32.com
    • jean jacques goesens
      Message 2 of 16 , May 4, 2008
        Hi Pierre François,

        Happy to read you!

        If you look at the boot log, you must see something like this :

        *RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROMRAM]
        Red Hat certified release, version 1.92 - built 15:16:07, Feb 3 2004

        Platform: IXDP425 Development Platform (XScale)
        Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, Red Hat, Inc.

        RAM: 0x00000000-0x02000000, 0x000723a0-0x01ff3000 available
        FLASH: 0x50000000 - 0x50800000, 64 blocks of 0x00020000 bytes each.
        == Executing boot script in 2.000 seconds - enter ^C to abort
        RedBoot> boot;exec 0x01d00000
        have eRcOmM
        copy kernel code from flash to RAM
        copy ramdisk file from flash to RAM
        run kernel
        Using base address 0x01d00000 and length 0x0000bc00
        Ans

        APEX Boot Loader 1.5.11 -- Copyright (c) 2004,2005,2006,2007 Marc Singer
        compiled for Debian NSLU2

        APEX comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. It is free software and
        you are welcome to redistribute it under certain circumstances.
        For details, refer to the file COPYING in the program source.

        apex => mem:0x00200000+0xbc00 (48128 bytes)
        env => nor:0x7c000+15k (no-write)

        Use the command 'help help' to get started.

        # sdram-init
        1 bank of 2 512Mib chips
        # memscan -u 0+256m
        0x0 0x08000000 (128 MiB)
        # copy -s $kernelsrc $bootaddr
        # copy -s fis://kernel 0x00008000
        1441760 bytes transferred
        # copy -s $ramdisksrc $ramdiskaddr
        # copy -s fis://ramdisk 0x01000000
        6291440 bytes transferred
        # wait 10 Type ^C key to cancel autoboot.
        Type ^C key to cancel autoboot.
        # boot
        ATAG_HEADER
        ATAG_MEM: start 0x00000000 size 0x08000000
        ATAG_CMDLINE: (55 bytes) 'console=ttyS0,115200 rtc-x1205.probe=0,0x6f noirqdebu'
        ATAG_INITRD2: start 0x01000000 size 0x00400000
        ATAG_END
        Booting kernel at 0x00008000... *

        if you type CTRL-C at boot you interrupt Redboot, so you cannot see the
        next steps..

        you must wait for getting into Apex to type CTRL-C and interrupt APEX.

        the try to type memscan -u 0+512m, it should answer :

        ** 0x0 0x08000000 (128 MiB)
        **or**
        **** 0x0 0x10000000 (256 MiB) **
        or**
        **** 0x0 0x20000000 (512 MiB) **

        The memory may be limited by two things:

        1) It depends if APEX was compiled with 2 banks support or not, if compiled for only one bank,
        the second (piggy pack) will be ignored.
        2) It depends also of the memscan command in the environment, it limits the memory
        scan so extra memory is not detected.

        If it works, you can type the rest of the sequence manually to boot linux
        and check if you get the whole intended memory.
        Here is the link wich was the most useful for me:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/CompileApex
        It is (relatively) simple to compile apex on the target machine and to copy it
        directly into mtd2.
        When it works, you can create a comple flash image with your version(s)
        to keep it ready for recover a machine in case of trouble or to flash another machine.

        I wrote a small batch in order to create the image.bin file, i need to find it on my slug:

        *#! /bin/sh
        echo recuperation des blocks

        dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=block0.bin
        dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 of=block1.bin
        dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 of=block2.bin
        dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 of=block3.bin
        dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 of=block4.bin
        dd if=/dev/mtdblock5 of=block5.bin

        echo creation de l image

        cat block0.bin block1.bin block2.bin block3.bin block4.bin block5.bin > image.bin

        *image.bin contains the current flash image, keep it preciousely!

        Personally, i created as this two images, one with the 64M memory,
        another with 256M-2 banks limitation.

        JJ

        Message 3 of 16 , May 5, 2008
          jean jacques goesens wrote:
          > The memory may be limited by two things:
          >
          > 1) It depends if APEX was compiled with 2 banks support or not, if compiled for only one bank,
          > the second (piggy pack) will be ignored.

          I believe that 1.5.13 can detect both cases.

          > 2) It depends also of the memscan command in the environment, it limits the memory
          > scan so extra memory is not detected.

          Yes, this is the way you can intentionally limit it to 64MB.

          > If it works, you can type the rest of the sequence manually to boot linux
          > and check if you get the whole intended memory.

          Then use use the setenv command on the apex console command line to
          change that command. No need to reflash.

          > I wrote a small batch in order to create the image.bin file, i need to find it on my slug:
          >
          > *#! /bin/sh
          > echo recuperation des blocks
          >
          > dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=block0.bin
          > dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 of=block1.bin
          > dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 of=block2.bin
          > dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 of=block3.bin
          > dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 of=block4.bin
          > dd if=/dev/mtdblock5 of=block5.bin
          >
          > echo creation de l image
          >
          > cat block0.bin block1.bin block2.bin block3.bin block4.bin block5.bin > image.bin

          You can simplify this to:

          cat /dev/mtdblock* > image.bin

          > Personally, i created as this two images, one with the 64M memory,
          > another with 256M-2 banks limitation.

          There is also an apex-env command which allows you to make this change
          from the linux userland command line. No need to reflash, just edit the
          apex environment and reboot.