Re: [nslu2-linux] Hello and a small question concerning Unslung

  • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
    Message 1 of 16 , May 4, 2008
      Hi Rob,

      No no, when I said "I got the 10oz of vodka and the rest..." it's because I booted Openwrt! At the serial console port there is a funny pleasant message :"10 oz of vodka, 10 oz Triple sec 10 oz of lime juice ...", so my small joke was to show you I finally booted OpenWrt...
      And I'd a STATIC IP configuring because I think there is something strange into the configuration after the flashing, but finally I just found how to turnaround the problem by configuring by hand the config DHCP file to disable it. And after I discovered that ther is a nice GUI interface also permitting to configure everything even more easily!

      Now I need to add my memory and I don't know how to do. I see Redboot at the boot but I don't see APEX. Should I see it or not?

      I assume you're running OpenWrt, am I right?

      And good night if it's time for you also... Here I'll continue to play with the slug...
      pf

      Message 2 of 16 , May 4, 2008
        If you built openwrt yourself, it will have apex. I don't remember whether the latest binary release uses it or not.
        Once you have apex, you can change it's startup command (using the apex-env package or your seriall console) to memscan for 64MB max.
        -- Rod

        >No no, when I said "I got the 10oz of vodka and the rest..." it's because I booted Openwrt! At the serial console port there is a funny pleasant message :"10 oz of vodka, 10 oz Triple sec 10 oz of lime juice ...", so my small joke was to show you I finally booted OpenWrt...
        >And I'd a STATIC IP configuring because I think there is something strange into the configuration after the flashing, but finally I just found how to turnaround the problem by configuring by hand the config DHCP file to disable it. And after I discovered that ther is a nice GUI interface also permitting to configure everything even more easily!
        >
        >Now I need to add my memory and I don't know how to do. I see Redboot at the boot but I don't see APEX. Should I see it or not?
        >
        >I assume you're running OpenWrt, am I right?
        >
        >And good night if it's time for you also... Here I'll continue to play with the slug...
        >pf
        >

        > ----- Original Message ----- From: Rob Lockhart To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 10:58 PM Subject: Re: [nslu2-linux] Hello and a small question concerning Unslung
        >

        >Hi, Pierre. My apologies, I don't use unslug, I've only used debian slug mostly. For these kinds of questions, you might have more luck on the nslu2-general group, or perhaps searching the archives? I looked on the wiki http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage but I couldn't find anything relevant to dhcp. Once I saw the effort required to get unslung working (for me), I went the debian approach. But it does have its drawbacks, especially if the hard drive dies and you have to reinstall the OS (but not userspace).
        >
        >Good luck,
        > -Rob
        >
        > On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Pierre-Fran�ois (f5bqp_pfm) pfmonet@...> wrote:
        >
        >Hi Rob,
        >
        >I got the 10 oz of vodka and the rest... lol...
        >My concern now is I cannot get out from the DHCP as far I see my fixed address when I type "uci show network.lan" .
        >What should I modify into the /etc/config/dhcp ? Delete the line "option ignore 1" into config dhcp ? or put a 0 instead of 1 ?
        >It's unclear, I thought that 1 was setting up the "ignore dhcp"!
        >

        >__________ Information NOD32 3072 (20080503) __________
        >
        >Ce message a ete verifie par NOD32 Antivirus System.
        >http://www.nod32.com

      • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
        Message 3 of 16 , May 4, 2008
          Hi Rod,

          I installed Openwrt, openwrt-kamikaze-nslu2.bin (Kernel Linux 2.6.21.6)
          and when I boot with a ctrlC after the + I go into Redboot, I don't see APEX
          as you said it's included.
          Probably I miss something?

          pf

          From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Pierre-Fran=E7ois_=28f5bqp=5Fpfm=29?=
          <pfmonet@...>
          Date: Sunday, May 4, 2008 5:42 pm
          To: <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>Reply-To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com

          Hi,

          >Finally I could make my Slug running properly with Unslug and the packages
          >Xinetd + Samba2 + Fuppes as I was expecting (Xinetd to have permanently
          >TELNET loaded, it's more simple to use than Tssh on a pure private
          >network).
          >
          >Now next step I want to take advantage of the mem upgrade I already made up
          >to 256MB (4 x 512mbit chips) and then running the same packages plus some
          >others.
          >I anticipate to run OpenWrt to try to run with no hard disks in a later
          >stage (except the NAS where are stored the video files). (probably I'll
          >have
          >to upgrade to ObeseSlug if 8MB flash isn't sufficient).
          >
          >Where can I find an url on how to load APEX on top of Redboot before I
          >switch to OpenWrt, I don't want to mix the problems... One at a time...
          >I've tried to find something, I found many sites talking APEX but not one
          >really good ( or unclear for me...) on how to keep Redboot below APEX. Can
          >you help?
          >
          >For info I wasn't able to mount under Unslung the NAS file system with the
          >command "mount -t smbfs .... ", it doesn't work with Unslung as it should,
          >don't know why but nevermind I found a solution: I was forced to use the
          >direct command "/usr/bin/smbmount //ip_nas/nas_filesystem_to_mount
          >/mnt/...").
          >This was the cause of my problem explained earlier.
          >

          >Many thanks.
          >pf

        • jean jacques goesens
          Message 4 of 16 , May 4, 2008
            Hi Pierre François,

            Happy to read you!

            If you look at the boot log, you must see something like this :

            *RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROMRAM]
            Red Hat certified release, version 1.92 - built 15:16:07, Feb 3 2004

            Platform: IXDP425 Development Platform (XScale)
            Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, Red Hat, Inc.

            RAM: 0x00000000-0x02000000, 0x000723a0-0x01ff3000 available
            FLASH: 0x50000000 - 0x50800000, 64 blocks of 0x00020000 bytes each.
            == Executing boot script in 2.000 seconds - enter ^C to abort
            RedBoot> boot;exec 0x01d00000
            have eRcOmM
            copy kernel code from flash to RAM
            copy ramdisk file from flash to RAM
            run kernel
            Using base address 0x01d00000 and length 0x0000bc00
            Ans

            APEX Boot Loader 1.5.11 -- Copyright (c) 2004,2005,2006,2007 Marc Singer
            compiled for Debian NSLU2

            APEX comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. It is free software and
            you are welcome to redistribute it under certain circumstances.
            For details, refer to the file COPYING in the program source.

            apex => mem:0x00200000+0xbc00 (48128 bytes)
            env => nor:0x7c000+15k (no-write)

            Use the command 'help help' to get started.

            # sdram-init
            1 bank of 2 512Mib chips
            # memscan -u 0+256m
            0x0 0x08000000 (128 MiB)
            # copy -s $kernelsrc $bootaddr
            # copy -s fis://kernel 0x00008000
            1441760 bytes transferred
            # copy -s $ramdisksrc $ramdiskaddr
            # copy -s fis://ramdisk 0x01000000
            6291440 bytes transferred
            # wait 10 Type ^C key to cancel autoboot.
            Type ^C key to cancel autoboot.
            # boot
            ATAG_HEADER
            ATAG_MEM: start 0x00000000 size 0x08000000
            ATAG_CMDLINE: (55 bytes) 'console=ttyS0,115200 rtc-x1205.probe=0,0x6f noirqdebu'
            ATAG_INITRD2: start 0x01000000 size 0x00400000
            ATAG_END
            Booting kernel at 0x00008000... *

            if you type CTRL-C at boot you interrupt Redboot, so you cannot see the
            next steps..

            you must wait for getting into Apex to type CTRL-C and interrupt APEX.

            the try to type memscan -u 0+512m, it should answer :

            ** 0x0 0x08000000 (128 MiB)
            **or**
            **** 0x0 0x10000000 (256 MiB) **
            or**
            **** 0x0 0x20000000 (512 MiB) **

            The memory may be limited by two things:

            1) It depends if APEX was compiled with 2 banks support or not, if compiled for only one bank,
            the second (piggy pack) will be ignored.
            2) It depends also of the memscan command in the environment, it limits the memory
            scan so extra memory is not detected.

            If it works, you can type the rest of the sequence manually to boot linux
            and check if you get the whole intended memory.
            Here is the link wich was the most useful for me:
            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/CompileApex
            It is (relatively) simple to compile apex on the target machine and to copy it
            directly into mtd2.
            When it works, you can create a comple flash image with your version(s)
            to keep it ready for recover a machine in case of trouble or to flash another machine.

            I wrote a small batch in order to create the image.bin file, i need to find it on my slug:

            *#! /bin/sh
            echo recuperation des blocks

            dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=block0.bin
            dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 of=block1.bin
            dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 of=block2.bin
            dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 of=block3.bin
            dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 of=block4.bin
            dd if=/dev/mtdblock5 of=block5.bin

            echo creation de l image

            cat block0.bin block1.bin block2.bin block3.bin block4.bin block5.bin > image.bin

            *image.bin contains the current flash image, keep it preciousely!

            Personally, i created as this two images, one with the 64M memory,
            another with 256M-2 banks limitation.

            JJ

            Message 5 of 16 , May 5, 2008
              jean jacques goesens wrote:
              > The memory may be limited by two things:
              >
              > 1) It depends if APEX was compiled with 2 banks support or not, if compiled for only one bank,
              > the second (piggy pack) will be ignored.

              I believe that 1.5.13 can detect both cases.

              > 2) It depends also of the memscan command in the environment, it limits the memory
              > scan so extra memory is not detected.

              Yes, this is the way you can intentionally limit it to 64MB.

              > If it works, you can type the rest of the sequence manually to boot linux
              > and check if you get the whole intended memory.

              Then use use the setenv command on the apex console command line to
              change that command. No need to reflash.

              > I wrote a small batch in order to create the image.bin file, i need to find it on my slug:
              >
              > *#! /bin/sh
              > echo recuperation des blocks
              >
              > dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=block0.bin
              > dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 of=block1.bin
              > dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 of=block2.bin
              > dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 of=block3.bin
              > dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 of=block4.bin
              > dd if=/dev/mtdblock5 of=block5.bin
              >
              > echo creation de l image
              >
              > cat block0.bin block1.bin block2.bin block3.bin block4.bin block5.bin > image.bin

              You can simplify this to:

              cat /dev/mtdblock* > image.bin

              > Personally, i created as this two images, one with the 64M memory,
              > another with 256M-2 banks limitation.

              There is also an apex-env command which allows you to make this change
              from the linux userland command line. No need to reflash, just edit the
              apex environment and reboot.