Re: [nslu2-linux] Hello and a small question concerning Unslung

    Message 1 of 16 , May 4 12:51 AM
      The standard nslu2 image built by openwrt includes apex as the second stage bootloader. Just flash it with upslug2, find out which dhcp address it acquired and then telnet in. I assume that since you've done a memory upgrade then you also have a serial console.
      Note that there are unresolved kernel issues in running slugs with more than 64MB, so you may want to tell apex to restrict the memory size passed to the kernel to 64MB, unless you want to be part of the debugging effort for this problem which hasn't been cracked in almost 2 years or more ...
      -- Rod

      Message 2 of 16 , May 4 3:39 AM
        Hi Rod,

        Back from gardening in between two Slug works... MORE painfull gardening...
        lol...
        Many thanks for your quick reply, I'll follow your advise and will try the
        64MB firstly then quickly 256MB and be humbly part of this discussion.
        Yes I've a serial console port, I don't know how is it possible not having
        one on a Linux box...
        I've not yet wired the JTAG connector, may be I should test it before doing
        this new flash, sometime it's good to be risky, this is why I din't yet...
        ;-))
        I presume I can flash with my "Windaube" XP box ( yes I still use it...with
        its blue screen... ) and Ugutil as I did to flash Unslung?

        pf

        __________ Information NOD32 3072 (20080503) __________

        Ce message a ete verifie par NOD32 Antivirus System.
        http://www.nod32.com
      • Rob Lockhart
        Message 3 of 16 , May 4 8:22 AM
          Hello, Pierre.

          I assume you know that once you put on a 16MiB flash, you'll be unable to get your old flash contents directly, unless you have a flash programmer and you're confident in setting that up (i.e., endianness and such).  Before you even think about replacing the flash, my strong advise is to confirm JTAG access.  Download the flash RedBoot space, then compare it to your dump of the same contents using /dev/mtd0 in one of the distributions.  This is not optional, because if you have no way to program the flash off-board, then you'll certainly need JTAG to program RedBoot on-board.  You'll have no way to put any code on the board if you don't!  :-)

          I've recently gotten this working in Cygwin if you don't have access to a Linux PC with a parallel-port.  I don't know if it's possible to use the USB-PARALLEL-port adapters in Cygwin or Linux for JTAG programming (because the bus timing may not be as accurate - I'm not 100% sure).

          Join the club if you get 256MiB installed but can only use 64MiB.  This bug is in the hands of the ARM kernel developers, and as Rod said, no movement in ~2yrs unfortunately.
          Rod, at one time in the past did you mention some work-around possible to use the DMA memory access techniques that are used in <64MiB in a >64MiB scenario?  I.e., force a "low-memory access mode" technique for high-memory populations?

            -Rob

        • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
          Message 4 of 16 , May 4 9:10 AM
            Hi Rob,

            Many thanks also for your advise, I wasn't aware of the risky stuff by just replacing the 8MB flash with a 16MB one. I thought it was just a question of substitution and reflashing as usual.
            For the JTAG stuff I'll not risk to use a USB/Parallel adapter, I know the timing problems with that kind of stuff, even with a silly RS232 problems happen. I've one Linux PC here but it doesn't have a parallel port, the only one I 've is an XP one. I guess it's possible to JTAG with it... However with "Windaube" from our friend Billou you never know... ;-))

            I'll join your club as I've already installed 256MB ( 4 x 512mbit chips ) in replacement of the 2 x original 128mbit and the slug works fine. So will see the next...

            After this I'll do the same on an old WGT634U wich I guess run also OpenWRT with a MIPS architecture (not ARM).

            Rod warns me already about the problems with the 256MB, probably I'll come back on this subject as soon as all the software will be in place. May be this night... Or these days...

            Thanks again Rob.

            pf

            Message 5 of 16 , May 4 10:52 AM
              BTW, it's possible to do the flashing via JTAG from within WinXP.  I've done it per the wiki:
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlashUsingJTAG

              Please let me know if you have any problems with that, if you go that route.  It's a work machine (my personal one doesn't have parallel-port!) so it has to run WinXP.  But it does work, surprisingly...

              Regards,
                -Rob

              Message 6 of 16 , May 4 12:05 PM
                Hi Rob,

                I got the 10 oz of vodka and the rest... lol...
                My concern now is I cannot get out from the DHCP as far I see my fixed address when I type "uci show network.lan" .
                What should I modify into the /etc/config/dhcp ? Delete the line "option ignore 1" into config dhcp ? or put a 0 instead of 1 ?
                It's unclear, I thought that 1 was setting up the "ignore dhcp"!

                Sorry to borrow you once more.
                pf

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 4 2:39 PM
                    Hi Rob,

                    No no, when I said "I got the 10oz of vodka and the rest..." it's because I booted Openwrt! At the serial console port there is a funny pleasant message :"10 oz of vodka, 10 oz Triple sec 10 oz of lime juice ...", so my small joke was to show you I finally booted OpenWrt...
                    And I'd a STATIC IP configuring because I think there is something strange into the configuration after the flashing, but finally I just found how to turnaround the problem by configuring by hand the config DHCP file to disable it. And after I discovered that ther is a nice GUI interface also permitting to configure everything even more easily!

                    Now I need to add my memory and I don't know how to do. I see Redboot at the boot but I don't see APEX. Should I see it or not?

                    I assume you're running OpenWrt, am I right?

                    And good night if it's time for you also... Here I'll continue to play with the slug...
                    pf

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 4 2:47 PM
                      If you built openwrt yourself, it will have apex. I don't remember whether the latest binary release uses it or not.
                      Once you have apex, you can change it's startup command (using the apex-env package or your seriall console) to memscan for 64MB max.
                      -- Rod

                      >No no, when I said "I got the 10oz of vodka and the rest..." it's because I booted Openwrt! At the serial console port there is a funny pleasant message :"10 oz of vodka, 10 oz Triple sec 10 oz of lime juice ...", so my small joke was to show you I finally booted OpenWrt...
                      >And I'd a STATIC IP configuring because I think there is something strange into the configuration after the flashing, but finally I just found how to turnaround the problem by configuring by hand the config DHCP file to disable it. And after I discovered that ther is a nice GUI interface also permitting to configure everything even more easily!
                      >
                      >Now I need to add my memory and I don't know how to do. I see Redboot at the boot but I don't see APEX. Should I see it or not?
                      >
                      >I assume you're running OpenWrt, am I right?
                      >
                      >And good night if it's time for you also... Here I'll continue to play with the slug...
                      >pf
                      >

                      > ----- Original Message ----- From: Rob Lockhart To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 10:58 PM Subject: Re: [nslu2-linux] Hello and a small question concerning Unslung
                      >

                      >Hi, Pierre. My apologies, I don't use unslug, I've only used debian slug mostly. For these kinds of questions, you might have more luck on the nslu2-general group, or perhaps searching the archives? I looked on the wiki http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage but I couldn't find anything relevant to dhcp. Once I saw the effort required to get unslung working (for me), I went the debian approach. But it does have its drawbacks, especially if the hard drive dies and you have to reinstall the OS (but not userspace).
                      >
                      >Good luck,
                      > -Rob
                      >
                      > On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Pierre-Fran�ois (f5bqp_pfm) pfmonet@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >Hi Rob,
                      >
                      >I got the 10 oz of vodka and the rest... lol...
                      >My concern now is I cannot get out from the DHCP as far I see my fixed address when I type "uci show network.lan" .
                      >What should I modify into the /etc/config/dhcp ? Delete the line "option ignore 1" into config dhcp ? or put a 0 instead of 1 ?
                      >It's unclear, I thought that 1 was setting up the "ignore dhcp"!
                      >

                      >__________ Information NOD32 3072 (20080503) __________
                      >
                      >Ce message a ete verifie par NOD32 Antivirus System.
                      >http://www.nod32.com

                    • Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 4 3:28 PM
                        Hi Rod,

                        I installed Openwrt, openwrt-kamikaze-nslu2.bin (Kernel Linux 2.6.21.6)
                        and when I boot with a ctrlC after the + I go into Redboot, I don't see APEX
                        as you said it's included.
                        Probably I miss something?

                        pf

                        >Finally I could make my Slug running properly with Unslug and the packages
                        >Xinetd + Samba2 + Fuppes as I was expecting (Xinetd to have permanently
                        >TELNET loaded, it's more simple to use than Tssh on a pure private
                        >network).
                        >
                        >Now next step I want to take advantage of the mem upgrade I already made up
                        >to 256MB (4 x 512mbit chips) and then running the same packages plus some
                        >others.
                        >I anticipate to run OpenWrt to try to run with no hard disks in a later
                        >stage (except the NAS where are stored the video files). (probably I'll
                        >have
                        >to upgrade to ObeseSlug if 8MB flash isn't sufficient).
                        >
                        >Where can I find an url on how to load APEX on top of Redboot before I
                        >switch to OpenWrt, I don't want to mix the problems... One at a time...
                        >I've tried to find something, I found many sites talking APEX but not one
                        >really good ( or unclear for me...) on how to keep Redboot below APEX. Can
                        >you help?
                        >
                        >For info I wasn't able to mount under Unslung the NAS file system with the
                        >command "mount -t smbfs .... ", it doesn't work with Unslung as it should,
                        >don't know why but nevermind I found a solution: I was forced to use the
                        >direct command "/usr/bin/smbmount //ip_nas/nas_filesystem_to_mount
                        >/mnt/...").
                        >This was the cause of my problem explained earlier.
                        >

                        >Many thanks.
                        >pf

                      • jean jacques goesens
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 4 4:56 PM
                          Hi Pierre François,

                          Happy to read you!

                          If you look at the boot log, you must see something like this :

                          *RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROMRAM]
                          Red Hat certified release, version 1.92 - built 15:16:07, Feb 3 2004

                          Platform: IXDP425 Development Platform (XScale)
                          Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, Red Hat, Inc.

                          RAM: 0x00000000-0x02000000, 0x000723a0-0x01ff3000 available
                          FLASH: 0x50000000 - 0x50800000, 64 blocks of 0x00020000 bytes each.
                          == Executing boot script in 2.000 seconds - enter ^C to abort
                          RedBoot> boot;exec 0x01d00000
                          have eRcOmM
                          copy kernel code from flash to RAM
                          copy ramdisk file from flash to RAM
                          run kernel
                          Using base address 0x01d00000 and length 0x0000bc00
                          Ans

                          APEX Boot Loader 1.5.11 -- Copyright (c) 2004,2005,2006,2007 Marc Singer
                          compiled for Debian NSLU2

                          APEX comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. It is free software and
                          you are welcome to redistribute it under certain circumstances.
                          For details, refer to the file COPYING in the program source.

                          apex => mem:0x00200000+0xbc00 (48128 bytes)
                          env => nor:0x7c000+15k (no-write)

                          Use the command 'help help' to get started.

                          # sdram-init
                          1 bank of 2 512Mib chips
                          # memscan -u 0+256m
                          0x0 0x08000000 (128 MiB)
                          # copy -s $kernelsrc $bootaddr
                          # copy -s fis://kernel 0x00008000
                          1441760 bytes transferred
                          # copy -s $ramdisksrc $ramdiskaddr
                          # copy -s fis://ramdisk 0x01000000
                          6291440 bytes transferred
                          # wait 10 Type ^C key to cancel autoboot.
                          Type ^C key to cancel autoboot.
                          # boot
                          ATAG_HEADER
                          ATAG_MEM: start 0x00000000 size 0x08000000
                          ATAG_CMDLINE: (55 bytes) 'console=ttyS0,115200 rtc-x1205.probe=0,0x6f noirqdebu'
                          ATAG_INITRD2: start 0x01000000 size 0x00400000
                          ATAG_END
                          Booting kernel at 0x00008000... *

                          if you type CTRL-C at boot you interrupt Redboot, so you cannot see the
                          next steps..

                          you must wait for getting into Apex to type CTRL-C and interrupt APEX.

                          the try to type memscan -u 0+512m, it should answer :

                          ** 0x0 0x08000000 (128 MiB)
                          **or**
                          **** 0x0 0x10000000 (256 MiB) **
                          or**
                          **** 0x0 0x20000000 (512 MiB) **

                          The memory may be limited by two things:

                          1) It depends if APEX was compiled with 2 banks support or not, if compiled for only one bank,
                          the second (piggy pack) will be ignored.
                          2) It depends also of the memscan command in the environment, it limits the memory
                          scan so extra memory is not detected.

                          If it works, you can type the rest of the sequence manually to boot linux
                          and check if you get the whole intended memory.
                          Here is the link wich was the most useful for me:
                          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/CompileApex
                          It is (relatively) simple to compile apex on the target machine and to copy it
                          directly into mtd2.
                          When it works, you can create a comple flash image with your version(s)
                          to keep it ready for recover a machine in case of trouble or to flash another machine.

                          I wrote a small batch in order to create the image.bin file, i need to find it on my slug:

                          *#! /bin/sh
                          echo recuperation des blocks

                          dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=block0.bin
                          dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 of=block1.bin
                          dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 of=block2.bin
                          dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 of=block3.bin
                          dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 of=block4.bin
                          dd if=/dev/mtdblock5 of=block5.bin

                          echo creation de l image

                          cat block0.bin block1.bin block2.bin block3.bin block4.bin block5.bin > image.bin

                          *image.bin contains the current flash image, keep it preciousely!

                          Personally, i created as this two images, one with the 64M memory,
                          another with 256M-2 banks limitation.

                          JJ

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 5 2:07 AM
                            jean jacques goesens wrote:
                            > The memory may be limited by two things:
                            >
                            > 1) It depends if APEX was compiled with 2 banks support or not, if compiled for only one bank,
                            > the second (piggy pack) will be ignored.

                            I believe that 1.5.13 can detect both cases.

                            > 2) It depends also of the memscan command in the environment, it limits the memory
                            > scan so extra memory is not detected.

                            Yes, this is the way you can intentionally limit it to 64MB.

                            > If it works, you can type the rest of the sequence manually to boot linux
                            > and check if you get the whole intended memory.

                            Then use use the setenv command on the apex console command line to
                            change that command. No need to reflash.

                            > I wrote a small batch in order to create the image.bin file, i need to find it on my slug:
                            >
                            > *#! /bin/sh
                            > echo recuperation des blocks
                            >
                            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=block0.bin
                            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 of=block1.bin
                            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 of=block2.bin
                            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 of=block3.bin
                            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 of=block4.bin
                            > dd if=/dev/mtdblock5 of=block5.bin
                            >
                            > echo creation de l image
                            >
                            > cat block0.bin block1.bin block2.bin block3.bin block4.bin block5.bin > image.bin

                            You can simplify this to:

                            cat /dev/mtdblock* > image.bin

                            > Personally, i created as this two images, one with the 64M memory,
                            > another with 256M-2 banks limitation.

                            There is also an apex-env command which allows you to make this change
                            from the linux userland command line. No need to reflash, just edit the
                            apex environment and reboot.