Re: slugosbe-4.8 "upgrade" - fallen at the first hurdle

  • Dave Hooper
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2008
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Chris Moore <moore@...> wrote:

      > I once used Ethereal (now Wireshark) in promiscuous mode to find
      the IP
      > address of a recalcitrant slug that I bought off eBay.
      > (The seller said it was in 192.168.1.x but in fact it was in
      10.0.0.x.)

      > > If you had the device turnup'd to external storage, then just
      reflash
      > > the device with 4.8, boot it, mount the external disk and try
      fixing it
      > > from there (perhaps using chroot to get into the rootfs on the
      disk).

      Thanks for the tips - no dice with etheral (nslu2 being quiet as a
      mouse unfortunately), but through a combination of redboot, resetting
      sysconf area, reflashing to stock linksys firmware, resetting network
      settings, reinstall 3.10 and turnup init, I got what I wanted

      chroot was a great tip . Using that I could reproduce the problem of
      the missing gcc lib but in a safe a revertable way. In the end I
      just copied libgcc_s.so.1 from the 3.10 (flash) root to the on-disk
      root partition, and I'm all go.

      > >> Also, any thoughts on what the appropriate recovery procedure
      should
      > >> be, and/or whether this problem with required gcc libs
      disappearing
      > >> during the 3.10->4.8 upgrade procedure is well known or easy to
      > >> workaround or fix?
      > >
      > > It's not well known, although the upgrade instructions are not
      widely
      > > exercised either.

      Is the recommend approach for trying the 4.8 beta to do a full clean
      install?