Optware slimserver 6.5.4: result hopeful yet unsuccessful

  • plbt5
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 9:07 AM
      I´ve installed slimserver 6.5.4 using the optware package (ipkg
      install slimserver). The result was hopefull, yet not completely
      succesful:

      * package installs, asks for a slimserver home directory
      * Issued successfully command /opt/bin/mysqladmin -u root password
      'new-password'
      * Failed to sucessfully issue /opt/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h
      the_name_of_my_slug password 'new-password'. Error message:
      /opt/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at the_name_of_my_slug failed
      error: 'lost connection to MySQL server during query'
      * I didn't create a new user for slimserver to act upon (that's
      already been taken care of during package installation; verified
      user 'slimserver' exists in /etc/passwd).

      Result:

      * slimserver runs successfully: Soft Squeezebox can connect, home
      page (my-slug-url:9000) is accessible.
      * I've got multiple MySQL instances running. As suggested in
      SlimServerOld I removed S70mysqld & K70msqld from init.d which both
      linked to ../../share/mysql/mysql.se -- This didn't seem to change
      anything
      * server is unable to scan the music directory (chmod -R 777 didn't
      do the trick), although it can play individual directories if you
      select one via the (soft) Squeezebox.

      Slimserver's log tells me some interesting details, a.o. the
      famous:
      Can't locate auto/Compress/Zlib/autosplit.ix in @INC
      As well as another one:
      ERROR: Scanner: Failed to update isScanning: [Transactions not
      supported by database at /opt/share/slimserver/CPAN/DBI.pm line
      1657.]

      Please find a full description of this issue on the wiki:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

      Any suggestions? I'm completely stuck by now.

      Thanks in advance
      Paul
    • Graham White
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18 1:20 PM
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "plbt5" <brandt.dominicus@...> wrote:

        > I´ve installed slimserver 6.5.4 using the optware package (ipkg
        > install slimserver). The result was hopefull, yet not completely
        > succesful:
        >
        > * package installs, asks for a slimserver home directory
        > * Issued successfully command /opt/bin/mysqladmin -u root password
        > 'new-password'
        > * Failed to sucessfully issue /opt/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h
        > the_name_of_my_slug password 'new-password'. Error message:
        > /opt/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at the_name_of_my_slug failed
        > error: 'lost connection to MySQL server during query'
        > * I didn't create a new user for slimserver to act upon (that's
        > already been taken care of during package installation; verified
        > user 'slimserver' exists in /etc/passwd).
        >
        > Result:
        >
        > * slimserver runs successfully: Soft Squeezebox can connect, home
        > page (my-slug-url:9000) is accessible.
        > * I've got multiple MySQL instances running. As suggested in
        > SlimServerOld I removed S70mysqld & K70msqld from init.d which both
        > linked to ../../share/mysql/mysql.se -- This didn't seem to change
        > anything
        > * server is unable to scan the music directory (chmod -R 777 didn't
        > do the trick), although it can play individual directories if you
        > select one via the (soft) Squeezebox.
        >
        > Slimserver's log tells me some interesting details, a.o. the
        > famous:
        > Can't locate auto/Compress/Zlib/autosplit.ix in @INC
        > As well as another one:
        > ERROR: Scanner: Failed to update isScanning: [Transactions not
        > supported by database at /opt/share/slimserver/CPAN/DBI.pm line
        > 1657.]
        >
        > Please find a full description of this issue on the wiki:
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer
        >
        > Any suggestions? I'm completely stuck by now.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > Paul

        I'm seeing almost exactly the same behavior. The scanner simply
        doesn't work at the moment and I've spent a fair bit of time trying to
        get it going now. Currently, I'm resorting to cross-compiling
        different versions of MySQL in the hope an older one works (as
        indicated on the wiki page).

        Has anybody solved this problem yet?

        I'm unable to use the ipkg slimserver, or any of the versions
        downloaded from slim devices, version 7 onwards fail with various
        different error messages.

        Graham