Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: slugosbe-4.8 "upgrade" - fallen at the first hurdle

  • Chris Moore
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2008
      I once used Ethereal (now Wireshark) in promiscuous mode to find the IP
      address of a recalcitrant slug that I bought off eBay.
      (The seller said it was in 192.168.1.x but in fact it was in 10.0.0.x.)

      I don't remember the exact details but I captured everything with just
      my PC and the slug on the network and soon found some low level packets
      coming from the slug's MAC address with its IP address inside.

      Otherwise I seem to remember that a short reset (about 2 seconds) sets
      the IP address back to 192.168.1.77 but maybe I am mistaken.

      Cheers,
      Chris

      Rod Whitby a écrit :
      > Dave Hooper wrote:
      >
      >> But the fact that it doesn't respond to pings on the ip address won't
      >> help ssh either (or will it?)
      >> Is there a straightforward way to determine what ip address it has?
      >>

      > Unfortunately, without a serial console, no. That's one reason why I
      > leave all my console-less devices on DHCP - then I can just ask the DHCP
      > server.
      >

      >> Also, any thoughts on what the appropriate recovery procedure should
      >> be, and/or whether this problem with required gcc libs disappearing
      >> during the 3.10->4.8 upgrade procedure is well known or easy to
      >> workaround or fix?
      >>

      > It's not well known, although the upgrade instructions are not widely
      > exercised either.
      >
      > If you had the device turnup'd to external storage, then just reflash
      > the device with 4.8, boot it, mount the external disk and try fixing it
      > from there (perhaps using chroot to get into the rootfs on the disk).
      >
      > If you were making changes to the internal flash, then there is no easy
      > way to recover without blowing away those changes. You should always
      > back up your internal flash (and external disk for that matter) before
      > attempting any upgrade.
      >
      > -- Rod

    • Dave Hooper
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Chris Moore <moore@...> wrote:

        > I once used Ethereal (now Wireshark) in promiscuous mode to find
        the IP
        > address of a recalcitrant slug that I bought off eBay.
        > (The seller said it was in 192.168.1.x but in fact it was in
        10.0.0.x.)

        > > If you had the device turnup'd to external storage, then just
        reflash
        > > the device with 4.8, boot it, mount the external disk and try
        fixing it
        > > from there (perhaps using chroot to get into the rootfs on the
        disk).

        Thanks for the tips - no dice with etheral (nslu2 being quiet as a
        mouse unfortunately), but through a combination of redboot, resetting
        sysconf area, reflashing to stock linksys firmware, resetting network
        settings, reinstall 3.10 and turnup init, I got what I wanted

        chroot was a great tip . Using that I could reproduce the problem of
        the missing gcc lib but in a safe a revertable way. In the end I
        just copied libgcc_s.so.1 from the 3.10 (flash) root to the on-disk
        root partition, and I'm all go.

        > >> Also, any thoughts on what the appropriate recovery procedure
        should
        > >> be, and/or whether this problem with required gcc libs
        disappearing
        > >> during the 3.10->4.8 upgrade procedure is well known or easy to
        > >> workaround or fix?
        > >
        > > It's not well known, although the upgrade instructions are not
        widely
        > > exercised either.

        Is the recommend approach for trying the 4.8 beta to do a full clean
        install?