slugosbe-4.8 "upgrade" - fallen at the first hurdle

  • Dave Hooper
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2008
      Hi, I was running 3.10 and thought I would try out the upgrade to 4.8

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/Upgrade

      1. Remove optware feeds: I renamed /etc/ipkg/optware.conf to
      /etc/ipkg/optware.conf.dont
      2. /tmp is on my hdd so this should be ok
      3. ipkg update, ok
      4. ipkg upgrade, "nothing to do"
      5. edited cross-feed.conf and native-feed.conf to point to 4.8 feeds
      6. ipkg update
      7. ipkg upgrade diffutils

      Here's where the problem kicked in. ipkg upgrade diffutils has
      obviously tried to do something, probably unsuccessfully, as it failed
      with an error about libgcc_s.so.1 "cannot open shared object file"

      Fine, I thought, I'll just reboot and try again later. Unfortunately
      "reboot" at the shell fails with the same error. ipkg fails at the
      shell with the same error. even "ls" fails at the shell with the same
      error.

      After power cycling my nslu2, it no longer boots from hdd - hangs
      with flashing amber light.

      It *can* boot without the hdd attached but I cannot telnet after doing
      so - no idea what ip address it thinks its using but I cannot ping it
      on the static ip it's had for the last three years.

      So I'm in a bit of a pickle. Any ideas..?
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2008
        Dave Hooper wrote:
        > Hi, I was running 3.10 and thought I would try out the upgrade to 4.8
        > It *can* boot without the hdd attached but I cannot telnet after doing
        > so - no idea what ip address it thinks its using but I cannot ping it
        > on the static ip it's had for the last three years.

        SlugOS doesn't expose telnet by default. Use ssh.

        -- Rod
      • Dave Hooper
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
          > SlugOS doesn't expose telnet by default. Use ssh.
          >
          > -- Rod

          Sorry, bad choice of words. I'd meant to say putty (ssh). Thanks.
          But the fact that it doesn't respond to pings on the ip address won't
          help ssh either (or will it?)
          Is there a straightforward way to determine what ip address it has?

          Also, any thoughts on what the appropriate recovery procedure should
          be, and/or whether this problem with required gcc libs disappearing
          during the 3.10->4.8 upgrade procedure is well known or easy to
          workaround or fix?
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
            Dave Hooper wrote:
            > But the fact that it doesn't respond to pings on the ip address won't
            > help ssh either (or will it?)
            > Is there a straightforward way to determine what ip address it has?

            Unfortunately, without a serial console, no. That's one reason why I
            leave all my console-less devices on DHCP - then I can just ask the DHCP
            server.

            > Also, any thoughts on what the appropriate recovery procedure should
            > be, and/or whether this problem with required gcc libs disappearing
            > during the 3.10->4.8 upgrade procedure is well known or easy to
            > workaround or fix?

            It's not well known, although the upgrade instructions are not widely
            exercised either.

            If you had the device turnup'd to external storage, then just reflash
            the device with 4.8, boot it, mount the external disk and try fixing it
            from there (perhaps using chroot to get into the rootfs on the disk).

            If you were making changes to the internal flash, then there is no easy
            way to recover without blowing away those changes. You should always
            back up your internal flash (and external disk for that matter) before
            attempting any upgrade.

            -- Rod
          • sdm485
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 30, 2008
              Perhaps nmap can be used to help find the thing. I seem to recall using it to do just that a
              few years ago. Also, in the early days, slugs might default back to 192.168.1.77.
              Steve

              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Hooper" <dave@...> wrote:

              > Hi, I was running 3.10 and thought I would try out the upgrade to 4.8
              >
              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/Upgrade
              >
              > 1. Remove optware feeds: I renamed /etc/ipkg/optware.conf to
              > /etc/ipkg/optware.conf.dont
              > 2. /tmp is on my hdd so this should be ok
              > 3. ipkg update, ok
              > 4. ipkg upgrade, "nothing to do"
              > 5. edited cross-feed.conf and native-feed.conf to point to 4.8 feeds
              > 6. ipkg update
              > 7. ipkg upgrade diffutils
              >
              > Here's where the problem kicked in. ipkg upgrade diffutils has
              > obviously tried to do something, probably unsuccessfully, as it failed
              > with an error about libgcc_s.so.1 "cannot open shared object file"
              >
              > Fine, I thought, I'll just reboot and try again later. Unfortunately
              > "reboot" at the shell fails with the same error. ipkg fails at the
              > shell with the same error. even "ls" fails at the shell with the same
              > error.
              >
              > After power cycling my nslu2, it no longer boots from hdd - hangs
              > with flashing amber light.
              >
              > It *can* boot without the hdd attached but I cannot telnet after doing
              > so - no idea what ip address it thinks its using but I cannot ping it
              > on the static ip it's had for the last three years.
              >
              > So I'm in a bit of a pickle. Any ideas..?

            • Chris Moore
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2008
                I once used Ethereal (now Wireshark) in promiscuous mode to find the IP
                address of a recalcitrant slug that I bought off eBay.
                (The seller said it was in 192.168.1.x but in fact it was in 10.0.0.x.)

                I don't remember the exact details but I captured everything with just
                my PC and the slug on the network and soon found some low level packets
                coming from the slug's MAC address with its IP address inside.

                Otherwise I seem to remember that a short reset (about 2 seconds) sets
                the IP address back to 192.168.1.77 but maybe I am mistaken.

                Cheers,
                Chris

                Rod Whitby a écrit :
                > Dave Hooper wrote:
                >
                >> But the fact that it doesn't respond to pings on the ip address won't
                >> help ssh either (or will it?)
                >> Is there a straightforward way to determine what ip address it has?
                >>

                > Unfortunately, without a serial console, no. That's one reason why I
                > leave all my console-less devices on DHCP - then I can just ask the DHCP
                > server.
                >

                >> Also, any thoughts on what the appropriate recovery procedure should
                >> be, and/or whether this problem with required gcc libs disappearing
                >> during the 3.10->4.8 upgrade procedure is well known or easy to
                >> workaround or fix?
                >>

                > It's not well known, although the upgrade instructions are not widely
                > exercised either.
                >
                > If you had the device turnup'd to external storage, then just reflash
                > the device with 4.8, boot it, mount the external disk and try fixing it
                > from there (perhaps using chroot to get into the rootfs on the disk).
                >
                > If you were making changes to the internal flash, then there is no easy
                > way to recover without blowing away those changes. You should always
                > back up your internal flash (and external disk for that matter) before
                > attempting any upgrade.
                >
                > -- Rod

              • rosbif31450
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2008

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2008
                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Chris Moore <moore@...> wrote:

                    > I once used Ethereal (now Wireshark) in promiscuous mode to find
                    the IP
                    > address of a recalcitrant slug that I bought off eBay.
                    > (The seller said it was in 192.168.1.x but in fact it was in
                    10.0.0.x.)

                    > > If you had the device turnup'd to external storage, then just
                    reflash
                    > > the device with 4.8, boot it, mount the external disk and try
                    fixing it
                    > > from there (perhaps using chroot to get into the rootfs on the
                    disk).

                    Thanks for the tips - no dice with etheral (nslu2 being quiet as a
                    mouse unfortunately), but through a combination of redboot, resetting
                    sysconf area, reflashing to stock linksys firmware, resetting network
                    settings, reinstall 3.10 and turnup init, I got what I wanted

                    chroot was a great tip . Using that I could reproduce the problem of
                    the missing gcc lib but in a safe a revertable way. In the end I
                    just copied libgcc_s.so.1 from the 3.10 (flash) root to the on-disk
                    root partition, and I'm all go.

                    > >> Also, any thoughts on what the appropriate recovery procedure
                    should
                    > >> be, and/or whether this problem with required gcc libs
                    disappearing
                    > >> during the 3.10->4.8 upgrade procedure is well known or easy to
                    > >> workaround or fix?
                    > >
                    > > It's not well known, although the upgrade instructions are not
                    widely
                    > > exercised either.

                    Is the recommend approach for trying the 4.8 beta to do a full clean
                    install?