Bluez Passkey Agent

  • jaaploes
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 24, 2008
      Hello,

      I need the BT because I intend to run asterisk 1.6 channel mobile. I'm
      running into a problem mentioned a couple of times before. But I did
      not find the solution yet.
      I need to pair my phone. No matter if I initiate the pairing from the
      phone or from the NSLU2 it reports that the passkey agent is not
      found. I understand that they passkey agent is not available on the
      bluez binary installation.
      Did anyone managed to pair BT devices. Looking forward to response.

      Jaap Scheffer
    • Phil Endecott
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 25, 2008
        Japp Scheffer wrote:
        > I need the BT because I intend to run asterisk 1.6 channel mobile. I'm
        > running into a problem mentioned a couple of times before. But I did
        > not find the solution yet.
        > I need to pair my phone. No matter if I initiate the pairing from the
        > phone or from the NSLU2 it reports that the passkey agent is not
        > found. I understand that they passkey agent is not available on the
        > bluez binary installation.
        > Did anyone managed to pair BT devices. Looking forward to response.

        Hi Japp,

        I knew nothing about Bluetooth until about 3 days ago when I tried to
        get a bluetooth keyboard working with my Debian PC. (Are you running
        Debian on your NSLU2?) I know of two passkey agents; one is a GUI
        thing for Gnome, which clearly isn't appropriate for the NSLU2, and the
        other is in /usr/share/doc/bluez-utils/examples/. This latter one is
        probably what you want, but it's only shipped in source form for some
        reason. I've suggested in a Debian bug report that they include the
        binary, but they don't want to for some reason. It's easy to compile
        though (natively anyway), using the Makefile in that directory, once
        you have the appropriate dbus dev package installed.

        Cheers, Phil.
      • jaaploes
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 25, 2008
          Phil,

          Thanks for your response
          I'm running optware on NSLU2. That means I use the bluez-utile 3.17-
          1. It's clear that for some reason the passkey-agent is not part of
          the binary. So I guess I have to compile it myself. I downloaded the
          source package and I can see it contains a passkey agent source.
          Compiling from source is a whole new territory to me. I will need a
          compiler, how do I use the makefile, and probably more questions to
          come.
          Is there any guidance on the web on compiling source for NSLU2 (for
          optware) that you know of.

          Jaap Scheffer

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Endecott"

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2008
            jaaploes wrote:
            > I'm running optware on NSLU2. That means I use the bluez-utile 3.17-
            > 1. It's clear that for some reason the passkey-agent is not part of
            > the binary. So I guess I have to compile it myself. I downloaded the
            > source package and I can see it contains a passkey agent source.

            Have you tried using the 'pin' directive in the hcid.conf file? I use
            that for incoming connections from a Treo650 accessing the NSLU2 via
            bluetooth - dunno whether it works for the NSLU2 initiating the
            connection or not.

            > Compiling from source is a whole new territory to me. I will need a
            > compiler, how do I use the makefile, and probably more questions to
            > come.
            > Is there any guidance on the web on compiling source for NSLU2 (for
            > optware) that you know of.

            We cross-compile everything for Optware. There is an
            AddAPackageToOptware page on the wiki which says how to do it.

            -- Rod
          • jaaploes
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2008
              Hello,

              An update on using Bluetooth. I need Bluetooth on optware NSLU2. I
              could not pair devices. However I installed the bluez and not the
              bluez2 library and utilities. It turns our that the bluez2 does not
              require the pass key agent. The pin is used from a file on the
              NSLU2. Bluez2 is pairing, however you can only initiate the pairing
              from an external device.

              So what I installed:
              bluez meaning: (bluez2-libs 2.25-1, bluez2 utils 2.25-4, kernel-
              module-
              bluez (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21), bluez-hcidump (1.40-1), dbus (1.1.1-2),
              kernel-module-bnep (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21), kernel-module-hci-usb
              (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21), kernel-module-l2cap (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21),
              kernel-module-rfcomm (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21))

              I still have some problems with rfcomm I will launch the question in
              a separate e-mail.

              Jaap Scheffer

              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2008
                jaaploes wrote:
                > An update on using Bluetooth. I need Bluetooth on optware NSLU2. I
                > could not pair devices. However I installed the bluez and not the
                > bluez2 library and utilities. It turns our that the bluez2 does not
                > require the pass key agent. The pin is used from a file on the
                > NSLU2. Bluez2 is pairing, however you can only initiate the pairing
                > from an external device.
                >
                > So what I installed:
                > bluez meaning: (bluez2-libs 2.25-1, bluez2 utils 2.25-4, kernel-
                > module-
                > bluez (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21), bluez-hcidump (1.40-1), dbus (1.1.1-2),
                > kernel-module-bnep (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21), kernel-module-hci-usb
                > (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21), kernel-module-l2cap (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21),
                > kernel-module-rfcomm (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21))

                Be aware that bluez2-utils is actually *older* than bluez-utils. The
                '2' refers to version 2.x of bluez - bluez is now up to version 3.x, but
                I have not been able to get any version 3.x of bluez to successfully
                connect with a Treo650 using dund, hence I added the older bluez2-utils
                package.

                -- Rod
              • jaaploes
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2008

                  > jaaploes wrote:
                  > > An update on using Bluetooth. I need Bluetooth on optware NSLU2.
                  > > could not pair devices. However I installed the bluez and not
                  the
                  > > bluez2 library and utilities. It turns our that the bluez2 does
                  not
                  > > require the pass key agent. The pin is used from a file on the
                  > > NSLU2. Bluez2 is pairing, however you can only initiate the
                  pairing
                  > > from an external device.
                  > >
                  > > So what I installed:
                  > > bluez meaning: (bluez2-libs 2.25-1, bluez2 utils 2.25-4, kernel-
                  > > module-
                  > > bluez (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21), bluez-hcidump (1.40-1), dbus (1.1.1-
                  2),
                  > > kernel-module-bnep (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21), kernel-module-hci-usb
                  > > (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21), kernel-module-l2cap (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21),
                  > > kernel-module-rfcomm (2.4.22.l2.3r63-r21))
                  >
                  > Be aware that bluez2-utils is actually *older* than bluez-utils.
                  The
                  > '2' refers to version 2.x of bluez - bluez is now up to version
                  3.x, but
                  > I have not been able to get any version 3.x of bluez to
                  successfully
                  > connect with a Treo650 using dund, hence I added the older bluez2-
                  utils
                  > package.
                  >
                  > -- Rod

                  Rod,

                  Did you also install rfcomm? I need this because of asterisk 1.6. I
                  could not install. See my other e-mail

                  Thanks,
                  Jaap
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2008
                    I am running Optware bluez2-utils on SlugOS/BE instead of Unslung - so I don't encounter the problem you are seeing.
                    -- Rod