Is installing mplayer on Unslung possible?

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21 8:34 AM
      Hi there,

      Is it possible to install mplayer on the NSLU2 (unslung)?

      I've downloaded the mplayer files and tried to compile it myself but
      it keeps coming up with an error message about my gcc version not
      being compatible.

      It does a check for all sorts of versions of gcc including 3.4 but it
      says that it can't find it (I've got gcc 3.4.4 installed).

      If I need to downgrade my version of gcc, how can I go about doing that?

      Any help is greatly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23 2:37 AM
        Hi again,

        As a follow up, I've managed to run configure by forcing it to use the
        gcc version in /opt/bin/gcc. It configures okay but when I go to
        /opt/bin/make, it does not compile.

        I'm really starting to think that it isn't possible as I can't find
        anywhere on the net of someone successfully installing mplayer on
        unslung 6.8 or 6.10.

        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <macray76@...> wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > Is it possible to install mplayer on the NSLU2 (unslung)?
        >
        > I've downloaded the mplayer files and tried to compile it myself but
        > it keeps coming up with an error message about my gcc version not
        > being compatible.
        >
        > It does a check for all sorts of versions of gcc including 3.4 but it
        > says that it can't find it (I've got gcc 3.4.4 installed).
        >
        > If I need to downgrade my version of gcc, how can I go about doing that?
        >
        > Any help is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2008
          On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 15:34 +0000, Mark wrote:

          > Is it possible to install mplayer on the NSLU2 (unslung)?

          Why would you like to run mplayer on unslung?

          It doesn't have an output device and it's to slow for
          most things mplayer can do.

          --
          Marcel Nijenhof
          Optware package developer
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2008

            On May 1, 2008, at 10:56 AM, Marcel Nijenhof wrote:

            On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 15:34 +0000, Mark wrote:

            > Is it possible to install mplayer on the NSLU2 (unslung)?

            Why would you like to run mplayer on unslung?

            It doesn't have an output device and it's to slow for
            most things mplayer can do.

            It also has no floating point unit. I have found some integer-based mp3 players, but trying to do video without the FPU is probably futile.

            beww

          • Thomas Reitmayr
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2008
              unfortunately I cannot tell you how to compile mplayer on unslung, too, but it works like a charm for slugos/be. As it uses libmad for decoding mp3s there is no performance problem at all. I can even play the audio track of mpeg files (recorded by the slug from DVB-T), while the video stream is directed to the null video driver - this takes around 33% CPU.
              Ogg files might be a bit at the edge (as stated in the wiki, too, I guess), and of course decoding video is far beyond the slug's capabilities, as Brian stated.
              So for audio performance should not be an issue.
              Regards,
              -Thomas

              ----- Urspr√ľngliche Mail ----
              On May 1, 2008, at 10:56 AM, Marcel Nijenhof wrote:

              On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 15:34 +0000, Mark wrote:

              > Is it possible to install mplayer on the NSLU2 (unslung)?

              Why would you like to run mplayer on unslung?

              It doesn't have an output device and it's to slow for
              most things mplayer can do.

              It also has no floating point unit. I have found some integer-based mp3 players, but trying to do video without the FPU is probably futile.

              beww

              Lesen Sie Ihre E-Mails jetzt einfach von unterwegs..