Debian: RTC chip is unavailable after installing I2C software

  • nsluv2
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13 6:06 PM
      I was try to experiment with I2C bus based on
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddATextDisplayOnI2CWithLCDproc
      tutorial.

      Unfortunally I was found so installing LM-tools or I2C-tools makes
      x1205 chip out of controll. Simply there is no device in /dev/rtc
      path. In effect system gets current time as after complette reset.
    • Martin Michlmayr
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 16 7:59 AM
        * nsluv2 <miednica@...> [2008-04-14 01:06]:
        > I was try to experiment with I2C bus based on
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddATextDisplayOnI2CWithLCDproc
        > tutorial.
        >
        > Unfortunally I was found so installing LM-tools or I2C-tools makes
        > x1205 chip out of controll. Simply there is no device in /dev/rtc
        > path. In effect system gets current time as after complette reset.

        What about /dev/rtc0?

        --
        Martin Michlmayr
        http://www.cyrius.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18 5:08 PM
          I was uninstalled I2C-tools now. In past, thru the boot console I saw
          text like "cannot acces to rtc in any known way". Also the system
          clock was reset. After setting date command it was not possible to save
          hwclock --utc --systohc

          Looks like software to scan I2C bus was hanging an RTC communication

          > What about /dev/rtc0?

        • nsluv2
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2008
            Again, I will try to install LCDproc with HD44780 on I2C bus.

            "FATAL: Module rtc_dev not found.
            Setting the system clock..
            Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
            Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access
            method."

            > What about /dev/rtc0?

            Theres no rtc* in /dev