Re: slug & uNSLUng 6.10 & HDD & NTFS & slow

  • rvilajosana
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2008
      Thanks for your answer, Marceln.

      SOMETIMES, NOT ALWAYS, THINGS ARE EASIER THAN IT SEEMS....

      I get what I was looking for. My system is working perfectly, now,
      with a nice speed transfer, up to 3 Mb (or even 5mB) whith big
      files , and 170 Kb when files are small and there are hubdreds of
      them.

      The trick? Just incredible (for me!). I formatted HDD to ext3, from
      uNSLUng web interface. Then I plugged the HD in the PC under Windows
      XP and it said "NO FORMATTED", but here is the point. When plugged to
      NSLU2 and exploring from the PC,(I mapped the HD), Windows recognizes
      it as if it were NTFS. And it works a treat!

      I could'nt find this info in the net, so if you are interested in
      using NSLU from Windows XP, NO PROBLEM AT ALL!

      I do supose it is uNSLUng 6.10 which (I think) has a formats conversor
      inside.... Does it makes sense?

      rvilajosana

      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 17:27 +0000, rvilajosana wrote:
      >
      > > The problem (because there is a problem) is when back-up involves
      many
      > > (samll) files the transfer rate is very slow.. say from 30 to 200
      > > Kb/s.
      >
      > Is the disk mounted "async". In that case everything has to
      > be written to disk immediate. This has a huge performance
      > penalty.
      >
      > With a small test i am able to create 50 files a second
      > of a few bytes. You can't create more then 50 files in
      > a setup like this. Which gives me a transfer rate of
      > 25 Kb/s (minimum block size is 512 b).
      >
      > See also:
      > http://www.nslu2-
      linux.org/wiki/Unslung/SolvePerformanceProblems