Re: Unslung 6.8 stops seeing 2nd drive attached to USB hub

  • bullfrog528
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2008
      Are the disks bus powered i.e. are they powered from the usb ports?
      If so I suspect your nslu2 power supply is starting to die.

      see -http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

      Jeremy (Bullfrog)

      --- In nslu2 linux@yahoogroups.com, "nathankirkham.rm"
      <nathankirkham@...> wrote:

      > I have my Slug unslung to a hdd in disk 2 slot, and a usb hub
      attached
      > to disk 1 slot.
      > The hub has two disks from it, both NTFS. Up until today this all
      > worked fine.
      >
      > The two disks on the hub mounted and were assigned names HDD_1_1_1
      and
      > HDD_1_2_1.
      > Now only one disk is mounted on /dev/sdb1 as HDD_1_1_1, the other
      disk
      > will not mount. If I swap around the sockets on the hub the disks
      are
      > attached to, then the other disk is mounted instead. If I attach
      the
      > hub to my laptop then it sees both disks fine.
      >
      > I notice in my web browser that I have about 30 HDD_1_1_1 entries,
      > which link through to the hdd contents.
      >
      > I'm sure I haven't changed anything - any ideas what might be the
      > problem? I don't have another USB hub to check if that is causing
      > problems solely on the Slug.
      >
      > Thanks, Nathan

    • nathankirkham.rm
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2008
        The first hub was a powered one. Just attached a new hub and have
        exactly the same problem. So don't think it is power related.

        How can I determine if the slug can see the 2nd hard drive and is just
        not mounting it properly?

        Thanks, nathan

        <nathankirkham@...> wrote:

        > I have my Slug unslung to a hdd in disk 2 slot, and a usb hub attached
        > to disk 1 slot.
        > The hub has two disks from it, both NTFS. Up until today this all
        > worked fine.
        >
        > The two disks on the hub mounted and were assigned names HDD_1_1_1 and
        > HDD_1_2_1.
        > Now only one disk is mounted on /dev/sdb1 as HDD_1_1_1, the other disk
        > will not mount. If I swap around the sockets on the hub the disks are
        > attached to, then the other disk is mounted instead. If I attach the
        > hub to my laptop then it sees both disks fine.
        >
        > I notice in my web browser that I have about 30 HDD_1_1_1 entries,
        > which link through to the hdd contents.
        >
        > I'm sure I haven't changed anything - any ideas what might be the
        > problem? I don't have another USB hub to check if that is causing
        > problems solely on the Slug.
        >
        > Thanks, Nathan

      • Scott Ruckh
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2008
          This is what you said nathankirkham.rm
          > The first hub was a powered one. Just attached a new hub and have
          > exactly the same problem. So don't think it is power related.
          >
          > How can I determine if the slug can see the 2nd hard drive and is just
          > not mounting it properly?

          cat /proc/partitions

          or

          dmesg | grep sd[a-z][0-9]