Shutdown USB port ?

  • ced23456
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2008

      In order to implement a green 'home' Data center, i would like to
      reduce as much as possible consumption on my NSLU.

      There are a lots of post or wiki pages about spindown your HD. If you
      take a 2.5" HD USB, most of the time, they are powered by the NSLU
      itself.

      WOuld it be possible to shutdown an USB port on a NSLU2 to cut the
      power and therefore stop the HD ?

      Ced
    • Jeremy Jefferson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2008
        If you want to disable it completely, just umount it.  It'll still consume a little power though.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2008
          ced23456 ha scritto:

          > There are a lots of post or wiki pages about spindown your HD. If you
          > take a 2.5" HD USB, most of the time, they are powered by the NSLU
          > itself.
          >
          > WOuld it be possible to shutdown an USB port on a NSLU2 to cut the
          > power and therefore stop the HD ?

          I read all the post and the wiki too. The most effective solution I found is
          to use the manufacturer's specific software to set HD parameters like power
          saving, acoustic mode (wich also have impact on consuption) ecc.

          I think that unmounting the device (to answer to Jeremy) doesn't really spin
          down the disk.

          Andrea
        • Paul Coolwind
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6, 2008