Re: [nslu2-linux] slug & uNSLUng 6.10 & HDD & NTFS & slow

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2008
      On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 17:27 +0000, rvilajosana wrote:

      > The problem (because there is a problem) is when back-up involves many
      > (samll) files the transfer rate is very slow.. say from 30 to 200
      > Kb/s.

      Is the disk mounted "async". In that case everything has to
      be written to disk immediate. This has a huge performance
      penalty.

      With a small test i am able to create 50 files a second
      of a few bytes. You can't create more then 50 files in
      a setup like this. Which gives me a transfer rate of
      25 Kb/s (minimum block size is 512 b).

      See also:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/SolvePerformanceProblems

      NOTE:
      I didn't test on ntfs.

      --
      marceln
    • rvilajosana
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2008
        Thanks for your answer, Marceln.

        SOMETIMES, NOT ALWAYS, THINGS ARE EASIER THAN IT SEEMS....

        I get what I was looking for. My system is working perfectly, now,
        with a nice speed transfer, up to 3 Mb (or even 5mB) whith big
        files , and 170 Kb when files are small and there are hubdreds of
        them.

        The trick? Just incredible (for me!). I formatted HDD to ext3, from
        uNSLUng web interface. Then I plugged the HD in the PC under Windows
        XP and it said "NO FORMATTED", but here is the point. When plugged to
        NSLU2 and exploring from the PC,(I mapped the HD), Windows recognizes
        it as if it were NTFS. And it works a treat!

        I could'nt find this info in the net, so if you are interested in
        using NSLU from Windows XP, NO PROBLEM AT ALL!

        I do supose it is uNSLUng 6.10 which (I think) has a formats conversor
        inside.... Does it makes sense?

        rvilajosana