Re: [nslu2-linux] Abient Weather AMBNSLU2

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008
      Eric Anderson wrote:
      > http://www.ambientweather.com/mensundaloan.html
      > when marketing a product based on OS Linux don't you have to post the
      > code?

      Only when the code's license requires it (e.g. I presume the case you
      are alluding to is when the code is a derivative work of GPL'd code).

      The NSLU2-Linux project welcomes commercial software than runs on (for
      example) the Unslung firmware platform. As long as that commercial
      software runs as a separate executable, and is not derived from GPL'd
      code, then there is no requirement (either legal or moral) for the
      source code to be released.

      If, however, that commercial software contains, or is linked against,
      GPL'd code, then *all* source code for that commercial executable is
      required to be released to the person to whom the executable was
      distributed.

      So the only way to check in this case is for someone to buy the product.

      BTW, you can't ask for source unless you first buy the product.

      [My assumption from reading their web site is that they just use the
      NSLU2 as a communication gateway, and can do that with standard Unslung
      firmware and Optware packages. The real application seems to run on a PC.]