slug & uNSLUng 6.10 & HDD & NTFS & slow

  • rvilajosana
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008

      I've my slug, under uNSLUng 6.10 with a 240 Gb HDD mounted in DISK1,
      formatted originally under Win XP SP2.

      I've read a lot of articles saying it doesn't work and in some way I
      must agree... but thing is I can browse HD, I can explore it with
      Windows Explorer (and compatibles), I can use VICEVERSA PRO to make
      backups.

      The problem (because there is a problem) is when back-up involves many
      (samll) files the transfer rate is very slow.. say from 30 to 200 Kb/s.

      What can I change in order to 'fix' this speed issue?

      Regards,

      Chill
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2008
        On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 17:27 +0000, rvilajosana wrote:

        > The problem (because there is a problem) is when back-up involves many
        > (samll) files the transfer rate is very slow.. say from 30 to 200
        > Kb/s.

        Is the disk mounted "async". In that case everything has to
        be written to disk immediate. This has a huge performance
        penalty.

        With a small test i am able to create 50 files a second
        of a few bytes. You can't create more then 50 files in
        a setup like this. Which gives me a transfer rate of
        25 Kb/s (minimum block size is 512 b).

        See also:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/SolvePerformanceProblems

        NOTE:
        I didn't test on ntfs.

        --
        marceln
      • rvilajosana
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2008
          Thanks for your answer, Marceln.

          SOMETIMES, NOT ALWAYS, THINGS ARE EASIER THAN IT SEEMS....

          I get what I was looking for. My system is working perfectly, now,
          with a nice speed transfer, up to 3 Mb (or even 5mB) whith big
          files , and 170 Kb when files are small and there are hubdreds of
          them.

          The trick? Just incredible (for me!). I formatted HDD to ext3, from
          uNSLUng web interface. Then I plugged the HD in the PC under Windows
          XP and it said "NO FORMATTED", but here is the point. When plugged to
          NSLU2 and exploring from the PC,(I mapped the HD), Windows recognizes
          it as if it were NTFS. And it works a treat!

          I could'nt find this info in the net, so if you are interested in
          using NSLU from Windows XP, NO PROBLEM AT ALL!

          I do supose it is uNSLUng 6.10 which (I think) has a formats conversor
          inside.... Does it makes sense?

          rvilajosana