Re: Unslung 6.8 stops seeing 2nd drive attached to USB hub

  • inet2xtreme
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
      --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "nathankirkham.rm"
      <nathankirkham@...> wrote:

      > I have my Slug unslung to a hdd in disk 2 slot, and a usb hub
      attached
      > to disk 1 slot.
      > The hub has two disks from it, both NTFS. Up until today this all
      > worked fine.
      >
      > The two disks on the hub mounted and were assigned names HDD_1_1_1
      and
      > HDD_1_2_1.
      > Now only one disk is mounted on /dev/sdb1 as HDD_1_1_1, the other
      disk
      > will not mount. If I swap around the sockets on the hub the disks
      are
      > attached to, then the other disk is mounted instead. If I attach
      the
      > hub to my laptop then it sees both disks fine.
      >
      > I notice in my web browser that I have about 30 HDD_1_1_1 entries,
      > which link through to the hdd contents.
      >
      > I'm sure I haven't changed anything - any ideas what might be the
      > problem? I don't have another USB hub to check if that is causing
      > problems solely on the Slug.
      >
      > Thanks, Nathan

      Sure sounds like that USB hub is a suspect. If you can swap the
      drives and the problem doesn't follow the drive but is more
      associated with anything plugged into that port, seems like a likely
      culprit. It might be helpful if you have any sorts of log files or
      output showing what happens when you try to mount the drive on the
      suspect port on that USB hub.
    • bullfrog528
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2008
        Are the disks bus powered i.e. are they powered from the usb ports?
        If so I suspect your nslu2 power supply is starting to die.

        see -http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

        Jeremy (Bullfrog)

        <nathankirkham@...> wrote:

        > I have my Slug unslung to a hdd in disk 2 slot, and a usb hub
        attached
        > to disk 1 slot.
        > The hub has two disks from it, both NTFS. Up until today this all
        > worked fine.
        >
        > The two disks on the hub mounted and were assigned names HDD_1_1_1
        and
        > HDD_1_2_1.
        > Now only one disk is mounted on /dev/sdb1 as HDD_1_1_1, the other
        disk
        > will not mount. If I swap around the sockets on the hub the disks
        are
        > attached to, then the other disk is mounted instead. If I attach
        the
        > hub to my laptop then it sees both disks fine.
        >
        > I notice in my web browser that I have about 30 HDD_1_1_1 entries,
        > which link through to the hdd contents.
        >
        > I'm sure I haven't changed anything - any ideas what might be the
        > problem? I don't have another USB hub to check if that is causing
        > problems solely on the Slug.
        >
        > Thanks, Nathan

      • nathankirkham.rm
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2008
          The first hub was a powered one. Just attached a new hub and have
          exactly the same problem. So don't think it is power related.

          How can I determine if the slug can see the 2nd hard drive and is just
          not mounting it properly?

          Thanks, nathan

          <nathankirkham@...> wrote:

          > I have my Slug unslung to a hdd in disk 2 slot, and a usb hub attached
          > to disk 1 slot.
          > The hub has two disks from it, both NTFS. Up until today this all
          > worked fine.
          >
          > The two disks on the hub mounted and were assigned names HDD_1_1_1 and
          > HDD_1_2_1.
          > Now only one disk is mounted on /dev/sdb1 as HDD_1_1_1, the other disk
          > will not mount. If I swap around the sockets on the hub the disks are
          > attached to, then the other disk is mounted instead. If I attach the
          > hub to my laptop then it sees both disks fine.
          >
          > I notice in my web browser that I have about 30 HDD_1_1_1 entries,
          > which link through to the hdd contents.
          >
          > I'm sure I haven't changed anything - any ideas what might be the
          > problem? I don't have another USB hub to check if that is causing
          > problems solely on the Slug.
          >
          > Thanks, Nathan

        • Scott Ruckh
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 2008
            This is what you said nathankirkham.rm
            > The first hub was a powered one. Just attached a new hub and have
            > exactly the same problem. So don't think it is power related.
            >
            > How can I determine if the slug can see the 2nd hard drive and is just
            > not mounting it properly?

            cat /proc/partitions

            or

            dmesg | grep sd[a-z][0-9]