Abient Weather AMBNSLU2

  • Eric Anderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008
      when marketing a product based on OS Linux don't you have to post the
      code?

      http://www.ambientweather.com/mensundaloan.html
    • Drew Gibson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008
        IANAL, so YMMV,

        In brief,

        if you distribute GPL software in binary format you must make the source
        available. You can generally bundle OSS with closed source software,
        without including your source, dependant on how the proprietary code is
        linked to the OSS. If you modify the GPL source, you must make the
        modifications available to the end-user.

        eg. You could ship MyProprietaryWordProcessor bundled with linux but you
        could not ship MyProprietaryKernelModule as it links too closely to the
        GPL kernel.

        If they ship drivers as kernel modules, they must ship the source too.

        There are some ways around this, NVidia ship a binary video driver plus
        an OSS "shim" that sits between the proprietary code and the GPL kernel.

        regards,

        Drew

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2008
          Eric Anderson wrote:
          > http://www.ambientweather.com/mensundaloan.html
          > when marketing a product based on OS Linux don't you have to post the
          > code?

          Only when the code's license requires it (e.g. I presume the case you
          are alluding to is when the code is a derivative work of GPL'd code).

          The NSLU2-Linux project welcomes commercial software than runs on (for
          example) the Unslung firmware platform. As long as that commercial
          software runs as a separate executable, and is not derived from GPL'd
          code, then there is no requirement (either legal or moral) for the
          source code to be released.

          If, however, that commercial software contains, or is linked against,
          GPL'd code, then *all* source code for that commercial executable is
          required to be released to the person to whom the executable was
          distributed.

          So the only way to check in this case is for someone to buy the product.

          BTW, you can't ask for source unless you first buy the product.

          [My assumption from reading their web site is that they just use the
          NSLU2 as a communication gateway, and can do that with standard Unslung
          firmware and Optware packages. The real application seems to run on a PC.]