Unslung 6.8 stops seeing 2nd drive attached to USB hub

  • nathankirkham.rm
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
      I have my Slug unslung to a hdd in disk 2 slot, and a usb hub attached
      to disk 1 slot.
      The hub has two disks from it, both NTFS. Up until today this all
      worked fine.

      The two disks on the hub mounted and were assigned names HDD_1_1_1 and
      HDD_1_2_1.
      Now only one disk is mounted on /dev/sdb1 as HDD_1_1_1, the other disk
      will not mount. If I swap around the sockets on the hub the disks are
      attached to, then the other disk is mounted instead. If I attach the
      hub to my laptop then it sees both disks fine.

      I notice in my web browser that I have about 30 HDD_1_1_1 entries,
      which link through to the hdd contents.

      I'm sure I haven't changed anything - any ideas what might be the
      problem? I don't have another USB hub to check if that is causing
      problems solely on the Slug.

      Thanks, Nathan
    • inet2xtreme
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "nathankirkham.rm"
        <nathankirkham@...> wrote:

        > I have my Slug unslung to a hdd in disk 2 slot, and a usb hub
        attached
        > to disk 1 slot.
        > The hub has two disks from it, both NTFS. Up until today this all
        > worked fine.
        >
        > The two disks on the hub mounted and were assigned names HDD_1_1_1
        and
        > HDD_1_2_1.
        > Now only one disk is mounted on /dev/sdb1 as HDD_1_1_1, the other
        disk
        > will not mount. If I swap around the sockets on the hub the disks
        are
        > attached to, then the other disk is mounted instead. If I attach
        the
        > hub to my laptop then it sees both disks fine.
        >
        > I notice in my web browser that I have about 30 HDD_1_1_1 entries,
        > which link through to the hdd contents.
        >
        > I'm sure I haven't changed anything - any ideas what might be the
        > problem? I don't have another USB hub to check if that is causing
        > problems solely on the Slug.
        >
        > Thanks, Nathan

        Sure sounds like that USB hub is a suspect. If you can swap the
        drives and the problem doesn't follow the drive but is more
        associated with anything plugged into that port, seems like a likely
        culprit. It might be helpful if you have any sorts of log files or
        output showing what happens when you try to mount the drive on the
        suspect port on that USB hub.
      • bullfrog528
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2008
          Are the disks bus powered i.e. are they powered from the usb ports?
          If so I suspect your nslu2 power supply is starting to die.

          see -http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/PowerSupply

          Jeremy (Bullfrog)

          <nathankirkham@...> wrote:

          > I have my Slug unslung to a hdd in disk 2 slot, and a usb hub
          attached
          > to disk 1 slot.
          > The hub has two disks from it, both NTFS. Up until today this all
          > worked fine.
          >
          > The two disks on the hub mounted and were assigned names HDD_1_1_1
          and
          > HDD_1_2_1.
          > Now only one disk is mounted on /dev/sdb1 as HDD_1_1_1, the other
          disk
          > will not mount. If I swap around the sockets on the hub the disks
          are
          > attached to, then the other disk is mounted instead. If I attach
          the
          > hub to my laptop then it sees both disks fine.
          >
          > I notice in my web browser that I have about 30 HDD_1_1_1 entries,
          > which link through to the hdd contents.
          >
          > I'm sure I haven't changed anything - any ideas what might be the
          > problem? I don't have another USB hub to check if that is causing
          > problems solely on the Slug.
          >
          > Thanks, Nathan

        • nathankirkham.rm
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 2008
            The first hub was a powered one. Just attached a new hub and have
            exactly the same problem. So don't think it is power related.

            How can I determine if the slug can see the 2nd hard drive and is just
            not mounting it properly?

            Thanks, nathan

            <nathankirkham@...> wrote:

            > I have my Slug unslung to a hdd in disk 2 slot, and a usb hub attached
            > to disk 1 slot.
            > The hub has two disks from it, both NTFS. Up until today this all
            > worked fine.
            >
            > The two disks on the hub mounted and were assigned names HDD_1_1_1 and
            > HDD_1_2_1.
            > Now only one disk is mounted on /dev/sdb1 as HDD_1_1_1, the other disk
            > will not mount. If I swap around the sockets on the hub the disks are
            > attached to, then the other disk is mounted instead. If I attach the
            > hub to my laptop then it sees both disks fine.
            >
            > I notice in my web browser that I have about 30 HDD_1_1_1 entries,
            > which link through to the hdd contents.
            >
            > I'm sure I haven't changed anything - any ideas what might be the
            > problem? I don't have another USB hub to check if that is causing
            > problems solely on the Slug.
            >
            > Thanks, Nathan

          • Scott Ruckh
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 9, 2008
              This is what you said nathankirkham.rm
              > The first hub was a powered one. Just attached a new hub and have
              > exactly the same problem. So don't think it is power related.
              >
              > How can I determine if the slug can see the 2nd hard drive and is just
              > not mounting it properly?

              cat /proc/partitions

              or

              dmesg | grep sd[a-z][0-9]