Change unslung disk from port 1 to port 2 - possible or not? sensible or not?

  • markusvoss
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 1:19 AM
      Dear all,

      I am using the NSLU2 with unslung since approx. 6 month.
      I have quite a few packages installed (appweb with php, twonky, samba
      etc) .

      It seems that I unfortunately did not read thouroughly enough the
      documentation. I unslung on port 1 - in the meantime I am looking for
      a new disk now and the more I think about it, it seems it would have
      been better to unslung on port 2. Port 1 would be available for a hub
      in the future.
      The new disk is 3x bigger than the one unslung is currently on.

      Question is now - would I have to restart from scratch if I would like
      the change the unslung disk to port 2?

      Is there a manual solution to re-plug the current unslung disk to the
      other port (2)? I assume that some of the config files might need some
      changes since directory names would be changed after re-switching. Or
      is this too much of a hassle?

      Thanks,
      Markus.
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8 1:15 PM
        On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 08:19 +0000, markusvoss wrote:

        > Question is now - would I have to restart from scratch if I would like
        > the change the unslung disk to port 2?

        No.

        > Is there a manual solution to re-plug the current unslung disk to the
        > other port (2)? I assume that some of the config files might need some
        > changes since directory names would be changed after re-switching. Or
        > is this too much of a hassle?

        Change the name of the files:
        /.sdb1root
        /initrd/.sdb1root
        to:
        /.sda1root
        /initrd/.sda1root

        After that change the disk and reboot!

        This has the side effect that the data partition of this
        disk will be mounted as "/share/flash/data" instead of
        "/share/disk/data".

        Also the share names change so on that level you have to
        correct some things as well.

        --
        marceln