Re: OpenWRT endianness & ABI version?

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2008
      Hi Rod,

      Thanks for your help; I now have this board up and running.

      Rod Whitby wrote:
      > Phil Endecott wrote:
      >> OK, so when the Wiki says that "SlugOS/LE (formerly know as
      >> DebianSlug), ... uses the Debian package repository"
      >> (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/HomePage"), is that totally
      >> wrong or am I crazy? It looks to me very much as if it's using
      >> OpenEmbedded packages, not Debian packages.

      > SlugOS/LE uses the same set of packages as SlugOS/BE (just compiled with
      > the opposite endianness). SlugOS (both BE and LE) can also use Optware
      > packages.
      >
      > Feel free to fix any pages you find that still have that (now incorrect)
      > historical information on them.

      I've made some changes, including a comment that SlugOS/LE now seems to
      have an incompatible ABI from Debian (see my other thread). Let me
      know if there's anything major that I've missed. Does anyone have any
      insight into this FP ABI thing?

      >> I bet those openssh packages are taking a fair bit; can I
      >> use dropbear? ipkg install dropbear says "can't find package"

      > No, it should be. I'll look into why it isn't.

      Thanks. It would be really useful to have dropbear available.

      >> And, sticking out like a sore thumb, /var/lib/ipkg/cross

      > It's probably mostly the list of packages that can be installed, plus
      > the info for all the packages that are already installed.
      >
      > As long as you never wanted to run ipkg update again (and only installed
      > packages manually from local files), and never wanted to remove a
      > package, then you could delete all that.

      I have gzipped my /var/lib/ipkg/cross which saves a huge amount of
      space. Unfortunately it would be necessary to have enough space to
      gunzip it in order to use ipkg - e.g. to install dropbear - but I can
      use the space temporarily.

      I'm a bit surprised that this file size problem is not more often
      complained about by the OE and Emdebian people; it's "low hanging
      fruit" for saving space.

      Cheers, Phil.