Bridge question on SlugOS 4.8

  • louis_a_steinberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2008
      Hi Folks-

      I'm running SlugOS/BE 4.8 in an attempt to build a bridge between an
      ethernet and a USB cdma (WAN) card. I've got the CDMA card up &
      running as ppp0. I've got the following packages installed and running:

      > ipkg list_installed |grep -i bridge
      > bridge-utils - 1.2-r0 - Tools for ethernet bridging.
      > kernel-module-bridge - 2.6.21.7+svnr927-r0 - bridge kernel module

      So far, so good. Unfortunately I can't seem to add the ppp0 interface
      to the bridge. My read of the docs at
      http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Net:Bridge#What_can_be_bridged.3F
      says that ppp is now supported (I know that it wasn't a long time ago,
      but believe the kernel patches were added to support this).

      When I try, I get:

      > root@wan-bridge:~$ brctl addbr test3
      > root@wan-bridge:~$ brctl addif test3 ppp0
      > can't add ppp0 to bridge test3: Invalid argument

      I've looked that the bridge-utils package source and it appears as if
      the failing function is br_add_interface(). Not sure if the
      bridge-utils was compiled with #define SIOCBRADDIF and I haven't yet
      crawled through the kernel-module-bridge source, but would appreciate
      some guidance. The 2.6.21 kernel should support bridging. Is it a
      downlevel kernel-module-bridge package? Was trying to avaoid setting
      up a build environment.

      FYI, ppp0 is the correct interface and it is available...

      > root@wan-bridge:~$ ifconfig ppp0
      > ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
      > inet addr:68.244.126.5 P-t-P:68.28.113.69
      Mask:255.255.255.255
      > UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      > collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
      > RX bytes:744 (744.0 B) TX bytes:442 (442.0 B)

      and
      > $ uname -a
      > Linux wan-bridge 2.6.21.7 #1 PREEMPT Mon Dec 24 23:12:24 UTC 2007
      armv5teb unknown

      Thanks much,
      Lou