Backup Solution

  • raspden
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4 8:55 AM
      Hello,

      Can someone advise a simple backup solution for the slug. Now that I
      have things setup as I want them I need to backup the whole system in
      one easy step. If there a way to do this.
      I use a windows laptop to log into slug and would like to copy the
      backup to this machine. However Anything that involves copying files
      via samba will generate permisssions errors. I guess writing to an
      image file on the slug and then copying this locally would be suitable.

      Can anyone suggest a suitable method for backing up the slug?

      Cheers.
    • bloedmann999
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5 2:46 AM
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "raspden" <raspden@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Can someone advise a simple backup solution for the slug. Now that I
        > have things setup as I want them I need to backup the whole system in
        > one easy step. If there a way to do this.
        > I use a windows laptop to log into slug and would like to copy the
        > backup to this machine. However Anything that involves copying files
        > via samba will generate permisssions errors. I guess writing to an
        > image file on the slug and then copying this locally would be suitable.
        >
        > Can anyone suggest a suitable method for backing up the slug?
        >
        > Cheers.

        Hi,
        I am not sure, but wont any solution of backing up single files from
        Linux to Windows cause permissions problems?

        I actually use my slug to backup all my windows machines, using
        dirvish and rsync. The same script also backs up the /etc and
        /opt/usr/sbin directories of my slug, of course onto the same disk as
        the slug is running from. That is better than nothing. I then mirror
        my backup partition to another Linux box with rsync.

        To backup the complete partition/disk, I guess you need some kind of
        imaging tool. I have images of my slug partitions after a clean
        install. But, I dont know a way to do that when the disk is mounted.
        I do it by taking the USB disk to a Linux PC and using diskimage to
        make an image of each partition.
        To do that from windows, you would need some kind of imager that would
        support the partition type you are using on your slug disk, under
        windows. And you would need to connect the drive to the windows PC I
        would think.

        My solution would be to buy a 2.5" USB drive and just rsync the data
        on the slug disk over to the new drive. And then keep that drive
        unattached, or maybe at a different location. You can even keep
        multiple copies on that drive.

        Cheers Brian
      • Drew Gibson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5 7:08 AM

          bloedmann999 wrote:
          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "raspden" <raspden@...> wrote:

          Hello,

          Can someone advise a simple backup solution for the slug. Now that I
          have things setup as I want them I need to backup the whole system in
          one easy step. If there a way to do this.
          I use a windows laptop to log into slug and would like to copy the
          backup to this machine. However Anything that involves copying files
          via samba will generate permisssions errors. I guess writing to an
          image file on the slug and then copying this locally would be suitable.

          Can anyone suggest a suitable method for backing up the slug?

          Cheers.

          Hi,
          I am not sure, but wont any solution of backing up single files from
          Linux to Windows cause permissions problems?

          To backup to a Windows machine without loosing permissions, use "tar -czvf " then copy the file to the Windows box with Samba. If you don't have enough space on the Slug, you can do some tricks to pipe the output of the "tar" command direct to ssh and hence to the Windows thing. More info on that in "Linux Server Hacks" by O'Reilly (you can get some parts online but it's worth the money to buy)

          regards,

          Drew
        • raspden
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7 5:46 AM
            --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Drew Gibson <aggibson@...> wrote:

            > bloedmann999 wrote:
            > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "raspden" <raspden@> wrote:
            > >
            > >> Hello,
            > >>
            > >> Can someone advise a simple backup solution for the slug. Now that I
            > >> have things setup as I want them I need to backup the whole system in
            > >> one easy step. If there a way to do this.
            > >> I use a windows laptop to log into slug and would like to copy the
            > >> backup to this machine. However Anything that involves copying files
            > >> via samba will generate permisssions errors. I guess writing to an
            > >> image file on the slug and then copying this locally would be
            suitable.

            > >> Can anyone suggest a suitable method for backing up the slug?
            > >>
            > >> Cheers.
            > >>

            > > Hi,
            > > I am not sure, but wont any solution of backing up single files from
            > > Linux to Windows cause permissions problems?
            > >

            > To backup to a Windows machine without loosing permissions, use "tar
            > -czvf " then copy the file to the Windows box with Samba. If you don't
            > have enough space on the Slug, you can do some tricks to pipe the
            output
            > of the "tar" command direct to ssh and hence to the Windows thing. More
            > info on that in "Linux Server Hacks" by O'Reilly (you can get some
            parts
            > online but it's worth the money to buy)
            >
            > regards,
            >
            > Drew

            Thanks for your replies. It looks like the tar method would work fine
            for me. I have an 8GB flash memory stick so there's plenty of room.

            Any problems I'll let you know.

            Cheers.
          • bloedmann999
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 7 9:26 AM
              --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Drew Gibson <aggibson@...> wrote:

              > bloedmann999 wrote:
              > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "raspden" <raspden@> wrote:
              > >
              > >> Hello,
              > >>
              > >> Can someone advise a simple backup solution for the slug. Now that I
              > >> have things setup as I want them I need to backup the whole system in
              > >> one easy step. If there a way to do this.
              > >> I use a windows laptop to log into slug and would like to copy the
              > >> backup to this machine. However Anything that involves copying files
              > >> via samba will generate permisssions errors. I guess writing to an
              > >> image file on the slug and then copying this locally would be
              suitable.

              > >> Can anyone suggest a suitable method for backing up the slug?
              > >>
              > >> Cheers.
              > >>

              > > Hi,
              > > I am not sure, but wont any solution of backing up single files from
              > > Linux to Windows cause permissions problems?
              > >

              > To backup to a Windows machine without loosing permissions, use "tar
              > -czvf " then copy the file to the Windows box with Samba. If you don't
              > have enough space on the Slug, you can do some tricks to pipe the
              output
              > of the "tar" command direct to ssh and hence to the Windows thing. More
              > info on that in "Linux Server Hacks" by O'Reilly (you can get some
              parts
              > online but it's worth the money to buy)
              >
              > regards,
              >
              > Drew

              Drew,

              which "Linux Server Hacks", is the one you have? I see there are
              various versions. Can you recommend one?

              Cheers Brian
            • Drew Gibson
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 7 11:12 AM

                bloedmann999 wrote:

[...]

                Both from O'Reilly, I found the first one incredibly useful when I was fairly new to Linux and use at least a dozen of the hacks on a daily basis. I would highly recommend it. It includes the tar to ssh hack I mentioned above.

                Linux Server Hacks
                http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxsvrhack/index.html

                Volume 2 was less useful but half a dozen or so of interest. I like to think I knew it all already when book 2 came out! :-) but more likely I haven't taken the time to read through it thoroughly.

                Linux Server Hacks, Volume 2
                http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/morelnxsvrhks/index.html

                Both make great references, saved me hours of trial and error.

                regards,

                Drew

              • raspden
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 16 11:57 AM
                  --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Drew Gibson <aggibson@...> wrote:

                  > bloedmann999 wrote:
                  > > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "raspden" <raspden@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Hello,
                  > >>
                  > >> Can someone advise a simple backup solution for the slug. Now that I
                  > >> have things setup as I want them I need to backup the whole system in
                  > >> one easy step. If there a way to do this.
                  > >> I use a windows laptop to log into slug and would like to copy the
                  > >> backup to this machine. However Anything that involves copying files
                  > >> via samba will generate permisssions errors. I guess writing to an
                  > >> image file on the slug and then copying this locally would be
                  suitable.

                  > >> Can anyone suggest a suitable method for backing up the slug?
                  > >>
                  > >> Cheers.
                  > >>

                  > > Hi,
                  > > I am not sure, but wont any solution of backing up single files from
                  > > Linux to Windows cause permissions problems?
                  > >

                  > To backup to a Windows machine without loosing permissions, use "tar
                  > -czvf " then copy the file to the Windows box with Samba. If you don't
                  > have enough space on the Slug, you can do some tricks to pipe the
                  output
                  > of the "tar" command direct to ssh and hence to the Windows thing. More
                  > info on that in "Linux Server Hacks" by O'Reilly (you can get some
                  parts
                  > online but it's worth the money to buy)
                  >
                  > regards,
                  >
                  > Drew

                  Hello again,

                  I have tried this but it keeps getting into a loop. The problem is
                  that the I have a share called root which is the root contents of the
                  slug. But in /share/flash/data/ this takes you back to root then on
                  again so you can get
                  /share/flash/data/share/flash/data/share/flash/data etc. This loops on
                  and on so the tar file can never be created. Does anyone else have
                  this problem?

                  Can anyone advise me how this can be overcome. I guess the obvious is
                  to exclude the share folder from the tar command, but having looked on
                  the web I see no easy way to do this.

                  I'd be interested in people's experiences of this. Is it normal to
                  have a folder loop like this. How can I stop it happening.

                  Any help greatly appreciated.

                  Cheers.