Re: [nslu2-linux] Replaced Unslung Disc

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
      Gavin Lewandowski wrote:
      > Hi All,

      > This has all gone well, however the Linksys web interface does not think
      > a device is attached to DISK 2.

      I observed the same when I put an EXT3 formatted disk in on port 2 after
      unslinging to port 1.

      There are warning notes of badness/oddness happening when you do this on
      the website. Solution for me was to remove it after shutting down,
      re-formatting externally to FAT32 and using that. It's a known problem
      relating to the kernel: if you move to a distribution with a higher
      kernel revision (2.6) you should see better results.

      Rob Schofield
      --
      Down there, somewhere... but still here!
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2008
        On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 09:46 +0000, Gavin Lewandowski wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > After following the article at
        > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SwapDrivesOnUnslung
        >
        > I have replaced my 1gig boot device with a 250gb Maxtor SATA drive.
        >
        > This has all gone well, however the Linksys web interface does not think
        > a device is attached to DISK 2.
        >
        > /dev/sda1 241333620 597820 240735800 1% /
        > /dev/sdb1 480482192 283435068 192165696 60% /share/hdd/data
        > /dev/sdb2 116661 4144 111313 4% /share/hdd/conf
        >
        > As you can see the drive has mounted correctly.

        Is the 250 GB disk a "native" formated disk or a full ext3 disk?

        The linksys software does a lot of magic in mounting and sharing
        the devices. But unfortunately this magic doesn't always work as
        we want it to do.

        Please have a look at:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/R63DiskBehaviour

        I would format one disk native and one disk full ext3 and write
        a script to do the setup for that disk:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/NonNativeDiskMount

        An other solution is a FAT disk but there are other disadvantages
        to that setup as well.

        --
        marceln