Replaced Unslung Disc

  • Gavin Lewandowski
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
      Hi All,

      After following the article at
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SwapDrivesOnUnslung

      I have replaced my 1gig boot device with a 250gb Maxtor SATA drive.

      This has all gone well, however the Linksys web interface does not think
      a device is attached to DISK 2.

      /dev/sda1 241333620 597820 240735800 1% /
      /dev/sdb1 480482192 283435068 192165696 60% /share/hdd/data
      /dev/sdb2 116661 4144 111313 4% /share/hdd/conf

      As you can see the drive has mounted correctly.

      How can I use /dev/sda1 as extra storage space, I presume I would need
      to export a directory , /share/hde/data ?

      Many thanks,

      Gavin
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
        Gavin Lewandowski wrote:
        > Hi All,

        > This has all gone well, however the Linksys web interface does not think
        > a device is attached to DISK 2.

        I observed the same when I put an EXT3 formatted disk in on port 2 after
        unslinging to port 1.

        There are warning notes of badness/oddness happening when you do this on
        the website. Solution for me was to remove it after shutting down,
        re-formatting externally to FAT32 and using that. It's a known problem
        relating to the kernel: if you move to a distribution with a higher
        kernel revision (2.6) you should see better results.

        Rob Schofield
        --
        Down there, somewhere... but still here!
      • Marcel Nijenhof
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2008
          On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 09:46 +0000, Gavin Lewandowski wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > After following the article at
          > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SwapDrivesOnUnslung
          >
          > I have replaced my 1gig boot device with a 250gb Maxtor SATA drive.
          >
          > This has all gone well, however the Linksys web interface does not think
          > a device is attached to DISK 2.
          >
          > /dev/sda1 241333620 597820 240735800 1% /
          > /dev/sdb1 480482192 283435068 192165696 60% /share/hdd/data
          > /dev/sdb2 116661 4144 111313 4% /share/hdd/conf
          >
          > As you can see the drive has mounted correctly.

          Is the 250 GB disk a "native" formated disk or a full ext3 disk?

          The linksys software does a lot of magic in mounting and sharing
          the devices. But unfortunately this magic doesn't always work as
          we want it to do.

          Please have a look at:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/R63DiskBehaviour

          I would format one disk native and one disk full ext3 and write
          a script to do the setup for that disk:
          http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/NonNativeDiskMount

          An other solution is a FAT disk but there are other disadvantages
          to that setup as well.

          --
          marceln