Re: Does Bridge package work Unslung 6.10-beta Release ?

  • spinout_2004
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2 5:45 PM
      Thank you Mike, for your fast answer.
      But i went faster, shame on me. I installed Unslug 6.10 and I had what
      you describe. SLUG freeze when i make the "insmod bridge"

      So now, i try to make working openvpn without bridge. As i told, i'm
      not a linux expert and sometime, i'm a bit confused as XP is not as
      complicated ...

      Nevertheless, i want to make it working, so now, my problem is i still
      can establish a VPN with outside but i cannot reach ethernet from tne
      PC connected to the Slug through the VPN.

      I have trouble with ip_forwarding. I get that !!!

      /
      LKG634775 login: root
      Password:

      Welcome to Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta

      ---------- NOTE: THIS SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY UNSLUNG ----------

      BusyBox v1.3.1 (2007-12-29 03:38:35 UTC) Built-in shell (ash)
      Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

      # /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
      -sh: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward: Permission denied
      #

      I don't know what to do as I did not have that with 6.8 release !!!

      How can I get permission for that ?

      Thank's by advance,

      Spinout
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2 9:44 PM
        spinout_2004 wrote:
        > Thank you Mike, for your fast answer.
        > But i went faster, shame on me. I installed Unslug 6.10 and I had what
        > you describe. SLUG freeze when i make the "insmod bridge"
        >
        > So now, i try to make working openvpn without bridge. As i told, i'm
        > not a linux expert and sometime, i'm a bit confused as XP is not as
        > complicated ...

        Well... just for the record XP is just as complicated, and even more
        difficult if you need to get anything but Microsoft's vision of TCP/IP
        is working. But I understand your point, and I have to note that the
        various alternate firmwares for the router-type devices usually have all
        the bridge and routing stuff thoroughly tested, well integrated, and
        some of them even have a nice web-based GUI on them. That said, I run a
        tun-based openvpn connection on one of my Unslung 6.8 NSLU2's, and it
        works very nicely.
        > Nevertheless, i want to make it working, so now, my problem is i still
        > can establish a VPN with outside but i cannot reach ethernet from tne
        > PC connected to the Slug through the VPN.
        >
        > I have trouble with ip_forwarding. I get that !!!
        >
        > /
        > LKG634775 login: root
        > Password:
        >
        > Welcome to Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta
        >
        > ---------- NOTE: THIS SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY UNSLUNG ----------
        >

        > BusyBox v1.3.1 (2007-12-29 03:38:35 UTC) Built-in shell (ash)
        > Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
        >
        > # /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        > -sh: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward: Permission denied
        > #
        >
        > I don't know what to do as I did not have that with 6.8 release !!!
        >
        > How can I get permission for that ?

        You can't execute that - it's a file. You can view the content of it:
        "cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward", but I think you want to set it.
        Here's the startup file I use to start openvpn on my system
        (/opt/etc/init.d/S59openvpn):

        #!/bin/sh

        if [ -n "`pidof openvpn`" ]; then
        /bin/killall openvpn 2>/dev/null
        fi

        # load TUN/TAP module
        /sbin/insmod tun

        # enable IP forwarding
        echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

        # startup VPN tunnel in daemon mode
        /opt/sbin/openvpn --cd /opt/etc/openvpn --daemon \
        --log-append /var/log/openvpn.log \
        --config server.conf

        Set up the server.conf file so that it has the correct addresses, of course.

        > Thank's by advance,
        >
        > Spinout

        Mike (mwester)
      • spinout_2004
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5 3:04 PM
          Re: Does Bridge package work Unslung 6.10-beta Release ?

          Thank again, Mike,

          I have found that my trouble to use the VPN was due to the router used
          juste after the Slug. It was not as configurable as I though and the
          IP frame comming from the VPN through the slug were blocked.

          So I installed on the Slug a proxy, and tada, now it work. It is not
          very fast, but fast enough for what I want.

          My config is:

          EEEPC <-> Samsung mobile phone <----> Internet proxy Bouygue Telecom
          <---> Router ADSL ADSL provided <-> NSLU2

          the VPN is mounted between EEEPC and SLUG through my mobile phone

          EEEPC has web access through my slug proxy

          Result: illimited internet access with edge bandwith...

          I have to read a little bit the documentation of the proxy in order to
          be able to connect to my email account using pop and smtp protocol.
          But today, i can use the webserver going through the VPN and the proxy.

          Perhaps I will install a web server on the slug, ... wait and see.

          It's a very good tiny toy...

          Regards,

          Spinout