Re: [nslu2-linux] Does Bridge package work Unslung 6.10-beta Release ?

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
      spinout_2004 wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I can't make Bridge package working on Unslung 6.8-beta Release so i
      > was wondering if someone can confirm that after an install according
      > to wiki page http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpOpenVPNServer
      > it is working on 6.10 release ?
      >
      > If yes, i will upgrade my slug to 6.10 rev because i have no idea on
      > what happening and why I have this error! I'm not a linux expert :-(
      >

      >> # insmod bridge
      >> Using /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/net/bridge/bridge.o
      >> insmod: unresolved symbol br_ioctl_hook
      >> insmod: unresolved symbol br_handle_frame_hook
      >>

      > Thank's for any one can confirm it

      No, it does not work with 6.10 - it panics the kernel.

      A quick google of the insmod messages above reveals that this message
      occurs when the kernel has not been built with bridge support. So
      logically, one concludes that the bridge module was not built as part of
      the Unslung 6.8-beta kernel, but must be from some other kernel.

      It turns out that the 6.10 kernel *was* built with bridge support, so
      the module installs -- but the result is an immediate kernel panic and
      crash. This would seem to explain why the 6.8 kernel didn't support the
      bridge module, it very probably failed and was removed. Clearly it was
      not tested when it was re-enabled in the 6.10 kernel.

      In any case, it doesn't work on either 6.x release of Unslung. I'd
      suggest that you stick with the tun driver (which works), or switch to
      SlugOS or Debian.

      Mike (mwester)
    • spinout_2004
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
        Thank you Mike, for your fast answer.
        But i went faster, shame on me. I installed Unslug 6.10 and I had what
        you describe. SLUG freeze when i make the "insmod bridge"

        So now, i try to make working openvpn without bridge. As i told, i'm
        not a linux expert and sometime, i'm a bit confused as XP is not as
        complicated ...

        Nevertheless, i want to make it working, so now, my problem is i still
        can establish a VPN with outside but i cannot reach ethernet from tne
        PC connected to the Slug through the VPN.

        I have trouble with ip_forwarding. I get that !!!

        /
        LKG634775 login: root
        Password:

        Welcome to Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta

        ---------- NOTE: THIS SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY UNSLUNG ----------

        BusyBox v1.3.1 (2007-12-29 03:38:35 UTC) Built-in shell (ash)
        Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

        # /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        -sh: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward: Permission denied
        #

        I don't know what to do as I did not have that with 6.8 release !!!

        How can I get permission for that ?

        Thank's by advance,

        Spinout
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2008
          spinout_2004 wrote:
          > Thank you Mike, for your fast answer.
          > But i went faster, shame on me. I installed Unslug 6.10 and I had what
          > you describe. SLUG freeze when i make the "insmod bridge"
          >
          > So now, i try to make working openvpn without bridge. As i told, i'm
          > not a linux expert and sometime, i'm a bit confused as XP is not as
          > complicated ...

          Well... just for the record XP is just as complicated, and even more
          difficult if you need to get anything but Microsoft's vision of TCP/IP
          is working. But I understand your point, and I have to note that the
          various alternate firmwares for the router-type devices usually have all
          the bridge and routing stuff thoroughly tested, well integrated, and
          some of them even have a nice web-based GUI on them. That said, I run a
          tun-based openvpn connection on one of my Unslung 6.8 NSLU2's, and it
          works very nicely.
          > Nevertheless, i want to make it working, so now, my problem is i still
          > can establish a VPN with outside but i cannot reach ethernet from tne
          > PC connected to the Slug through the VPN.
          >
          > I have trouble with ip_forwarding. I get that !!!
          >
          > /
          > LKG634775 login: root
          > Password:
          >
          > Welcome to Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.10-beta
          >
          > ---------- NOTE: THIS SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY UNSLUNG ----------
          >

          > BusyBox v1.3.1 (2007-12-29 03:38:35 UTC) Built-in shell (ash)
          > Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
          >
          > # /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
          > -sh: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward: Permission denied
          > #
          >
          > I don't know what to do as I did not have that with 6.8 release !!!
          >
          > How can I get permission for that ?

          You can't execute that - it's a file. You can view the content of it:
          "cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward", but I think you want to set it.
          Here's the startup file I use to start openvpn on my system
          (/opt/etc/init.d/S59openvpn):

          #!/bin/sh

          if [ -n "`pidof openvpn`" ]; then
          /bin/killall openvpn 2>/dev/null
          fi

          # load TUN/TAP module
          /sbin/insmod tun

          # enable IP forwarding
          echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

          # startup VPN tunnel in daemon mode
          /opt/sbin/openvpn --cd /opt/etc/openvpn --daemon \
          --log-append /var/log/openvpn.log \
          --config server.conf

          Set up the server.conf file so that it has the correct addresses, of course.

          > Thank's by advance,
          >
          > Spinout

          Mike (mwester)
        • spinout_2004
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2008
            Re: Does Bridge package work Unslung 6.10-beta Release ?

            Thank again, Mike,

            I have found that my trouble to use the VPN was due to the router used
            juste after the Slug. It was not as configurable as I though and the
            IP frame comming from the VPN through the slug were blocked.

            So I installed on the Slug a proxy, and tada, now it work. It is not
            very fast, but fast enough for what I want.

            My config is:

            EEEPC <-> Samsung mobile phone <----> Internet proxy Bouygue Telecom
            <---> Router ADSL ADSL provided <-> NSLU2

            the VPN is mounted between EEEPC and SLUG through my mobile phone

            EEEPC has web access through my slug proxy

            Result: illimited internet access with edge bandwith...

            I have to read a little bit the documentation of the proxy in order to
            be able to connect to my email account using pop and smtp protocol.
            But today, i can use the webserver going through the VPN and the proxy.

            Perhaps I will install a web server on the slug, ... wait and see.

            It's a very good tiny toy...

            Regards,

            Spinout