Re: [nslu2-linux] SLUGOSBE BUG TO BE ADDED TO BUG TRACKER

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2008
      Jeremy Jefferson wrote:
      > SlugOS/BE 4.8 Beta
      >
      > bug: passwd command
      >
      > Issue: passwd command will not work unless called by the root user.
      > Any other user will get an error shown below. I have confirmed this
      > on two seperate nslu2's.
      >

      > *[pierre@CUBS /]$ passwd
      > Changing password for pierre
      > Old password:
      > Enter the new password (minimum of 5, maximum of 8 characters)
      > Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
      > Enter new password:
      > *** glibc detected *** passwd: free(): invalid next size (fast):
      > 0x0001f948 ***
      > Aborted*

      Tested, and confirmed -- this is a problem with SlugOS.

      It turns out that it also existed in SlugOS 3.10. Also, the latest
      versions of SlugOS (4.9-alpha) have a different failure mode for this
      operation (the passwd command has been switched from tinylogin to
      busybox, and we'd have to run busybox as setuid root for passwd to
      work). It's interesting that this has never been noted as an issue before.

      So, the problem has been around for a while, and it looks like the state
      of the passwd command is somewhat in flux right now (which is a nice way
      of saying that you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for this to get
      fixed!). The recommended workaround is to just have root change the
      password, which is easy to do since the NSLU2 is seldom used for more
      than a single user who also has access to the su command or can login as
      root.

      Mike (mwester)