Slugosbe an active project?

  • M G
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2008
      I just saw the post regarding a bug in passwd...  I had posted to ask about the fact that none of the mirrors for ipkg for SlugOSBE are available and received absolutely no responses.  Is this an active project?  If so, anyone care to comment on the fact that the mirrors are all unavailable?

      TIA,

      Marcus

    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2008
        On Tue 26/02/08 8:10 AM , M G mgroff3@... sent:
        > I just saw the post regarding a bug in passwd... I had posted to ask
        > about the fact that none of the mirrors for ipkg for SlugOSBE are
        > available and received absolutely no responses. Is this an active
        > project? If so, anyone care to comment on the fact that the mirrors
        > are all unavailable? TIA, Marcus

        SlugOS is very much an active project. Firstly, nobody is being paid to work on
        any nslu2-linux projects, which means that we all need to have regular jobs in
        order to feed our families and pay to keep a roof over our heads. Secondly, it's
        a community project - which means that the community is expected to be involved
        (i.e. debugging problems, submitting patches rather than just problems, etc).

        The lack of any comment on your earlier email may well be due to someone
        traveling and being unable to address an issue at this particular time, or it
        might mean that someone is working on the issue, or it could be that your email
        lacked sufficient detail or information for anyone to respond, or it might just
        even mean that nobody can duplicate your problem.

        Mike (mwester)
      • mgroff3
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2008
          Mike,

          Thank you for the response. I understand the nature of an opensource
          community--its just that my question was so basic, I couldn't help
          but imagine there was no on the other end when I received no response
          after multiple days :)

          So, maybe I should try this again. All of the mirrors for the
          packages under:
          http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/native/3.10-beta/
          return 404.

          Is this repository going to be unavailable going forward?

          TIA,

          Marcus

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2008
            mgroff3 wrote:
            > Thank you for the response. I understand the nature of an opensource
            > community--its just that my question was so basic, I couldn't help
            > but imagine there was no on the other end when I received no response
            > after multiple days :)
            >
            > So, maybe I should try this again. All of the mirrors for the
            > packages under:
            > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/native/3.10-beta/
            > return 404.
            >
            > Is this repository going to be unavailable going forward?

            I don't see how you could consider the project to be dead when looking
            at, for instance, http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/slugosbe/cross/,
            with latest update dates of 10 Feb for 3.10-beta and today for the
            unstable version.

            That being said, it does seem to be the case that the stable native
            feeds do seem to be broken. I'll ask our stable feeds manager to look
            into it.

            Note that the native feed is deprecated anyway - all of our packages
            normally come from the cross feed unless they absolutely can't be
            cross-compiled.