Re: [nslu2-linux] Unslung 6.10 Beta - USB 2.0 HUB - Samsung ML1520 printer - not working!

  • Paul Coolwind
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 25, 2008
      Looks like the 2.0 hub is creating the problem.
      Try with a 1.1 hub and it will work

      Paolo

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 25, 2008
        --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > > printing is enabled
        > > no entries
        > > daemon present
        > >
        > > if i try to manage the printer from cups, it lets me to turn the
        > > printer in active state, but as i try to print a test page it
        gives an
        > > error and goes offline.
        > > if i try to use the cat command it says:
        > > # cat /opt/etc/cups/printers.conf > /dev/lp0
        > > -sh: cannot create /dev/lp0: No such device
        > >
        > > Which are your suggestions to have my configuration working?
        > >

        > > P.S.
        > > I'm not bound to unslung, so if the solution is to change
        firmware i
        > > can do it, just one thing....
        > > does the other firmwares mount and share the HDD plugged on the
        fly,
        > > as the unslung does?
        > > I can't connect in ssh each time i plug an HDD (and, moreover,

        I had a similar problem with unslung 6.8 plugging a USB camera
        directly into the port worked, into a hub gave the error - usb.c:
        unable to get device descriptor (error=-75).

        I discovered that the camera was USB 1 and the hub USB 2, by using a
        USB 1 hub instead , the camera was detected correctly, appears the
        slug is incorrectly detecting the USB speed type of peripherals on
        the back of a hub, under unslung if the hub doesn't match the
        peripherals.

        Jeremy (Bullfrog)
      • reuter.rudolf
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 25, 2008
          Hello Paolo,

          If this effect is well known, why is it not possible to fix it, as it
          is done in kernel 2.6?
          I like to use a harddisk (USB2.0) and an USB to RS232 converter
          (USB1.1) on the same hub (USB2.0) which was not possible with uNSLUng,
          but worked with SlugOS BE with the drawback of the missing web
          interface (from Linksys) for the configuration, which I like very much.

          Greetings, Rudi

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Coolwind" <paulcoolwind@...>
          wrote:

          > Looks like the 2.0 hub is creating the problem.
          > Try with a 1.1 hub and it will work
          >
          > Paolo

        • John
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 25, 2008
            On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:16:37PM -0000, reuter.rudolf wrote:
            > If this effect is well known, why is it not possible to fix it, as it
            > is done in kernel 2.6?

            Unslung, by design, maintains compatibility with Linksys'
            proprietary code. This cause many problems of which you found one.
            Others include: 'shutdown' command doesn't work properly;
            /etc/fstab is rewritten upon boot; and two disk support is quite
            tricky. By choosing Unslung, you get Linksys' nice web interface
            but the price is that you have to accept the associated problems of
            its proprietary code.
          • Mike Westerhof
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 25, 2008
              On Mon 25/02/08 8:16 PM , "reuter.rudolf" reuterru@... sent:

              > If this effect is well known, why is it not possible to fix it, as it
              > is done in kernel 2.6?

              Do you have a patch, or a pointer to a patch to fix this problem in the 2.4.22
              kernel? If so, we'll consider incorporating it into Unslung, provided it doesn't
              break any Linksys behavior (or misbehavior, for that matter -- compatability is a
              two-edged sword sometimes). It's not likely that any of the core developers will
              debug the problem and write a patch; the philosophy of the core team is that
              Unslung is what it is today -- if you need anything more, upgrade to one of the
              many other firmwares.

              > I like to use a harddisk (USB2.0) and an USB to RS232 converter
              > (USB1.1) on the same hub (USB2.0) which was not possible with uNSLUng,
              > but worked with SlugOS BE with the drawback of the missing web
              > interface (from Linksys) for the configuration, which I like very much.

              That's the compromise to be made - if you stick with the Linksys GUI, you are
              stuck on Linksys very old kernel, and over time fewer and fewer devices can be
              expected to work with that old kernel. On the other hand, you can choose one of
              the firmwares with a newer kernel and software - although you will give up the
              Linksys GUI. (You might like to take a look at the OpenWRT firmware for the
              NSLU2, it has a web GUI available as well.)

              > Greetings, Rudi

              Mike (mwester)
            • Duccio
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 25, 2008
                --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, John <jl.050877@...> wrote:

                > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 08:16:37PM -0000, reuter.rudolf wrote:
                > > If this effect is well known, why is it not possible to fix it, as it
                > > is done in kernel 2.6?
                >
                > Unslung, by design, maintains compatibility with Linksys'
                > proprietary code. This cause many problems of which you found one.
                > Others include: 'shutdown' command doesn't work properly;
                > /etc/fstab is rewritten upon boot; and two disk support is quite
                > tricky. By choosing Unslung, you get Linksys' nice web interface
                > but the price is that you have to accept the associated problems of
                > its proprietary code.

                So it seems that i have to change firmware.
                i have no knowledge about gnu-linux, and i only need:

                asterisk
                (samba) file server
                (cups) print server
                usb1.1-printer recognized from behind a 2.0 hub in port1, and the
                system in the potr 2 in a ext3-usb2.0-hdd

                i'd like a lot something which makes possible to plug a hdd in the hub
                and have it automatically shared to my private network (but if not
                possible no problems)
                ...which firmware do you think could have best performance, simple
                management, and best fit to my needs?
              • Brendan Reid
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 25, 2008
                  hi ducci(?)

                  one question before you decide to change firmware

                  can you telnet to redboot as per the wiki

                  you will need this to

                  a) flash a new firmware
                  b) flash firmware to recover from a problem with firmware or software which prevents a sucessful login

                  If  your linux "messing about" skills are up to this then choose a new firmware (sorry no recommendation from me
                  i still use unslung)

                  If not then buy a 1.1 hub.....

                  bren

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 25, 2008
                    Hello Mike and John,

                    Thank you for the enlightening words to the topic. I know that
                    software debugging is a difficult matter, and all that is for free.
                    The problem for me, not having a web interface for the configuration
                    on SlugOS Be, is to memorize all those files and parameters where to tune.
                    If there would be a central documentation, to explain all that in a
                    good structured way, it would be easier.
                    I will have a look to OpenWRT, if it is more suitable for me.

                    Greeting, Rudi

                    --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:

                    > On Mon 25/02/08 8:16 PM , "reuter.rudolf" reuterru@... sent:
                    >
                    > > If this effect is well known, why is it not possible to fix it, as it
                    > > is done in kernel 2.6?
                    >
                    > Do you have a patch, or a pointer to a patch to fix this problem in
                    the 2.4.22
                    > kernel? If so, we'll consider incorporating it into Unslung,
                    provided it doesn't
                    > break any Linksys behavior (or misbehavior, for that matter --
                    compatability is a
                    > two-edged sword sometimes). It's not likely that any of the core
                    developers will
                    > debug the problem and write a patch; the philosophy of the core team
                    is that
                    > Unslung is what it is today -- if you need anything more, upgrade to
                    one of the
                    > many other firmwares.
                    >
                    > > I like to use a harddisk (USB2.0) and an USB to RS232 converter
                    > > (USB1.1) on the same hub (USB2.0) which was not possible with uNSLUng,
                    > > but worked with SlugOS BE with the drawback of the missing web
                    > > interface (from Linksys) for the configuration, which I like very
                    much.

                    > That's the compromise to be made - if you stick with the Linksys
                    GUI, you are
                    > stuck on Linksys very old kernel, and over time fewer and fewer
                    devices can be
                    > expected to work with that old kernel. On the other hand, you can
                    choose one of
                    > the firmwares with a newer kernel and software - although you will
                    give up the
                    > Linksys GUI. (You might like to take a look at the OpenWRT firmware
                    for the
                    > NSLU2, it has a web GUI available as well.)
                    >
                    > > Greetings, Rudi
                    >
                    > Mike (mwester)

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 26, 2008
                      On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:44:39PM -0000, Duccio wrote:
                      > So it seems that i have to change firmware.
                      > i have no knowledge about gnu-linux, and i only need:
                      >
                      > asterisk
                      > (samba) file server
                      > (cups) print server
                      > usb1.1-printer recognized from behind a 2.0 hub in port1, and the
                      > system in the potr 2 in a ext3-usb2.0-hdd
                      >
                      > i'd like a lot something which makes possible to plug a hdd in the hub
                      > and have it automatically shared to my private network (but if not
                      > possible no problems)
                      > ...which firmware do you think could have best performance, simple
                      > management, and best fit to my needs?

                      I haven't tried those particular programs or hardware
                      combination but I can offer general thoughts. Both SlugOS/BE and
                      Debian are good. SlugOS has the advantage of being optimized for
                      speed on a slug. However, for a Linux newbie, I would suggest
                      Debian, not because it is 'easier' or newbie-friendlier (it isn't),
                      but because (a) it has more documentation and (b) things generally
                      work as documented.
                    • Duccio
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 10, 2008
                        Many thanks to all of you, i have bought a USB1.1 hub, and now i have:
                        USB2=hub1.1 with printer_usb1.1 and system disk (usb2.0 2Gb memory stick)
                        USB1=usb_hub_2.0 with 3 ext3 HDs (usb2.0 box) and 1 USB2.0 box with NTFS

                        all working
                        Thanks!
                      • Jorge Monteiro
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 10, 2008
                          Hello

                          Please inform us about the hub's model and reference.

                          Just to keep track of all working HUBs around.

                          Thank you