Re: Bluetooth under UNSLung 2.8

  • basestartion2001
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 25 10:21 AM
      OK, thanks

      Still could not find kernel-module-bluetooth
      So I tried
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/nslu2-general/message/3711
      to the letter.
      It seems kernel-module-bluez replaces kernel-module-bluetooth

      The same error occurs:

      # pand --listen --role NAP
      Failed to open control socket: Address family not supported by
      protocol

      Could it be that my BT-adapter (Bluesoleil) is not supported (still a
      strange message for that).

      > basestartion2001 wrote:
      > > I am trying to get Bluetooth working under Unslung.
      > >
      > > I followed http://www.nslu2-
      > > linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/BluetoothUnslung
      > > but one of the problems of this procedure is that 'ipkg install
      > > kernel-module-bluetooth' fails (Cannot find package kernel-module-
      > > bluetooth).
      > > Should I try to use the module of the same name from e.g. SlugOS?
      >
      > No. Download it manually from the relevant versioned directory in
      > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/
      >
      > Installing a module from SlugOS on an Unslung slug is like
      installing a
      > Windows Vista application on a Apple IIe.
      >
      > > Anyhow I ignored this ...
      >
      > You can't expect anything afterwards to work at all.
      >
      > -- Rod

    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 25 1:54 PM
        In message <fpoek2+vqe6@...>, basestartion2001
        <knak_worst_je@...> writes
        >Dear all,
        >
        >I am trying to get Bluetooth working under Unslung.
        >
        >I followed http://www.nslu2-
        >linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/BluetoothUnslung
        >but one of the problems of this procedure is that 'ipkg install
        >kernel-module-bluetooth' fails (Cannot find package kernel-module-
        >bluetooth).
        >Should I try to use the module of the same name from e.g. SlugOS?

        The thread title above shows 'Bluetooth under Unslung 2.8' ??

        I think that no kernel modules are available for Unslung lower than
        version 5.5
        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 26 1:29 AM
          Yes sorry, should have stated 6.8, time flies

          --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hammond <rob.hammond@...>
          wrote:

          > In message <fpoek2+vqe6@...>, basestartion2001
          > <knak_worst_je@...> writes
          > >Dear all,
          > >
          > >I am trying to get Bluetooth working under Unslung.
          > >
          > >I followed http://www.nslu2-
          > >linux.org/wiki/Peripherals/BluetoothUnslung
          > >but one of the problems of this procedure is that 'ipkg install
          > >kernel-module-bluetooth' fails (Cannot find package kernel-module-
          > >bluetooth).
          > >Should I try to use the module of the same name from e.g. SlugOS?
          > >
          > The thread title above shows 'Bluetooth under Unslung 2.8' ??
          >
          > I think that no kernel modules are available for Unslung lower than
          > version 5.5
          > --
          > Robert Hammond
          > PGP:0x154144DA

        • Robert Hammond
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 26 10:26 AM
            In message <fq0m5i+scfg@...>, basestartion2001
            <knak_worst_je@...> writes
            >Yes sorry, should have stated 6.8, time flies

            <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta/>

            The following should install and load this module.

            ipkg -force-depends install kernel-module-bluez

            then load the module using

            insmod bluez

            If this works then to auto load the module at a re-boot use an unslung
            diversion script.

            touch /unslung/rc.modules

            chmod 0755 /unslung/rc.modules

            A working script is probably

            #! /bin/sh
            # /unslung/rc.modules
            # Diversion script to
            # Initialise and load kernel module
            /sbin/insmod bluez &>/dev/null
            # Return and continue execution of system rc.
            return 1
            # EOF - include this line

            --
            Robert Hammond
            PGP:0x154144DA
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 26 11:40 AM
              Thanks Robert,

              Got very close and stumbled on 3 problems:

              Problem 1: BT Use dongle behind a hub is a no go
              Problem 2: kernel-module-bluetooth module probably replaced by kernel-
              module-bluez (as you confirmed)

              Install:
              #ipkg install bluez-hcidump bluez-libs bluez-utils kernel-module-
              bluez kernel-module-bnep kernel-module-hci-usb kernel-module-l2cap
              kernel-module-rfcomm

              # insmod bluez
              # insmod hci_usb
              # insmod l2cap
              # insmod bnep

              # hciconfig hci0 up

              # hciconfig -a

              hci0: Type: USB
              BD Address: 00:11:67:5F:1D:04 ACL MTU: 678:8 SCO MTU: 48:10
              UP RUNNING
              RX bytes:397 acl:0 sco:0 events:23 errors:0
              TX bytes:88 acl:0 sco:0 commands:16 errors:0
              Features: 0xbf 0xfe 0x8d 0x38 0x08 0x18 0x00 0x00
              Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
              Link policy:
              Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
              Name: 'ISSCBTM'
              Class: 0x000000
              Service Classes: Unspecified
              Device Class: Miscellaneous,
              HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x226 LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP
              Subver: 0x226
              Manufacturer: Integrated System Solution Corp. (57)

              # hcitool inq
              Inquiring ...
              #

              Problem 3: ISSC USB Dongle seems not work with current bluez (have 2
              BT devices present, both are not recognised)

              Googling confirmed:

              "
              Re: ISSC USB Dongle does not work with current bluez?
              Date: July 31, 2004
              From: Marcel Holtmann <marcel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

              <1090579838.4791.20.camel@pegasus >
              <200407231303.45860.Andreas.Krause@xxxxxx>

              Hi Andreas,

              > > Another buggy Bluetooth chip with a stupid link manager. Is it
              really so
              > > hard to get a correct HCI implementation before manufacturing end-
              user
              > > products?
              >
              > That means? Wait until you got one yourself and write a little hack
              for this
              > buggy chip? ;-)

              it looks like that this device needs the HCI_Reset before it can run
              an
              inquiry. Funny is that every other HCI command work without it. Try
              the
              attached patch.

              Regards

              Marcel

              patch
              "

              Recompiling is too much for me, so I will look for another BT-dongle.

              Thanks a lot for giving me leads!

              wrote:

              > In message <fq0m5i+scfg@...>, basestartion2001
              > <knak_worst_je@...> writes
              > >Yes sorry, should have stated 6.8, time flies
              > >
              > <http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta/>
              >

              > The following should install and load this module.
              >
              > ipkg -force-depends install kernel-module-bluez
              >
              > then load the module using
              >
              > insmod bluez
              >

              > If this works then to auto load the module at a re-boot use an
              unslung
              > diversion script.
              >
              > touch /unslung/rc.modules
              >
              > chmod 0755 /unslung/rc.modules
              >
              > A working script is probably
              >
              > #! /bin/sh
              > # /unslung/rc.modules
              > # Diversion script to
              > # Initialise and load kernel module
              > /sbin/insmod bluez &>/dev/null
              > # Return and continue execution of system rc.
              > return 1
              > # EOF - include this line
              >

              > --
              > Robert Hammond
              > PGP:0x154144DA

            • basestartion2001
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 27 10:48 AM
                This feels good! Finally circumvented the last hurdle by manually
                forcing a reset of my ISSC BT USB dongle

                # hciconfig hci0 reset

                # hcitool inq
                Inquiring ...
                00:19:63:88:8D:5F clock offset: 0x4dd4 class:
                0x520204
                00:1C:35:85:90:53 clock offset: 0x5c3a class:
                0x5a0204

                # hcitool scan
                Scanning ...
                00:19:63:88:8D:5F Z530i