Re: [nslu2-linux] Anybody tried the testing feed from Debian/NSLU2?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2008
      Vlad Petric wrote:
      > I need some packages from testing, which force me to upgrade most of the
      > system. I wouldn't upgrade the kernel ... but still I don't wanna brick
      > my slug yet :)

      Installing firmware using upslug2 cannot brick your slug.

      It may put it into an unbootable state if there is a problem with the
      software that you install (e.g. a new kernel with the wrong drivers).

      If it does, it is easily remedied by taking a full backup of your flash
      ("cat /dev/mtdblock* > backup.bin") and a full backup of your hard disk,
      before attempting to install anything new. If something goes wrong,
      just restore the flash ("upslug2 -i backup.bin") and hard disk contents
      to their previous known good state.

      Once you have done this, you can attempt any upgrades with a real sense
      of safe adventure ... and then report your results.