Re: [nslu2-linux] slug clock wierdness

  • Brendan Reid
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2 1:27 AM
      Scott,

      Ok thanks for clarifyng your approach Scott, I appreciate your time.

      I have done exacty the same but no luck. Actually, just rebooted to
      see if this would help but found i didnt have diversion script setup
      for sshd so it took me some time to get back via telnet....

      please can you run this command on your system

      /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org

      this command hangs/goes into endless loop for me and i believe this is
      the root of my prob as stated in prev emails

      thanks
      bren
    • Brendan Reid
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2 2:29 AM
        @ roland - that's what i tried first....no luck here for some strange reason
        bren
      • Scott Ruckh
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2 6:51 AM
          This is what you said Brendan Reid
          > Scott,
          >
          > Ok thanks for clarifyng your approach Scott, I appreciate your time.
          >
          > I have done exacty the same but no luck. Actually, just rebooted to
          > see if this would help but found i didnt have diversion script setup
          > for sshd so it took me some time to get back via telnet....
          >
          > please can you run this command on your system
          >
          > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org
          >
          > this command hangs/goes into endless loop for me and i believe this is
          > the root of my prob as stated in prev emails

          sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.us.pool.ntp.org
          Password:
          39478 53039.705 48956.0 10.1 2621886.0 104751.6 0

          instantly returns me to a shell prompt with no hanging.

          sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg list_installed | grep ntp
          ntpclient - 2003_194-3 - Using RFC1305 (NTP), retrieves a remote date and
          time

          sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg files ntpclient
          Package ntpclient (2003_194-3) is installed on root and has the following
          files:
          /opt/bin/ntpclient
          /opt/sbin/adjtimex

          sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/bin/ntpclient
          -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13804 Jun 16 2006 /opt/bin/ntpclient

          sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/sbin/adjtimex
          -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4680 Jun 16 2006 /opt/sbin/adjtimex
        • Brendan Reid
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2 8:39 AM
            wierder and wierder.....

            On 02/02/2008, Scott Ruckh <sruckh@...> wrote:

            > This is what you said Brendan Reid
            >
            > > Scott,
            > >
            > > Ok thanks for clarifyng your approach Scott, I appreciate your time.
            > >
            > > I have done exacty the same but no luck. Actually, just rebooted to
            > > see if this would help but found i didnt have diversion script setup
            > > for sshd so it took me some time to get back via telnet....
            > >
            > > please can you run this command on your system
            > >
            > > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org
            > >
            > > this command hangs/goes into endless loop for me and i believe this is
            > > the root of my prob as stated in prev emails
            >
            > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.us.pool.ntp.org
            > Password:
            > 39478 53039.705 48956.0 10.1 2621886.0 104751.6 0
            >
            > instantly returns me to a shell prompt with no hanging.
            >
            > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg list_installed | grep ntp
            > ntpclient - 2003_194-3 - Using RFC1305 (NTP), retrieves a remote date and
            > time
            >
            > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg files ntpclient
            > Package ntpclient (2003_194-3) is installed on root and has the following
            > files:
            > /opt/bin/ntpclient
            > /opt/sbin/adjtimex
            >
            > sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/bin/ntpclient
            > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13804 Jun 16 2006 /opt/bin/ntpclient
            >
            > sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/sbin/adjtimex
            > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4680 Jun 16 2006 /opt/sbin/adjtimex

            All above is same for me.

            I forced reinstall
            # sudo ipkg install ntpclient -force-reinstall
            Reinstalling ntpclient (2003_194-3) on root...
            Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/ntpclient_2003_194-3_armeb.ipk
            Configuring ntpclient

            # sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h uk.pool.ntp.org

            [HANGS until CTRL-C]

            # sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.uk.pool.ntp.org

            [HANGS until CTRL-C]

            ARGGGHHH!!!! (tried many other servers incl yours - no dice)

            --- 0.uk.pool.ntp.org ping statistics ---
            round-trip min/avg/max = 32.980/35.567/40.150 ms

            read ntptrouble shooting section - nothing jumps out...

            new things tried

            1) confirmed port 123 hole in router firewall for UDP and TCP - no
            change - ping was working prev anyway so no surprise

            2) used ntp web browser based support check via slug browser w3m - it
            works and receives time update via

            #w3m http://support.ntp.org/ntpq.php

            ARRRRGHH!!!

            bren
          • Brendan Reid
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 5 2:48 PM
              guys any more thoughts / alternatives
              after trying a lot of things still no dice with ntpclient command as per below
              bren

            • Bob Cox
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 6 12:09 AM
                In article <b1bf985c0802051448o5b69f328t3ff83ad7ef13d5db@...>,
                Brendan Reid <brenreid@...> wrote:

                > guys any more thoughts / alternatives
                > after trying a lot of things still no dice with ntpclient command as per below
                > bren

                Well, an alternative might be ntpdate:

                gaia:/home/bob# ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
                6 Feb 08:03:32 ntpdate[24296]: adjust time server 194.238.48.3 offset -0.012314 sec

                Note that I am *not* using Unslung so this may not be useful advice
                after all ;-)

                Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/
                Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox.com/slug/
              • Brendan Reid
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 6 11:04 AM
                   bob

                  thanks for trying
                  but ipkg install ntpdate
                  does not install anything

                  bren

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 6 11:51 AM
                    In article <b1bf985c0802061104w3f48a12bgfc48b461fe5fc96b@...>,
                    Brendan Reid <brenreid@...> wrote:

                    > ------=_Part_25056_8020675.1202324651129
                    >
                    > bob
                    >
                    > thanks for trying
                    > but ipkg install ntpdate
                    > does not install anything
                    >
                    > bren

                    No, it probably won't. I expect you need to get ntp but only use
                    ntpdate and not the rest of the package.

                    http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.php?package=ntp&id=14893980&official=&format=

                    seems to have details on this package.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 8 5:24 PM
                      Weyhey!