Re: slug clock wierdness

  • rolandkbs
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2008
      1. Install ntpclient: ipkg install ntpclient
      2. Add the following line to /etc/crontab: (it's all on one line)

      1 * * * * root /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.pool.ntp.org >
      /var/log/ntp.log && hwclock --systohc --utc

      That's it.
      Roland

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheClockUsingAdjtimexAndNtpclient

> [...]
      > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 83 Jun 21 2007 S05coreutils
      > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 222 Feb 1 23:57 S10ntp
      > > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Sep 30 03:36 S30iptables ->
      > > > /opt/etc/iptables.sh
      > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 159 Oct 4 20:32 S33ddclient
      > > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Oct 5 18:15 S35mythttpd ->
      > > > /opt/sbin/webserverreboot
      > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 101 Oct 10 20:11 S36gnump3d
      > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 164 Sep 8 08:45 S40sshd
      > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 108 Jul 17 2006 S55portmap
      > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 476 Sep 18 21:54 S56nfs-utils
      > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 273 Sep 9 10:12 S57rsyncd
      > > > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 313 Sep 24 23:18 S60mt-daapd
      > > >
      > > > if i now manually run S10ntp as below (i double checked I am
      using the
      > > > exact
      > > > script on the wiki page) i get the following screen output and
      the script
      > > > seems caught in a loop (i have to CTRL-C out of it......)
      > > >
      > > > # ./S10ntp
      > > > mode: 16384
      > > > -o offset: 0
      > > > -f frequency: 0
      > > > maxerror: 16384000
      > > > esterror: 16384000
      > > > status: 64 ( UNSYNC )
      > > > -p timeconstant: 2
      > > > precision: 1
      > > > tolerance: 33554432
      > > > -t tick: 10000
      > > > time.tv_sec: 1201911669
      > > > time.tv_usec: 244468
      > > > return value: 5 (clock not synchronized)

      > > > if i manually try to run the 6th line of the script i get the same.
      > > > if i ping pool.ntp.org i get no problem
      > > >
      > > > ideas?
      > > >
      > > > bren
      > > >
      > > > ____________
      > > > here is my copy of script
      > > > ______________
      > > > #!/bin/sh
      > > > if [ -n "`pidof ntpclient`" ]; then
      > > > /bin/killall ntpclient 2>/dev/null
      > > > fi
      > > > /opt/sbin/adjtimex -t 10000
      > > > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org > /var/log/ntp.log
      > > > hwclock --systohc --utc
      > > >

      > > Actually that second recipe never worked for me.
      > >
      > > I run the the /unslunc/rc.rstxxxx script at boot, and then I just
      have a
      > > cron job the syncs the clock every 20 minutes.
      > >
      > > I never could get the ntpclient to keep time when running in
      daemon mode
      > > (as suggested in the recipe).
      > >
      > > More or less I only do the top section.
      >

      > now i am confused!!!!!!
      >
      > either i use the script at the top plus cron (which uses ntpclient)
      > or i use the diversion scripts at the bottom (which uses ntpclient)
      >
      > your post says you only use the top half of what? An orange?
      > if you are only running the first script /unslung/rc.rstxxxx the only
      > command that changes the clock is
      >
      > /usr/sbin/hwclock --adjust
      >
      > but where is this adjustment coming from and relative to what?
      >
      > as in my original post when i run
      > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org

    • Brendan Reid
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
        Scott,

        Ok thanks for clarifyng your approach Scott, I appreciate your time.

        I have done exacty the same but no luck. Actually, just rebooted to
        see if this would help but found i didnt have diversion script setup
        for sshd so it took me some time to get back via telnet....

        please can you run this command on your system

        /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org

        this command hangs/goes into endless loop for me and i believe this is
        the root of my prob as stated in prev emails

        thanks
        bren
      • Brendan Reid
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
          @ roland - that's what i tried first....no luck here for some strange reason
          bren
        • Scott Ruckh
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
            This is what you said Brendan Reid
            > Scott,
            >
            > Ok thanks for clarifyng your approach Scott, I appreciate your time.
            >
            > I have done exacty the same but no luck. Actually, just rebooted to
            > see if this would help but found i didnt have diversion script setup
            > for sshd so it took me some time to get back via telnet....
            >
            > please can you run this command on your system
            >
            > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org
            >
            > this command hangs/goes into endless loop for me and i believe this is
            > the root of my prob as stated in prev emails

            sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.us.pool.ntp.org
            Password:
            39478 53039.705 48956.0 10.1 2621886.0 104751.6 0

            instantly returns me to a shell prompt with no hanging.

            sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg list_installed | grep ntp
            ntpclient - 2003_194-3 - Using RFC1305 (NTP), retrieves a remote date and
            time

            sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg files ntpclient
            Package ntpclient (2003_194-3) is installed on root and has the following
            files:
            /opt/bin/ntpclient
            /opt/sbin/adjtimex

            sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/bin/ntpclient
            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13804 Jun 16 2006 /opt/bin/ntpclient

            sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/sbin/adjtimex
            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4680 Jun 16 2006 /opt/sbin/adjtimex
          • Brendan Reid
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2008
              wierder and wierder.....

              On 02/02/2008, Scott Ruckh <sruckh@...> wrote:

              > This is what you said Brendan Reid
              >
              > > Scott,
              > >
              > > Ok thanks for clarifyng your approach Scott, I appreciate your time.
              > >
              > > I have done exacty the same but no luck. Actually, just rebooted to
              > > see if this would help but found i didnt have diversion script setup
              > > for sshd so it took me some time to get back via telnet....
              > >
              > > please can you run this command on your system
              > >
              > > /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h pool.ntp.org
              > >
              > > this command hangs/goes into endless loop for me and i believe this is
              > > the root of my prob as stated in prev emails
              >
              > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.us.pool.ntp.org
              > Password:
              > 39478 53039.705 48956.0 10.1 2621886.0 104751.6 0
              >
              > instantly returns me to a shell prompt with no hanging.
              >
              > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg list_installed | grep ntp
              > ntpclient - 2003_194-3 - Using RFC1305 (NTP), retrieves a remote date and
              > time
              >
              > sruckh@slug: ~ $ sudo ipkg files ntpclient
              > Package ntpclient (2003_194-3) is installed on root and has the following
              > files:
              > /opt/bin/ntpclient
              > /opt/sbin/adjtimex
              >
              > sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/bin/ntpclient
              > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13804 Jun 16 2006 /opt/bin/ntpclient
              >
              > sruckh@slug: ~ $ ll /opt/sbin/adjtimex
              > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4680 Jun 16 2006 /opt/sbin/adjtimex

              All above is same for me.

              I forced reinstall
              # sudo ipkg install ntpclient -force-reinstall
              Reinstalling ntpclient (2003_194-3) on root...
              Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/cross/ntpclient_2003_194-3_armeb.ipk
              Configuring ntpclient

              # sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h uk.pool.ntp.org

              [HANGS until CTRL-C]

              # sudo /opt/bin/ntpclient -s -l -h 0.uk.pool.ntp.org

              [HANGS until CTRL-C]

              ARGGGHHH!!!! (tried many other servers incl yours - no dice)

              --- 0.uk.pool.ntp.org ping statistics ---
              round-trip min/avg/max = 32.980/35.567/40.150 ms

              read ntptrouble shooting section - nothing jumps out...

              new things tried

              1) confirmed port 123 hole in router firewall for UDP and TCP - no
              change - ping was working prev anyway so no surprise

              2) used ntp web browser based support check via slug browser w3m - it
              works and receives time update via

              #w3m http://support.ntp.org/ntpq.php

              ARRRRGHH!!!

              bren
            • Brendan Reid
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 5, 2008
                guys any more thoughts / alternatives
                after trying a lot of things still no dice with ntpclient command as per below
                bren

              • Bob Cox
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                  In article <b1bf985c0802051448o5b69f328t3ff83ad7ef13d5db@...>,
                  Brendan Reid <brenreid@...> wrote:

                  > guys any more thoughts / alternatives
                  > after trying a lot of things still no dice with ntpclient command as per below
                  > bren

                  Well, an alternative might be ntpdate:

                  gaia:/home/bob# ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org
                  6 Feb 08:03:32 ntpdate[24296]: adjust time server 194.238.48.3 offset -0.012314 sec

                  Note that I am *not* using Unslung so this may not be useful advice
                  after all ;-)

                  Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/
                  Debian on NSLU2 Slug: http://bobcox.com/slug/
                • Brendan Reid
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                     bob

                    thanks for trying
                    but ipkg install ntpdate
                    does not install anything

                    bren

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 6, 2008
                      In article <b1bf985c0802061104w3f48a12bgfc48b461fe5fc96b@...>,
                      Brendan Reid <brenreid@...> wrote:

                      > ------=_Part_25056_8020675.1202324651129
                      >
                      > bob
                      >
                      > thanks for trying
                      > but ipkg install ntpdate
                      > does not install anything
                      >
                      > bren

                      No, it probably won't. I expect you need to get ntp but only use
                      ntpdate and not the rest of the package.

                      http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/details.php?package=ntp&id=14893980&official=&format=

                      seems to have details on this package.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 8, 2008
                        Weyhey!